Recruiting Forum Football Talk XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just don't see Butch doing some charade of a search- Debord was a unique situation because that was his mentor- if that's who he wants just announce it and be done. But maybe he is doing due diligence in looking at others too. What is Basillio saying today after his claim yesterday lol!

I severely miss the I-formation. That is my favorite formation to play out of.

Nothing like those Tennessee power off-tackle runs that usually got some LB or SS blown up. I can't say I don't wish we still used it on occasion, even if sparse amongst the read and gap zone stuff.

I think a big advantage to hiring DeBord is that it could fix some of the glaring issues with Butch's offense. Namely the red zone touchdown scoring percentage. When we can't stretch the field, this offense really struggles, IMO.

But the thing is, that is Butch Jones' offense.

I did a breakdown of what his offense was like at all of his stops a few days after he was hired and I used that as one of my worries about his offense (along with how physical would our OL play be and would we be able to run the football consistently).

I don't want to sit here and thump my chest and say I was right, I understand the challenges our coaches have faced with depth issues and talent issues their first 2 years here. But I still see it as a concern going forward. I was looking forward to seeing what our offense would look like in 2015 as I felt we would finally have the talent and depth to fully use the playbook, and then Bajakian up and leaves.

I think he could be good hire just for the fact he could single handily make the oline better, which as a result make the play calling so much easier.

At CMU AND Cincinnati, the OL play vastly improved in year 3 under Butch Jones. And coincidently year 2 was always the worst year for OL play under Butch. Lets see how next season plays out before throwing Mahoney and our OL under the bus.

Reactions: 1 person
You freakin kill me volssam.:lolabove:

BTW, you and the family have a good time at Disney?

*slowly backs away after bringing up Disney*

It was awesome; thank you sir. Hope to go back before too terribly long. But circumstances may prevent that.

*quickly backs away to make sure CABVOL doesn't leave me behind, alone with the wolves*

That's not good enough. A decent offense is not going to attract great offensive recruits. Do you not want to see what Butch's offense can really do with all the talent they've brought in and recruiting? I want a dangerous offense that SEC teams will have a very difficult time trying to scheme up a defensive plan.. A mediocre offense is not going to cut it.

You have to remember that is from almost ten years ago. Completely different offensive philosophy then. Bare in mind the 98 National Title Team was at around 34 PPG and 17th in college football. Also that offense generated more PPG than any SEC team outside of UF and LSU that year.

I think a big advantage to hiring DeBord is that it could fix some of the glaring issues with Butch's offense. Namely the red zone touchdown scoring percentage. When we can't stretch the field, this offense really struggles, IMO.

Exactly. It felt like we ran 5-7 specific plays for about 70% of the game. Mix and shake it up even if it is an average no-sprinkles-on-top play. Don't try to over-coach the O because sometimes being vanilla is the way you need to go. If you are within the 5 and about to get a TD then run the rock. Put a FB in there and run a FB lead. I would love to see more slants as well. They worked 90% of the time last year yet we rarely used them....

I understand where you're coming from in fully trusting Butch. I always felt that way with Fulmer back in the day except with the Clawson hire. But this is an extremely critical decision on Butch's part because our offense has just barely scratched the surface of being really good. While the defense has already taken off.

I find this decision so interesting because we've only seen glimpses of what this offense can do in 2 years. And with so much talent now, I want to see it explode. But just not feeling that with DeBord. Still a lot to be played out with CO-OC's, too..

True...but that defense that has "taken off"? Is headed by a man whose hiring has been second guessed more than any I can recall ...fueled by Georgia fans mocking us, many on here were incessant about how we weren't going anywhere with him as the architect of our defense...does that opinion still prevail? Butch has a vested interest in the success of this hire...trust him to know that.

Reactions: 3 people
Nothing like those Tennessee power off-tackle runs that usually got some LB or SS blown up. I can't say I don't wish we still used it on occasion, even if sparse amongst the read and gap zone stuff.

There is almost nothing more enjoyable (in sports) than running right through someone or delivering a huge hit. I would love to see those types of runs again at UT. That is why I love the I-formation or other versions of it. Hit them in the mouth and dare them to tackle you again.

I am just ready for Butch to make a hire one way or the other. Seems like there are many many pages of the same stuff over and over:

Debord is disappointing
Debord comes recommended
There are better options.
Trust Butch
What about this awesome spread OC
Butch has earned trust
Insider says this. Insider says that
Maybe he will just be quality control
Maybe he will be great. Just wait on it.

Etc...

Last edited:

Problem with that is DeBord didn't stretch the field. He's a run 1st OC. On the positive side he's a lot more like offenses of yore that many would like to see. I don't think the Bussey's and Dobbs fit as well though.

Last edited:

Really worked against UCLA back when Kiffin was in charge.

Problem with that is DeBord didn't stretch the field. He's a run 1st OC. On the positive side he's a lot more like offenses of yore that many would like to see. I don't think the Bussey's and Dobbs fit as well though.

Whoever the choice is will run Butch's offense, Butch's way. Doesn't matter what type of O he ran before. Much more important will be game planning, discipline of the overall O, improvement of O line, etc.

Bussey will be 200 plus pounds before the 1st game IMO. I think he would be very capable in a run heavy offense.

Whoever the choice is will run Butch's offense, Butch's way. Doesn't matter what type of O he ran before. Much more important will be game planning, discipline of the overall O, improvement of O line, etc.

I think it does matter what type of offense he ran before. He'll be calling plays if he's an OC. How can it not be an issue that he's never before called plays (or drawn them up) for an offense anything like ours?

An OC needs to have a deep understanding of his playbook. Bringing in an OC without any familiarity to a scheme, handing him a playbook, and telling him to call those plays is not a recipe for success.

I'm very pro-butch, but bringing in Debord does nothing to give me more confidence in Butch. I'd hope he'd use this hire as an opportunity to, like Butch said, enhance their system and bring in some new blood that can be frank with Butch about the weak points of his offense. Hiring a yes man to run all of Butch's plays is pretty much the opposite of this.

I'll take a wait and see approach no matter who is hired, but Debord would be a troubling OC hire to me.

Reactions: 2 people
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back