Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm always interested to see what opposing fans think about their position groups before the season starts. Obviously new players get a lot of attention and high expectations, usually a bit more than they actually produce. I don't claim to be an expert on Pruitt's defense, but inside linebacker is normally a tough position for true freshmen to excel. They have more flexible responsibilities than any other position and offensive coordinators use every trick in the book to take those guys out of the play. Purely speculation, but I'd pencil Ignont (who I thought showed flashes) and maybe even a guy like Reid in ahead of Crouch and To'oto'o, at least early on. But, that's just a guess based on other players and other teams.

That’s a whole lotta text there partner.

Reactions: chargervol
anyone with any kinda experience in drawing up floor plans ? cant find any help without paying arm and leg to get a plan drawing that I may not even like. looking into a simple steel shop building with a closed off 1000 square foot or so of living quarters.
Are you the same guy asking about this on GRM as well?

Last edited:
If we assume only the guys that are available today are the guys we will have this fall then we should be able to set a reasonable ceiling for wins. Of course there are catastrophic scenarios with injuries or disciplinary issues and such but that’s not the ceiling; that’s wild speculation, hopefully. So the ceiling right now should be without Trey Smith, Aubrey Solomon, Deangelo Gibbs, and maybe Brandon Kennedy and Jauan Jennings are limited at best. Everyone else should be at 100% and ready to go unless something additional hasn’t been reported yet.

I think the first and most important key to increasing our number of wins this year starts with ATTITUDE. We have to show up to PLAY every game and not just show up for the cameras and go through the motions. Pruitt says that a team is usually going to take on the personality of its coach. He also said there were times last year when he was less focused on the team than he was on setting up other aspects of the football program he wants to build here. There were other issues last year that have already been discussed a number of times, leadership on the team, frustration within both the team and staff, etc. We need everybody on the same page from the start of fall camp until the last whistle blows for our season.

We showed flashes of playing winning football at times last year but that wasn’t the norm. I think at least some of that can be attributed to having a lot of young guys playing and a lack of experience in critical roles on the staff. Our players are a bit older and both the guys and the staff should be mostly more experienced. I’m not in the talent issue camp because I think Vandy, Kentucky, Missouri, and probably Mississippi State and South Carolina would have likely taken most of our players.

The second most important key to increasing our number of wins this year is keeping the other team off the scoreboard. I will be shocked if our offense doesn’t improve significantly this year but I sincerely doubt the guys we have now on offense can win shootouts. The defense has to take a giant leap forward in preventing such shootouts if we are to win more games. The chart below shows the changes in scoring defense from year to year for conference teams vs other conference teams since A&M and Missouri joined the SEC. Obviously the offense and special teams can play a role in helping the defense but ultimately the defense will have to man up if we’re going to have significant improvement in the win column. Last year we had 48% returning production on defense; this year we have 76%. Last year Kentucky had 90% returning defensive production; this year they have 39%. You get the idea.

Teams that improved in scoring defense average about 6-7 points improvement per year with outliers in the 14 point range. If we can only achieve average improvement I would tend to agree that the ceiling for wins this year isn’t all that high but if we can achieve outlier performance then the ceiling I think goes much higher. If we’re giving up 30 points per game in the SEC this year then we’ll probably make a bowl game but if we can limit our opponents to something much closer to 20 then we might get to 9 or 10 wins. jmo.

ScreenHunter 196.png

The Kerry Blackshear Thread

Basketball grad transfer from VT. Many thought for a while we'd get him but he announced last night he was going to be a gata.
Tried to learn a little about the situation last night. Scrolled 3 pages of to fire or not to fire Barnes, decided I didn't care that much and bailed.

They were killing my fb buzz, man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back