Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you saying a players work ethic is directly tied to their talent?

If so I strongly disagree. Work ethic is tied to a Kids Character but not talent

No what I’m saying is a players work ethic both mentally and physical is a talent in itself. Some people just can’t or won’t work at it or will never grasp it. Especially at QB. Some players just can never adjust to the speed and complexity at this level or later on in the nfl.

If you recruit guys that don’t work hard before and don’t do the things mentally, take care of their body etc. rarely does it all of a sudden change when they get to college.

Reactions: JacketVol
No what I’m saying is a players work ethic both mentally and physical is a talent in itself. Some people just can’t or won’t work at it or will never grasp it. Especially at QB. Some players just can never adjust to the speed and complexity at this level or later on in the nfl.

If you recruit guys that don’t work hard before and don’t do the things mentally, take care of their body etc. rarely does it all of a sudden change when they get to college.

Ok I don't fully agree

Work ethic is a choice not a talent imo

Reactions: barrylee
Ok I don't fully agree

Work ethic is a choice not a talent imo

The mental aspect isn’t. Some people just can’t grasp some of the schemes and knowing how smart you have to be football wise to play and perform at this level. Eric Berry was the smartest football player I’ve ever been around. He could diagnose a play and tell you exactly where the QBs options were. It’s just like math or learning a different language you can work all you want but some people just can never master it.

If your kids are smart, but they don't study... don't listen in class... slack every chance they get, and their poor effort results in poor grades, are they stupid?

You can have a high IQ without developing it or using it. Ditto talent.
How much do injuries factor in here also? Tuttle was way more disruptive before his injuries. DK was faster before his injuries. Phillips came in with all sorts of promise “his speed is unfair” said an analyst at the army game. But those guys and others have been ravaged by Butch’s awful S&C and also random injuries. We may be talented but because of poor development and injuries, the guys just aren’t able to play up to the level of promise they once had

That wasn’t the problem against Vandy in 2016. We couldn’t stop them; same problem as Dooley. Butch goes to the Sugar Bowl if they beat Vandy.

Also, against USCe, Kamara was out and Hurd quit. Jennings and Malone had nearly 100 of the 161 passing yards. You make it sound so easy.
If we beat Vandy, and go to Sugar Bowl, Butch would have taken another job for 2017, and we all sit here and ponder how far along would we be right now. Then again, Bahama John May have totally screwed up the hire and we could be in worse shape.

Reactions: SweetasSoda
The mental aspect isn’t. Some people just can’t grasp some of the schemes and knowing how smart you have to be football wise to play and perform at this level. Eric Berry was the smartest football player I’ve ever been around. He could diagnose a play and tell you exactly where the QBs options were. It’s just like math or learning a different language you can work all you want but some people just can never master it.

Being able to mentally grasp the game I agree is a talent. Simalarly is having instincts.
I didn't understand that to be your post so I apologize

Reactions: HankHill
How much do injuries factor in here also? Tuttle was way more disruptive before his injuries. DK was faster before his injuries. Phillips came in with all sorts of promise “his speed is unfair” said an analyst at the army game. But those guys and others have been ravaged by Butch’s awful S&C and also random injuries. We may be talented but because of poor development and injuries, the guys just aren’t able to play up to the level of promise they once had

You mentioned three players who were injured and have come back or are working hard to come back, but may not be able to fulfill their early potential. Chance Hall and TKJr are two more. But there are numerous others who are healthy and underachieving. They've gotten soft and used to losing. That doesn't mean they don't have talent-- it means they're lazy and complacent.

Pointless debate, though. People have already picked sides on the talent vs. no talent and JG vs. AnyQBNotNamedJG issues, and the gulf is wide and uncrossable.

You mentioned three players who were injured and have come back or are working hard to come back, but may not be able to fulfill their early potential. Chance Hall and TKJr are two more. But there are numerous others who are healthy and underachieving. They've gotten soft and used to losing. That doesn't mean they don't have talent-- it means they're lazy and complacent.

Pointless debate, though. People have already picked sides on the talent vs. no talent and JG vs. AnyQBNotNamedJG issues, and the gulf is wide and uncrossable.
I’d say it’s all of the above really

At the higher levels it’s about processing speed too. The best players just recognize things faster. It’s not necessarily that they know more about football or are smarter - their brain is just quicker.

One thing Pruitt is doing when evaluating defensive prospects is prioritizing players who were a top playmaker for their teams on offense. I think that goes to your larger point of defensive IQ and knowing what the offense is doing.

Reactions: JCLawyerVol
I think the Saints proved, quite convincingly, that he's utilized well in multiple ways, especially when he's teamed with a bigger back.
Exactly. It's revisionist history to act like Hurd wasn't a great RB while he was here. Was Kamara underutilized? Yeah, absolutely, but that doesn't mean that Hurd needed to be benched.

DmVuWTcV4AEiifV.jpg

Jalen Hurd at running back is perfect for a "run down hill" type of running attack. He needs to be put in an I-formation and tell him to hit the hole as hard as possible. Put him on a early 2000's UT team and he does extremely well.

Reactions: kayakonthefly
That’s all I’m saying too. I’ve seen enough of KC to know that he has a chance to improve the offense. We know what we have in JG. If KC sucks then just put JG back i, really not a big deal. Have to try something to get the offense going.
I know what will help the offense get going better than anything else...freakin learn how to block for gosh sakes.

If your kids are smart, but they don't study... don't listen in class... slack every chance they get, and their poor effort results in poor grades, are they stupid?

You can have a high IQ without developing it or using it. Ditto talent.

I had a friend like that in college. Not motivated to go to class or study, held on until he made a O.OO GPA one term and flunked out. Wonder what became of him.

Someone refresh my memory.... wasn't there a corner prospect who decommitted from Michigan State not long after we started talking to him? Felt like it was trending for him to commit before things suddenly went silent we've not heard anything about him or anything....

I don't remember his name but I'm wondering if he might be a possibly blue shirt candidate

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back