Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
On Chaney coaching up the OL yesterday...

-Rob Lewis

And I, for one, am thankful we have an OC that will do this. He knows how the whole offense is suppose to run and how to coach each position. This is only a good thing as it helps this offense get on the right track even more quickly. He's doing his job so Imma just sit back with a protein shake and a box of cheeze-its and

giphy.gif

I would go to this man's church because that preaches like a National Champion. If this old fart could do gifs, then I would post one with applause. That is awesome!
It's almost as annoying as people mocking athletes for eating poorly...

I am pretty sure there was some idiot on Twitter giving Morant & another Grizz player the 3rd degree cause they were "caught" on camera eating like chili cheese fries and stuff at a game. Like people in glass houses man...

People are indeed...the absolute worst.

Reactions: MoCo_Vol
It really gets on my nerves that people hold McGill being a preacher over his head when he speaks his mind on a message board. Imagine being that big of a douchebag.

Eh, I like McGill even though we have had our disagreements. He’s a Vol.

No one is perfect, but he says some things sometimes that I wouldn’t approve even he wasn’t a preacher. Some positions just have a little higher standard than others. There are many on here who aren’t preachers who have never called anyone a dickhead.

I have imperfections, too, so I need work. I would just encourage him to work on his responses sometimes. Nonetheless, he has a great story, and I appreciate what he does. We need more people with his story.

From Stewart Mandels mailbag with the Athletic when asked if he ever sees Tennessee being a top 10 program again after how bad the last decade plus has been.

Yes, I have witnessed something similar. Allow me to familiarize you with Oklahoma Sooners football during the decade between Barry Switzer’s departure (1989) and Bob Stoops’ out-of-nowhere national championship in his second season (2000). Over 11 seasons, OU — which holds a .724 all-time winning percentage, sixth-best nationally — went 68-55-3. Though slightly better than Tennessee’s 67-70 mark in its past 11 seasons, the Sooners’ dark years at one point included five consecutive non-winning seasons, including a 3-8 mark in 1996 and 4-8 in ’97.

Fun fact: I sat in the stands at Soldier Field for the 1997 Pigskin Classic, in which Northwestern beat Oklahoma 24-0 and not a single person in the stadium considered the result surprising. Even worse for the Sooners, that Northwestern team went on to finish 5-7.

Then Stoops arrived, and the rest is history.

So yes, I absolutely think Tennessee can get back to being a Top 10 team. The school’s got all the fan support and resources you need to build a powerhouse program, it’s just made some staggeringly bad coaching hires over the past decade. Just like Oklahoma did in the ’90s with Howard Schnellenberger (who, like Lane Kiffin, lasted just one season) and John Blake (12-22 in three seasons).

The counterpoint I’ve heard from some — including my podcast co-host — is that Tennessee will never return to glory either because it has to recruit out-of-state against Georgia and Clemson, both of which are in a much loftier place than when Phil Fulmer was winning in Knoxville. To which I’d say, the state of Oklahoma is not exactly teeming with elite football prospects, and Stoops had to recruit against peak-Mack Brown in the state of Texas. He did alright.

The more interesting “can they ever get back?” subject is Nebraska, which, at its peak, was the most dominant program in the entire sport but has not won a conference championship in 20 years and is coming off consecutive 4-8 seasons. I absolutely believe Scott Frost will have the Huskers winning double-digit games and Big Ten West titles by 2020 at the latest, but can Nebraska — with zero geographic advantages and its history defined by a no-longer en vogue offense — get back to the same heights as former rival Oklahoma today?

If you ask me which program is more likely to win a national championship in the next decade, Nebraska or Tennessee, I’d still take the Vols, even without yet knowing whether Jeremy Pruitt will prove to be the next Kirby Smart or the next Derek Dooley. It can still recruit Top 10 classes every year; Nebraska cannot.

It's almost as annoying as people mocking athletes for eating poorly...

I am pretty sure there was some idiot on Twitter giving Morant & another Grizz player the 3rd degree cause they were "caught" on camera eating like chili cheese fries and stuff at a game. Like people in glass houses man...

I’m a millennial, but I absolutely hate what social media has done to our generation and culture in general. It’s even worse with Gen Z’ers.

No one is perfect, but he says some things sometimes that I wouldn’t approve even he wasn’t a preacher. Some positions just have a little higher standard than others. There are many on here who aren’t preachers who have never called anyone a dickhead.

I have imperfections, too, so I need work. I would just encourage him to work on his responses sometimes. Nonetheless, he has a great story, and I appreciate what he does. We need more people with his story.

I feel like there's an "I'm Spartacus" moment coming where everyone calls everyone else a dickhead. Ya dickhead :)

From Stewart Mandels mailbag with the Athletic when asked if he ever sees Tennessee being a top 10 program again after how bad the last decade plus has been.

Yes, I have witnessed something similar. Allow me to familiarize you with Oklahoma Sooners football during the decade between Barry Switzer’s departure (1989) and Bob Stoops’ out-of-nowhere national championship in his second season (2000). Over 11 seasons, OU — which holds a .724 all-time winning percentage, sixth-best nationally — went 68-55-3. Though slightly better than Tennessee’s 67-70 mark in its past 11 seasons, the Sooners’ dark years at one point included five consecutive non-winning seasons, including a 3-8 mark in 1996 and 4-8 in ’97.

Fun fact: I sat in the stands at Soldier Field for the 1997 Pigskin Classic, in which Northwestern beat Oklahoma 24-0 and not a single person in the stadium considered the result surprising. Even worse for the Sooners, that Northwestern team went on to finish 5-7.

So yes, I absolutely think Tennessee can get back to being a Top 10 team. The school’s got all the fan support and resources you need to build a powerhouse program, it’s just made some staggeringly bad coaching hires over the past decade. Just like Oklahoma did in the ’90s with Howard Schnellenberger (who, like Lane Kiffin, lasted just one season) and John Blake (12-22 in three seasons).

The counterpoint I’ve heard from some — including my podcast co-host — is that Tennessee will never return to glory either because it has to recruit out-of-state against Georgia and Clemson, both of which are in a much loftier place than when Phil Fulmer was winning in Knoxville. To which I’d say, the state of Oklahoma is not exactly teeming with elite football prospects, and Stoops had to recruit against peak-Mack Brown in the state of Texas. He did alright.

The more interesting “can they ever get back?” subject is Nebraska, which, at its peak, was the most dominant program in the entire sport but has not won a conference championship in 20 years and is coming off consecutive 4-8 seasons. I absolutely believe Scott Frost will have the Huskers winning double-digit games and Big Ten West titles by 2020 at the latest, but can Nebraska — with zero geographic advantages and its history defined by a no-longer en vogue offense — get back to the same heights as former rival Oklahoma today?

If you ask me which program is more likely to win a national championship in the next decade, Nebraska or Tennessee, I’d still take the Vols, even without yet knowing whether Jeremy Pruitt will prove to be the next Kirby Smart or the next Derek Dooley. It can still recruit Top 10 classes every year; Nebraska cannot.
That was shockingly well thought out and accurate.

the only thing i'd counter him on in regards to Nebraska is the difference in the two divisions NE and TN play in.

NE's path to the big 10 title game is waaaaay easier than ours, so if nothing else, i might give them the edge because they have an easier path to being 1 game away from the playoff potentially.....i mean, they could potentially win their division THIS year.

on the rest, i agree. 90's OU is a good comp........

He's not being a preacher in here though, he's being a fan on a message board. A mostly anonymous message board where he chose to voluntarily to share his story. As far as I'm concerned, he can say pretty much whatever the hell he wants.

the only thing i'd counter him on in regards to Nebraska is the difference in the two divisions NE and TN play in.

NE's path to the big 10 title game is waaaaay easier than ours, so if nothing else, i might give them the edge because they have an easier path to being 1 game away from the playoff potentially.....i mean, they could potentially win their division THIS year.

on the rest, i agree. 90's OU is a good comp........
And they hired a NC winning DC who had no previous HC experience. 😏

Nice to read someone with common sense.

Stewart gets it.

Mandel makes good points. Add in the assumption that everything will remain the same when it comes to recruiting is dumb. All one has to do is look at the population explosion in and around Nashville to understand what has been will not always be. UT needs to own its own statewide turf and then Oklahoma the rest, especially in the Atlanta area. Which is what they did in the more successful years.

McGill - ignore the attacks and keep being you. It's a message board, so message. Have fun with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back