Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding Chaney. The kid from Arkansas, Brandon Allen, had 20 tds his second year with Chaney. Jacob Eason as a freshman is the only qb Chaney hasn't gotten to 20 tds in a season. He had 16 as a freshman with over 2400 yards in Chaney's first year there. The next year Fromm got 24 and then 30 last year.

Another thing I noticed is 2017 is the only year since 2009 that a TE in a Chaney offense has gotten less than 344 yards. Issaac Nauta only had 114 that season. But I think he was battling injury most of the season and only played 8 games. Had 361 the year before and 430 the year after. He's had a TE go for as many as 562 yards in a season, Rivera in 2012. He's had a lot of tight ends drafted too. Luke Stocker, Mychal Rivera, Hunter Henry and Issaac Nauta were all drafted. The only team he didn't get a TE drafted for was Pitt who had J.P. Holtz get 350 yards his year with Chaney and signed as an undrafted free agent the following year. He is still listed on the Redskins roster though I don't think he ever played a regular season game.

Since 2009 he's only had 2 seasons without a thousand yard rusher as well. 2011 had Poole lead the team with 693 and 2012 had Rajion Neal get 708. But Marlin Lane also had 658 that year so he did get some rushing production. And we all know the rushing production he got at Arkansas and Georgia with 3 different RB tandems getting 1,000 yards each in the same season.

I didn't really look at the WRs but we all know he's done good there too. Just saw yer comment about qbs throwing 20 tds and also heard a comment, I believe from Nieds, about some crazy stat he heard about TE stats in Chaney offenses and got curious. Because I remember people claiming he didn't use TEs enough at Georgia. I'm also curious about how much Chaney has thrown to RBs so maybe I'll look at that next. Seems like he always has, but interested in the stats.
Here are receiving stats for running backs in Chaney's offenses (only listing those that went over 100 yards for the season):

2009 Tennessee
Hardesty 25 rec 302 yards
Bryce Brown 10 rec 137 yards
Kevin Cooper 12 rec 102 yards

2010 Tennessee
Poole 22 rec 171 yards
Neal 7 rec 100 yards

2011 Tennessee
Neal 13 rec 269 yards
Poole 21 rec 164 yards
Lane 17 rec 161 yards

2012 Tennessee
Lane 29 rec 228 yards
Neal 19 rec 149 yards
Bartholomew 11 rec 102 yards

2013 Arkansas
Kiero Small 19 rec 128

2014 Arkansas
None over 100 yards

2015 Pitt
None over 100 yards

2016 Georgia
Sony 22 rec 149 yards

2017 Georgia
Swift 17 rec 153 yards
Sony came close with 96

2018 Georgia
Swift 32 rec 297 yards

So his first time around with us he really used rbs as receivers quite a bit. Got away from in at Arkansas and Pitt, maybe because they didn't have those kinda rbs there. And then started going back to it more at Georgia. I know I'm not going out on a limb here but I could see Ty and Gray getting a lot of receiving production under Chaney.

I really don't know on development. We've heard JG imply he basically couldn't make any calls at the line. On one hand, that's so insane that it's hard to believe but on the other, all the live action audibles are a major part of development imo. If that wasn't allowed or worked on...just oof.
From that TA article, Leach wants his guys making ~70%+ of the calls/audibles on their own.

Granted, his offense is absurdly simplistic. All the QBs said that every HS in the country runs a more complicated system than his. A true "basketball on grass" offense.

But I agree calling things is a big part of development. Leach develops guys and he puts it mostly on them. Makes JG's development even more impressive. Went from scrub to stud.

He's so incompetent they were a play away from a national title in just year 2? I'd take that sort of incompetency all day here. Please please please let's have it this year lol
🤣 I know it's crazy!

I think it had more to do with the talent and assistant coaches on the team. Had some turnover in the offseason with coaches and I expect regression with UGA.

Reactions: Devo182
I was more talking about helping with mechanics and speeding up the clock in his head. Which despite people's eye tests, statistically he cut his sacks per dropback in half last year. Which is pretty significant IMO. But yeah not letting him make calls at the line and audibles is pretty dumb. Was just trying to give Helton a little credit for something but who knows how much he helped or if that was just JG working hard on it and making a natural progression. haha

I think Helton is good with QBs. That is separate from playing Madden irl.

🤣 I know it's crazy!

I think it had more to do with the talent and assistant coaches on the team. Had some turnover in the offseason with coaches and I expect regression with UGA.
Let's hope it was a blip. I agree big downgrades at assistant positions. On the flipside, #1 and #2 classes are just hitting the field. Talent like they've never had before top to bottom. They are hitting Bama level talent...now let's see if they go Bama level winning or USC/FSU level implosions.

In Charleston, SC for the weekend, I’d call it a swanky New Orleans! Lol
Just had a die hard Bama fan for an Uber driver, was actually a cool dude. Actually said good luck to them Vols this year! Lol

Not a good thing when they start wishing us luck. Fuzz that guy. We need them to hate us with a passion again. Then we'll be back.

How many games does each athlete have to sit out or do we know? For the record, I don't like it when somebody is missing or hurt against us? That usually means some backup with have the game of his life and go back to 4th string two weeks later.

According to MSU article I found, it said that all players who were involved will have to sit out 8 games this year. Also they can NOT RS or medical wavier out of this. They will lose this game time and year of eligibility.

Actually got leg press today. 683 pounds. None of those bounce it off the bottom reps like that cat in here yesterday. Low and slow baby 😎
Nice! Vulnerable moment here. I remember squatting and going really deep, as I like to do unless it super heavy, and my shorts ripped. I was dumb enough to post a picture at the gym with my shorts with a “gettin it in” quote. 🤦‍♂️

Reactions: nicksjuzunk
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back