Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
He negotiated for a larger salary pool for his assistants, as well as 3yr contracts for most everyone. I think he wants to keep the staff in tact and see how they work once they have more of their guys in. I’m not expecting much change through next year.

I know we all have questioned the play calling at some time or another but if at this point getting rid of Helton and getting another OC means another year of learning another system. So unless CP just is fed up with him I believe he will be here next year at least. jmo

I know we all have questioned the play calling at some time or another but if at this point getting rid of Helton and getting another OC means another year of learning another system. So unless CP just is fed up with him I believe he will be here next year at least. jmo
Man how can you call plays with this oline just amazing how many times we just turn dlinemen loose. It's just crazy it may be growing pains with freshman next year but dam it's already painful. We have to get bigger and stronger.

For me when a receiver has one hand on the ball it becomes much more imperative they control the ball thru the ground. He didn't so I agreed with the call

Next week a lot of $$$$ on the line so the conspiracy ref folks should think the Vols will get help

As for vegas twice this year the line has clearly told us vegas was betting on the game. Auburn and Mizzu. I bet big on both and won. Heard last night that we were a 2pt fav this week which shocked me. If so initially I think that's a good sign for us as I expected us to be the dog

Number 5 is spot on. We sit under the overhang. Those TVs don’t play what’s on the Jumbotron half the time. Every play should be replayed regardless if it’s good or bad for UT. Security at the gates is ridiculous now and focused on the wrong things. It seems like they get such a thrill finding someone bringing in a little alcohol. Their focus should be keeping weapons and bombs out of the stadium.
Don't know what gate you enter, but I am virtually frisked every game upon entry at Gate 8. Whoever thinks that keeping weapons out of the hands of people who are defensive minded only, is an idiot. I don't drink and think that the only deterrent to idiots with weapons is capable, responsible people with weapons. This issue, coupled with the continuously downgraded Neyland experience, is enough to make me seriously consider not renewing my season tickets that I have held for 43 years.

Hank was right. Neither QB is good. JG has the most potential due to his quality arm. Time to let it go and see what recruiting and the off season brings in terms of roster development and coaching improvement. I hope we beat Vandy and go to a bowl for the 15 practices that both the players and coaches need, however, I don't expect it to happen.

On a more important and personal note; the KPD officer directing traffic that was attacked from behind with a hammer without warning by the cowardly young white guy in a black hoody and gray sweats that was observed by dozens of people at 17th and Clinch who did not come to his aid or try to restrain the attacker - is a very close family friend and a VFL. drvenner also knows him. He underwent surgery for the effects of a fractured skull last night at UT Medical and was just moved from the trauma critical care unit to a regular room. Fortunately he never lost consciousness or motor skills. The prognosis looks good at this point, however, he is middle aged and there could be long lasting effects.

First, he and his family covet your prayers for his recovery as well as for the support for the men and women in blue. We are all dependent upon their skill set to stay safe. Most Knoxville residents have very little understanding as to what is actually happening in their community in regards to gangs and crime. Second, pray for the capture of this criminal. Third, to the UT fans who were there and others reading this - if you saw something, say something. At least make some effort to help a human being in great distress and to take a thug off the streets who could harm you or someone you care about next. Thank you in advance for your thoughts and prayers.

People that are naive enough to think that the SEC doesn't try and influence games through officiating needs to watch Alabama play, anybody. By "assisting" in Vandy's win last night, they've assured another SEC bowl team. Had Vandy lost and the beat us next week, then that would have removed bo f2f h Vandy and Tennessee from receiving a bowl.
Thank you!

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
Don't know what gate you enter, but I am virtually frisked every game upon entry at Gate 8. Whoever thinks that keeping weapons out of the hands of people who are defensive minded only, is an idiot. I don't drink and think that the only deterrent to idiots with weapons is capable, responsible people with weapons. This issue, coupled with the continuously downgraded Neyland experience, is enough to make me seriously consider not renewing my season tickets that I have held for 43 years.

Welcome to the club. Gave mine up in the Butch years. They've done a great job of fixing something that wasn't broke other than fixing the lack of restroom facilities.

You and InVOL have it right. It's been a tradition at the SEC office for decades. We got the benefit when Roy Kramer ran the show. We are on the crap list now. More and better bowl placement drives the train this time of year.
Some are too blind and naive to see it and believe it. I’m starting to wonder a little bit if we get the benefit this week, because it is a lot more likely that a 5-7 Vanderbilt team still gets a bowl bid due to their APR scores.

Lol at the people who have said all year we'd be fine against Missouri because Dooley was their OC. Who still thinks from a pure football standpoint that Bozo Jones is better?

I hate rebuilding AGAIN. Thought we were done with it after Butch stacked two top 5 classes in a row and looked to be an elite recruiter. Figured that even if he got fired, the next guy would have plenty of talent to work with. Nope. He went ahead and nuked the place on the way out and we are starting from scratch again.

Day after thoughts....

• I'm guilty of dismissing the "bad match up." Basically any time we meet up with a QB like that, it doesn't bode well for this defense. Let alone when they have such a big offensive line that's loaded with upper classmen. That was ugly.
  • Not to be a jerk, but targeting or not the guy fumbled and we recovered and returned it for a score. It wouldn't have mattered as far as win/loss, but I don't know why that was ignored.
  • Also, couldn't/shouldn't the receiver have been called for offensive pass interference when he bumped Bryce Thompson on what otherwise likely would've been a pick six?
  • I don't want to be a "blame the ref" guy, because I'm not... but there were a lot of plays where the Mizzou runningback moved or jumped before the snap and false starts weren't called.
  • How is it Fil-Aimes has been back on offense for a month now and all we can do with him is the predictable jet sweeps?
  • What are we doing with Jeremy Banks? Has he even played since we moved him to LB and then back to RB?
  • I thought it was dumb not getting JT Shrout some snaps - even if just the hand offs at the end of the game. Would it have helped him in the future to see such insignificant live action? Probably not - but it wouldn't have hurt him either. Plus I was just sick of seeing Chryst in there at that point.
  • Speaking of, we saw yesterday why this coaching staff has stuck with JG, who isn't perfect by any means, as this teams quarterback. Not only the two horrible interceptions... missed DWA in the end zone, missed DWA wide open down the field, throws were high, a few hung up in the air. That said, his strike to Calloway was an impressive pass.
  • ... but the catch Calloway made was even more impressive. I think the kid goes pro at years end. Especially after a game where he gets banged up. He wants the NFL money anyways, but getting banged up yesterday probably gives him even more reason to go pro. I don't know what draft grade he'd likely get, but I'd say probably 3-5.
  • JG shouldn't have gone back into that game after that hit. He clearly looked concussed, or at least very dazed.
  • In Pruitt I trust, but I don't like some of the gambles he takes sometimes. I think all of our onside kicks this year can be questioned. I didn't think it was neccessary to go for two when he wanted to early in the third, either. I like aggressive play, and maybe I'm just bitching because none of them have worked.... idk.
  • Horrible game all around. Was this team reading its own clippings after last week? Thinking we turned some mythical corner? The offensive line looked as bad as they have at any point this year, and the front seven was embarrassing. I don't remember the exact situation but there was a fairly important third down, I think right after we scored to open the 2nd half, and Lock threw a dump off pass about 7 yards behind the line to gain, and we had guys rally to the ball and I'm yelling in my living room for a great stop..... and the Mizzou guy just runs through them for the first.
  • Can't really fault the secondary for yesterday.... maybe I should, idk. I do know that Lock, like Grier, was placing balls perfectly yesterday. Hard to defend that no matter what, especially with marginal pass rush.
  • Hate to be a debbie downer, but I seriously seriously seriously doubt we end up with a top 10 class. I think Wanya, Wright, Pappoe, and Gray are in, maybe even Trezmen Marshall, which is something to be excited about for sure. But no way do guys Pickens or Haselwood, or the other UGA commits come here after that. Same with probably Eboigbe - who seems to be pandering to fan bases on twitter anyways. And I know people are gonna say they'll come because last night showed they can start day one, but if starting day one was what these guys only cared about, there's a lot of **** colleges they could be talking to. They're all committed to perceived or real "winners" now for a reason. They want to win and compete for championships. We're at least 3-5 years away from that IMO.
  • Fortunately, I still like everyone in this class and think even potentially under ranked or under the radar guys like Clemmons and Burrell will be very good football players. More than that, I think this staff will maximize what each individual has.
  • Hoping beyond all hope we can pull out a win next week at Vandy. And I'll say this.... 2018 will be the last year in a long time we go into the Vandy's and Kentuckys and Mizzous hoping we can pull off an upset win.

Some on here last night were saying this won't affect recruiting or the recruits there... that is crazy, it certainly will...I am hoping most that are interested, know already how bad we are and they want to be part of the rebuilding and playing day 1.

As bad as it was last night, the one thing I just can't get over is the pathetic tackling... TACKLING. I can't even count how many times they needed a first or 3-4 yards, we had them wrapped up or dead to rights and they just pushed us off or we whiffed... I mean, we have seen some bad football over the past 10 years here, but that was flat embarrassing. I just don't understand how we can tackle last week and can't this week.

Both QB's are bad. JG is just not as bad. KC came in cold, hardly playing at ALL this entire season and was expected to just ball. He tried, but just didn't have the chemistry or timing to get it done.

We come in to Candy playing even remotely like this, they will eat our lunch and run up the score. First time I've said this this year, I don't know what happened last night, but Pruitt and staff better get their 'ish together for this coming weekend. Period.

Reactions: dlravol2
For me when a receiver has one hand on the ball it becomes much more imperative they control the ball thru the ground. He didn't so I agreed with the call

Next week a lot of $$$$ on the line so the conspiracy ref folks should think the Vols will get help

As for vegas twice this year the line has clearly told us vegas was betting on the game. Auburn and Mizzu. I bet big on both and won. Heard last night that we were a 2pt fav this week which shocked me. If so initially I think that's a good sign for us as I expected us to be the dog

I don’t believe in conspiracies per se unless it involves Bama or a team in the title hunt. All someone needs to do is go back and watch our 2004 SECG against Auburn when Auburn was undefeated, and the SEC was trying to get Auburn in the title game (which didn’t happen). I bitched back then about it. Pretty sure we had 2 long TD’s or runs called back. It was clear who the SEC wanted, and we should/could have won that game.

You and InVOL have it right. It's been a tradition at the SEC office for decades. We got the benefit when Roy Kramer ran the show. We are on the crap list now. More and better bowl placement drives the train this time of year.
Is Vandys APR high? If it is then Tennessee will get the calls this week.

Hank was right. Neither QB is good. JG has the most potential due to his quality arm. Time to let it go and see what recruiting and the off season brings in terms of roster development and coaching improvement. I hope we beat Vandy and go to a bowl for the 15 practices that both the players and coaches need, however, I don't expect it to happen.

On a more important and personal note; the KPD officer directing traffic that was attacked from behind with a hammer without warning by the cowardly young white guy in a black hoody and gray sweats that was observed by dozens of people at 17th and Clinch who did not come to his aid or try to restrain the attacker - is a very close family friend and a VFL. drvenner also knows him. He underwent surgery for the effects of a fractured skull last night at UT Medical and was just moved from the trauma critical care unit to a regular room. Fortunately he never lost consciousness or motor skills. The prognosis looks good at this point, however, he is middle aged and there could be long lasting effects.

First, he and his family covet your prayers for his recovery as well as for the support for the men and women in blue. We are all dependent upon their skill set to stay safe. Most Knoxville residents have very little understanding as to what is actually happening in their community in regards to gangs and crime. Second, pray for the capture of this criminal. Third, to the UT fans who were there and others reading this - if you saw something, say something. At least make some effort to help a human being in great distress and to take a thug off the streets who could harm you or someone you care about next. Thank you in advance for your thoughts and prayers.
People that stand around after an attack and do nothing or take out their phones and record are pathetic, worthless wastes of oxygen. I hope your friend makes a full recovery.

I hate rebuilding AGAIN. Thought we were done with it after Butch stacked two top 5 classes in a row and looked to be an elite recruiter. Figured that even if he got fired, the next guy would have plenty of talent to work with. Nope. He went ahead and nuked the place on the way out and we are starting from scratch again.
Yeah it's pretty disheartening. Going to be even tougher cabbage if we get beat next week going into the offseason. Going to take time.

Wow i heard nothing about that. That is awful. People smh

Meanwhile Mullen's about to go 9-3 and make a New Year's Six bowl game in year one, with what likely will be his worst team. If people keep trying to pretend like he's just alright, or "Mehlen", I have some ocean front property in Kansas I'd like to sell you.

Reactions: Catbone
That was supposed to be his ONE redeeming thing on his way out the door. I specifically remember multiple people saying that before he was canned. Jokes on us because not only was that not true, somehow we are in an even worse spot. Because that **** would only happen here.

Meanwhile Mullen's about to go 9-3 and make a New Year's Six bowl game in year one, with what likely will be his worst team. If people keep trying to pretend like he's just alright, or "Mehlen", I have some ocean front property in Kansas I'd like to sell you.
Tennessee is gonna Tennessee

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back