Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you!

DS likes doing this, trying to make others look stupid (it's not just me; I have seen a few he has done this very same thing with). We'll see if he admits to being the stupid one this time around.

No problem. I could be the grammar nazi from Hell around here if I wanted to be. I choose not to do that. This time, though, I couldn't resist. A grammar nazi who has no business being a grammar nazi was more than I could take.

giphy.gif

There are many sites on the interwebs where one can find the correct use of commas, and examples of such. Each one I visited supported my usage of the "interrupter comma". This is from the very first site that popped up in a Google search.

First, my original post: Do you know better about Chris Weinke, or anyone else on HIS coaching staff, than Jeremy Pruitt?

From, Rules for Comma Usage

Parenthetical Elements
Interrupters are little thoughts that pop up in the middle of a sentence to show emotion, tone, or emphasis. A parenthetical element is a phrase that adds extra information to the sentence but could be removed without changing the meaning of the sentence. Both interrupters and parenthetical elements should be set off with commas.

Incorrect
The weather I was happy to see was beginning to clear.

Correct
The weather, I was happy to see, was beginning to clear.

Incorrect
Geoff’s cooking skills if you can call them skills left something to be desired.

Correct
Geoff’s cooking skills, if you can call them skills, left something to be desired.

Incorrect
It was sadly the last day of camp.

Correct
It was, sadly, the last day of camp.

Incorrect
Mary unlike Anne is very organized.

Correct
Mary, unlike Anne, is very organized.

Again, you are wrong, which is cool, man...we ALL are at one time or another...this happens to be your time. Now, you can start laughing at yourself.
That comma after "staff" is not superfluous; it is essential. It is being used to set off a parenthetical phrase between it and the other comma. Trust me on this. I taught English for 38 years.

Well here's where I eat crow for being a dumbass lol
Honestly, I totally missed the first comma there. Thought you'd just randomly thrown one in between staff and than for some reason. Should have read the post more closely before needling you!

Reactions: SugarCC
Well here's where I eat crow for being a dumbass lol
Honestly, I totally missed the first comma there. Thought you'd just randomly thrown one in between staff and than for some reason. Should have read the post more closely before needling you!

i hate when people argue about punctuation

Am I missing something? Nebraska was 4-8 last year and lost to Troy.

2018 Nebraska Cornhuskers football team - Wikipedia

Lost close to Colorado, who wound up firing their coach
Lost to Troy
Blown out at Michigan
Lost pretty handily to Purdue at home and at Wisconsin
Lost in OT at Northwestern, a tough out.

I guess this is where Huskers will say the turn-around happened.

Blew out Minnesota at home. Minny went 7-6 (3-6)
Blew out their FCS opponent Bethune Cookman
Gave Ohio State a scare
Beat Illinois wermp wermp
Slugfested Michigan State to a 9-6 victory. Mich State went 7-6 (5-4) on the year
Barely lost at Iowa, who got ranked only after bowl season to a whopping #25 spot.

People are overestimating one of two, or possibly both, things here:

1) Scott Frost, and his turnaround of UCF. He took a winless team to 6-7 in his first year and went undefeated the next. Nebraska isn't in the AAC, they're in the legitimately second best conference in the country. And they're in the middle of nowhere recruiting-wise.

2) Nebraska is a sleeping giant. Not with the emphasis on recruiting nowadays and how far behind they are behind Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State. I did read something (headline, not the article because WGAF) where he's trying to revive the walk-on program, which was the bread and butter from the 90's, supposedly.

He is recruiting well for Nebraska though. Mike Riley was signing classes ranked around 30th or lower in the country-- averaging only 3 or 4 blue chips in the class. Frost has put that on the uptick, but only marginally-- last two classes have been in the 20's, signing 6 blue chips apiece. Maybe he gets that walk-on system off the ground and they can become a power, but I doubt they'll be beating Ohio State and Michigan any time before we beat Florida or Georgia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back