Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't wrap my head around it. Consensual adult sex (we assume that's what those calls led to) is nowhere near as bad as running a rape factory. Kendal isn't his dad and he shouldn't have to pay for his crimes *but* he was there and there's tons of smoke that he and every other Baylor assistant were a part of covering it all up.
I really don't disagree it's assaults of the sort that will turn your stomach too. I know I wouldn't want him as my first choice, but I also know I'd want forgiveness, he isn't charged with anything, and he's actively coaching already.

I can't wrap my head around it. Consensual adult sex (we assume that's what those calls led to) is nowhere near as bad as running a rape factory. Kendal isn't his dad and he shouldn't have to pay for his crimes *but* he was there and there's tons of smoke that he and every other Baylor assistant were a part of covering it all up.

Two big assumptions there. First, you don't know that the decision to pass on Freeze was based only on the publicly available information. Second, you are assuming that we should pass on Briles because of what might be true, but isn't public. There may be far more on Freeze that isn't public, and less on Briles than you assume.

Reactions: Smokeytom
Liberty is going to be brutalized when that hire gets announced. A christian school of all places hiring him...

I'm not sure you can call a school founded by Jerry Falwell 'christian.' Yeah, they're conservative and have a lot of restrictions but christian is far from the first thought that comes to mind.

Two big assumptions there. First, you don't know that the decision to pass on Freeze was based only on the publicly available information. Second, you are assuming that we should pass on Briles because of what might be true, but isn't public. There may be far more on Freeze that isn't public, and less on Briles than you assume.

Possibly. It just makes little sense from an optics standpoint to pass on the guy who likes hookers but go for the guy who helped his dad suppress rape investigations. One is far worse than the other but all we heard when it came to Freeze was tons of hand wringing about how controversial it might be. As a member of the general public, I'm more concerned about what Kendal was involved in than anything Freeze has been accused of and that's how it will play to most of the general public.

The whiff of looking the other way was enough for us to go ballistic over Schiano but we're suddenly 'ok' with a guy who was a part of a team that systematically quashed rape investigations? That just doesn't sit well with me.

From a purely football standpoint, he'd be a great hire but it speaks to our (and everyone else's) desperation to win at all costs that he's even employable at this point. He wouldn't be in any other field. If we're ok with that fine but we will be hypocrites -- no way around it.

Possibly. It just makes little sense from an optics standpoint to pass on the guy who likes hookers but go for the guy who helped his dad suppress rape investigations. One is far worse than the other but all we heard when it came to Freeze was tons of hand wringing about how controversial it might be. As a member of the general public, I'm more concerned about what Kendal was involved in than anything Freeze has been accused of and that's how it will play to most of the general public.

The whiff of looking the other way was enough for us to go ballistic over Schiano but we're suddenly 'ok' with a guy who was a part of a team that systematically quashed rape investigations? That just doesn't sit well with me.

From a purely football standpoint, he'd be a great hire but it speaks to our (and everyone else's) desperation to win at all costs that he's even employable at this point. He wouldn't be in any other field. If we're ok with that fine but we will be hypocrites -- no way around it.
So let's see what happens, and hope for the best.

Reactions: Weezer

At one time I had been pretty familiar with the facts of what happened down at Baylor, but I can’t remember all of it now. In any case, these Title IX proceedings on campuses are a total farce (along with many of the allegations that come before them), and I think it is uncharitable to essentially accuse Briles of systematically facilitating rape.

Also worth noting that I think you are mischaracterizing the nature of the concerns most were voicing about Freeze. I (and I’m sure many others) find Freeze’s ostentatious and (dare I say, cynically, perhaps) opportunistic publicly religious persona, combined with his apparent taste for hookers, deeply problematic; however, I think it was pretty clear that most people here had more questions/concerns about what may or may not have occurred at Briarcrest than about his hooker habit.

So let's see what happens, and hope for the best.

It's really the only option we, in the peanut gallery, have. I have little doubt that Kendal would've done whatever his father told him to do. I just hope that the man he is today isn't the one he might've been then.

Reactions: DD4ME
At one time I had been pretty familiar with the facts of what happened down at Baylor, but I can’t remember all of it now. In any case, these Title IX proceedings on campuses are a total farce (along with many of the allegations that come before them), and I think it is uncharitable to essentially accuse Briles of systematically facilitating rape.

Also worth noting that I think you are mischaracterizing the nature of the concerns most were voicing about Freeze. I (and I’m sure many others) find Freeze’s ostentatious and (dare I say, cynically, perhaps) opportunistic publicly religious persona, combined with his apparent taste for hookers, deeply problematic; however, I think it was pretty clear that most people here had more questions/concerns about what may or may not have occurred at Briarcrest than about his hooker habit.

Oh, Hugh is a pile of sleaze and a fake christian (which makes him perfect for Jerry Falwell U, fwiw). It's just that I can live with his baggage because I'm not interested in marrying him and his sleaziness is something that only really effects his partner and family. With regards to Briarcrest, I think that's a red herring. He was a weirdo there (that much is on the record) but the fact that no one came forward to accuse him of being more than a weirdo speaks volumes. He has money and could've been sued into oblivion if he'd done anything untoward but that didn't happen and to be honest when his fall finally happened I had hoped/expected it would. But there was never any 'there there' with the Briarcrest stuff and if it was ever going to come out that was the time it would've happened.

And I don't think Kendal or even Art facilitated rape (that's actually a crime) but I do believe they covered it up in the sense that they did all they could do to hinder investigations. I don't even think they did it out of malice but much like JoePa they did do it out of a sense of protecting their own asses and just not wanting to deal with what was happening.

Hyams tweeted that McBride is transferring to Blinn Junior College in Texas. He says he will be eligible to transfer and play to a four year school this Fall. Can anyone explain that to me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back