Recruiting Forum Football Talk XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

DD4ME

Zoo Keeper
Look, I've been reading LWSvol/Larry's posts for over a decade now and you can pretty much take anything he says to the bank. He obviously has great connections to the program. Hubbs and co at Volquest are essentially the only other vol related entity on the Internet with a comparable batting average. If he says those are the starters as of today, then those are the starters as of today. If he says coaches have concerns, then coaches most likely have concerns.

That said, in that same decade plus, I have never him post anything positive/optimistic. Like never, ever. It's never you know Barnett and Maggitt combined for 20+ sacks last year and they look like they could really be poised to make history next year. Instead, it's always something like you know we've only averaged about 8 wins a year for the last 100 years, so don't set yourself up for disappointment by ever expecting more than that at any point the next 100 years or you know UT only has 2 "consensus" national championships the last 100 years, it's "unrealistic" to expect them to duplicate that at any point the next 100 years, etc.

He obviously knows what he's talking about and is a great addition to any board. He has certainly contributed more than I will ever be in position to. But with all due respect, he is definitely one that believes in lowering his expectations and those of others to avoid disappointment. And although there is merit in that approach, I've never seen the fun in it. In short, he's definitely not a glass half full kind of guy when it comes to the info he posts about the program, so TIFWIW.
Diplomatically put and respectful. In this instance I was glad to have those facts. I can still have a positive spin if I want but I know what the baseline is.

mooreaj21

I'm ready for the season to start. Purchased season tickets for the first time, have a really good home slate w/ Oklahoma, Arkansas, UGA, & USCjr. Going down to Gainesville this year for the gam & likely going to the Kentucky & Mizzou games. Really think if healthy this team has a legit chance at 9-10 wins & a possible trip to Atlanta for the SECCG.

OGbabyaviVol

Performing horse rectal exams for a living
I'm ready for the season to start. Purchased season tickets for the first time, have a really good home slate w/ Oklahoma, Arkansas, UGA, & USCjr. Going down to Gainesville this year for the gam & likely going to the Kentucky & Mizzou games. Really think if healthy this team has a legit chance at 9-10 wins & a possible trip to Atlanta for the SECCG.
Good to see you, man. Come around and post more often.

VolGee4

Look, I've been reading LWSvol/Larry's posts for over a decade now and you can pretty much take anything he says to the bank. He obviously has great connections to the program. Hubbs and co at Volquest are essentially the only other vol related entity on the Internet with a comparable batting average. If he says those are the starters as of today, then those are the starters as of today. If he says coaches have concerns, then coaches most likely have concerns.

That said, in that same decade plus, I have never him post anything positive/optimistic. Like never, ever. It's never you know Barnett and Maggitt combined for 20+ sacks last year and they look like they could really be poised to make history next year. Instead, it's always something like you know we've only averaged about 8 wins a year for the last 100 years, so don't set yourself up for disappointment by ever expecting more than that at any point the next 100 years or you know UT only has 2 "consensus" national championships the last 100 years, it's "unrealistic" to expect them to duplicate that at any point the next 100 years, etc.

He obviously knows what he's talking about and is a great addition to any board. He has certainly contributed more than I will ever be in position to. But with all due respect, he is definitely one that believes in lowering his expectations and those of others to avoid disappointment. And although there is merit in that approach, I've never seen the fun in it. In short, he's definitely not a glass half full kind of guy when it comes to the info he posts about the program, so TIFWIW.
I have read LWS posts for a long time, too. I started with Hubbs around 2000 when I was in college before they even joined with Rivals. Larry kind of likes to hedge his opinions. He doesn't want people coming back and questioning what he said, so he doesn't speak in absolutes. It is kind of understandable. He has always seemed to be a big fan but tries to keep it realistic. I didn't want to believe him, but he was right on with his Gruden info.

Don't know why anyone would have thought Richmond would start from day one anyway. Being from Memphis, I heard he needed to learn to get a mean streak. His potential is why he was a 5 star. If we have to start him early, then we are in worse shape on the line than I thought.

seaofORANGE22

Eats a lot of peaches
Can't sleep. Watching the 2006 Georgia game on YouTube. I forgot how crazy this game was. It was my senior year in high school. We were down 24-7 and I remember my dad got mad and turned it off but I didn't want to give up. I watched it by myself in my bedroom on a little tiny tv. It felt like a big moment for me as a fan when we came back to not only win but, but we sort of turned it into a beat down.

Feeling nostalgic. Ready for football season to get here.

volssam

5.7 3* poster
Can't sleep. Watching the 2006 Georgia game on YouTube. I forgot how crazy this game was. It was my senior year in high school. We were down 24-7 and I remember my dad got mad and turned it off but I didn't want to give up. I watched it by myself in my bedroom on a little tiny tv. It felt like a big moment for me as a fan when we came back to not only win but, but we sort of turned it into a beat down.

Feeling nostalgic. Ready for football season to get here.
That was a beautiful beautiful game.

I remember after that UGA game happened....
At a game later that year in Neyland, on the Jumbotron, they did one of those "orange is..." videos (with I think "bittersweet symphony" by the verve playing - random, but anyways). And it was showing big play clips of that UGA game. And at the end it zoomed in or highlighted our score of 51. And it concluded with "orange is...half a hundred" and we the crowd loved it.

Thanks SoA for the trip down memory lane.

vol2002

That was a beautiful beautiful game.

I remember after that UGA game happened....
At a game later that year in Neyland, on the Jumbotron, they did one of those "orange is..." videos (with I think "bittersweet symphony" by the verve playing - random, but anyways). And it was showing big play clips of that UGA game. And at the end it zoomed in or highlighted our score of 51. And it concluded with "orange is...half a hundred" and we the crowd loved it.

Thanks SoA for the trip down memory lane.
I was on a retreat with my church, watching it on a big screen in a room full of Dawg fans. There was one other Vol fan there and we sang Rocky Top at the top of our lungs all through the second half. Was a bunch of fun.

Aesius

The best thing about these big recruiting weekends is that you know Butch is working every single angle to get these kids loving Tennessee. Once he gets them on campus, it's pretty much a guarantee that we will be contention to get their signature.

jave36

Was thinking that he other day that I hadn't seen much credit thrown Strip's way for Barnett. Getting a non EE freshman to perform at that level in the SEC was amazing, especially when Barnett isn't a Clowney-like athlete. Pretty much cemented him as best position coach imo, and makes me even more excited for kmac, Tuttle, and Phillips.

Was thinking that he other day that I hadn't seen much credit thrown Strip's way for Barnett. Getting a non EE freshman to perform at that level in the SEC was amazing, especially when Barnett isn't a Clowney-like athlete. Pretty much cemented him as best position coach imo, and makes me even more excited for kmac, Tuttle, and Phillips.
Barnett may not be Clowney level but he's elite and much stronger than Clowney was coming in. His ability to play with power on the edge is freakish. He was bull rushing seniors last year. That's crazy and he'll be stronger this year. :)

rekinhavoc

Respect the Hemi! No Interviews.
Barnett may not be Clowney level but he's elite and much stronger than Clowney was coming in. His ability to play with power on the edge is freakish. He was bull rushing seniors last year. That's crazy and he'll be stronger this year. :)
I feel like Dr. Evil and I finally got my sharks with frickin' laser beams!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store