Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn’t say that I would take those coaches. But they are only a handful that should even be in the thought of being ahead of calipari. You said Mr. lose to a 16 seed while scoring 40ppg Tony Bennett is a better coach than Cal 😂😂😂

Yep. He does WAY more with WAY less than Cal.

Btw I have been to a Kentucky practice and let's just say it was very evident the structure is far far from there for those guys.

Yep. He does WAY more with WAY less than Cal.

Btw I have been to a Kentucky practice and let's just say it was very evident the structure is far far from there for those guys.

He lost to a 16 seed...and he also has never made it pass the Elite 8... what are you talking about.

A mediocre coach doesn’t win a title. And make 4 final fours. Literally nothing about him spells mediocre coach lol. If he and his results is mediocre then sign me

People saying they think Rick Barnes, Tony Bennet, and Eric Fn Musselnan over him to lead their program are high lol.
You sign the players he signs every year and even a mediocre coach will have a shot to win a title.

Butch Jones had enough talent to make the CFB and in 2015 was about 4 or 5 plays from being 11-1, and really that Arky game would have been different had we started the season off by beating UF anf OU like we should have. Problem was, Butch wasnt even a mediocre coach. Had he been, hed probably still be coaching here.

But, again, yes, there are several coaches I'd take over Cal. Barnes has more or less been .500 against him since arriving here and that's saying a lot considering what he had to work with the first year he got here. Hes done it with far less talent.

He lost to a 16 seed...and he also has never made it pass the Elite 8... what are you talking about.
Which 16 seed did he lose to again?

I do agree with your overall point though, this team HAS to make a run or people are going to turn on him because it's highly likely we wont have another team this good for a long, long time.

Barnes hasn’t made it to the sweet 16 in 10 years. We’re having an amazing year but it will all be for not if we get have an early exit again.

As I have said Barnes was an under achiever like Cal when it comes to talent reaching its potenial as a team. I think he's changed his entire recruiting/coaching approach. Without that Change I agree he isn't better than cal

If Cal coached our team the previous 3 years this tenn team would be a bubble team.
I think the psyche of the team we have would have still been successful with him as coach, but I wouldn't have them winning a share of the conference title last year. Probably finish 4th or 5th or something like that.

Given the talent level between UK and TN the last 4 years (basically the entire time Barnes has been here) he has outcoached Cal. Plain and simple.

Do me a favor name 2 guys on that Virginia team last year???

I'll bet you have to use the net to name one and that's the point. That team over achieved greatly to be the number 1 seed and for me that's much greater than some fluke 2 hours where lightning was caught in a bottle.

For the record I don't think Barnes would do any better than Cal with Cals players. In fact I think he would do worse because he does have structure and that takes time

Do me a favor name 2 guys on that Virginia team last year???

I'll bet you have to use the net to name one and that's the point. That team over achieved greatly to be the number 1 seed and for me that's much greater than some fluke 2 hours where lightning was caught in a bottle.

Ultimately that’s all that matters and it’s the same thing you’re using against Cal. You say Cal has underachieved but he’s won a title, lost in the tital game, made two final fours and two elite 8s.

No one cares if you win 30 games in the regular season if you lose in the first round. Bennet has had one two good years with an elite 8 and sweet 16 finish at Virginia.

So i guess you need decide which is more important in CBB, post season or regular season success.

Ultimately that’s all that matters and it’s the same thing you’re using against Cal. You say Cal has underachieved but he’s won a title, lost in the tital game, made two final fours and two elite 8s.

No one cares if you win 30 games in the regular season if you lose in the first round. Bennet has had one two good years with an elite 8 and sweet 16 finish at Virginia.

So i guess you need decide which is more important in CBB, post season or regular season success.

If you are Kentucky you are judged to a higher standard in both the regular season and post season. The roster and tradition dictate that.

The fact that cal has lost 9 or more games 5 of his 9 years is crazy bad at Kentucky with that talent.

So yea I have always valued the regular season more than most. The tourney is often times a crap shoot about match ups and one that I really don't think measures the true worth a team

Reactions: MockingVol
If you are Kentucky you are judged to a higher standard in both the regular season and post season. The roster and tradition dictate that.

The fact that cal has lost 9 or more games 5 of his 9 years is crazy bad at Kentucky with that talent.

So yea I have always valued the regular season more than most. The tourney is often times a crap shoot about match ups and one that I really don't think measures the true worth a team

Then that’s fine and i see why you’re putting Cal where you are. I guess i don’t think it matters how you’re regular season goes if you do well in the conference and ncaa tournaments.

For instance if holly snuck in as a 9 seed and made the final four, no one would care.

Reactions: Bret178
Then that’s fine and i see why you’re putting Cal where you are. I guess i don’t think it matters how you’re regular season goes if you do well in the conference and ncaa tournaments.

For instance if holly snuck in as a 9 seed and made the final four, no one would care.

I find it much more impressive to be elite for 4 months that getting a lucky draw and advancing past a weekend or 2 in the Tourney

For instance no one has mentioned the guy at K state as a great coach but yet he went to the elite 8 last year but was that a defining moment for him?

Imo what Bennent did last year was Much much more impressive than what Weber did last year.

Reactions: 1955bamavol
Lmao if Cal coached our team the last three years it would look exactly like he’s done at Kentucky. Come on

With our players ?

The post wasn't discussing how Cal would succeed as our coach but it was about how well our current roster would perform if he was our coach. Imo there is no was this team would play Nearly ad together and structured as they are now under Barnes if Cal coached them

Last edited:
I find it much more impressive to be elite for 4 months that getting a lucky draw and advancing past a weekend or 2 in the Tourney

For instance no one has mentioned the guy at K state as a great coach but yet he went to the elite 8 last year but was that a defining moment for him?

Imo what Bennent did last year was Much much more impressive than what Weber did last year.

Yea i agree with you some but at the end of the day especially when you’re at big programs it matters what you do in March. With that being said i will never complain about advancing to the sweet 16. If you’re one of the last 16 teams standing...you’ve had a good year.

Yea i agree with you some but at the end of the day especially when you’re at big programs it matters what you do in March. With that being said i will never complain about advancing to the sweet 16. If you’re one of the last 16 teams standing...you’ve had a good year.

Yea the nature of the sport has made it that way for the blue bloods I agree. I just don't find Virginia as an elite program so the early exit isn't as damning for Bennett as it would be if he coached at a blue blood

If I want to win at all costs I want my HC to have the officials and conference schedulers in his pocket like K, Izzo, Self, Williams and gang. To do that you have to be designated elite by the NCAA so that you can pay players who never go to class or who are enrolled in imaginary academic programs. They are only in school to get past their minimum time before they can go pro or need a an extra season or two to refine their skillsets. Cal has always played by those rules and is kind of on the bubble in terms of competency. If he buys enough great players he's in, if his talent pool shrinks or doesn't fit his one offensive style he's out. This year he's out. His offensive sets consist of dribble drives off post ups with feeds for the 3, if not open on the drive. Then pound the boards no matter the shoves, over the backs, etc. needed. Every. Single. Season.

Cal has not made lemonade out of lemons. So give me Coach Rick Barnes no matter how well it goes in March. Hope he knocks out a FF this season to get the program over the hump so we can all move on. But the beauty of what CRB does is the journey of the season and the character of the players he mentors. Special.

I love barnes just as much as anybody but i honestly don’t think anyone would honestly take him over calipari at this point. I think that’s just crazy talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back