Recruiting Forum Football Talk XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, Sunday brought about more meetings on the University of Tennessee campus featuring Butch Jones, Mike DeBord and other members of the Vols' football program and athletics department.

DeBord left Rocky Top between 1-2 Sunday afternoon.

While DeBord, we are told by folks on campus, left a very positive impression this weekend, as we noted late Saturday night Jones has continued vetting candidates.

In fact, Jones will be flying out to both recruit and conduct additional interviews in airports and other settings along the recruiting trail throughout the next 48-72 hours.

Mike Norvell is a name we've heard consistently and reported since Friday; but Norvell has a $900,000 annual salary per a USA Today report. Sources indicated to us that Norvell has indicated any discussions about a position would need to initiate with a seven-figure salary.

More names we picked up today include Mike Canada, the N.C. State offensive coordinator who just finished his second season with the Wolfpack.

Noel Mazzone, who has ties in the SEC after runs at Auburn, Ole Miss and in the ACC at N.C. State, is the offensive coordinator presently at UCLA but as noted above, has strong ties in the South and is on the list of candidates Jones and his inner circle are vetting.

Typically in these situations, a head coach will bring in his agent --- in this case, Jones is represented by Trace Armstrong --- to help facilitate conversations with potential candidates beyond just the initial texts and phone calls.

South Carolina's G.A. Mangus is a name that we've previously reported and one that has consistently surfaced across the course of the weekend.

North Carolina's Gunter Brewer is another candidate the Vols are exploring and could meet with in the next 48 hours.

Additionally, sources told us that Jones has spoken/will speak with 1-3 NFL assistant coaches.

Other names who have been confirmed by VolQuest.com to have been definitely vetted by Jones & his inner circle include Billy Napier, Josh Heupel and Seth Luttrell.

DeBord met with all of the Vols' quarterbacks, and then had an additional film session with Joshua Dobbs, who brought with him Marquez North. DeBord met with additional support staff.

Several NFL coaches and personnel people, as well as Urban Meyer among others, have reportedly reached out to Jones on DeBord's behalf.

Fit and continuity continue to be top-tier priorities for Jones in the OC search; he's very mindful of returning 10 starters and wanting to be able to utilize same terminology, system and more. DeBord has previous ties with Willie Martinez, Mark Elder, John Jancek, Don Mahoney and Steve Stripling.

While Zach Azzanni continues to be a name consistently mentioned on the short list of head coaching candidates at his alma mater, Central Michigan, where John Jancek also could be a candidate. If Jones can retain Azzanni, it would not be unexpected to see Azzanni elevated to something along the lines of passing game coordinator while Robert Gillespie could be in line to gain a promotion to recruiting coordinator.

-John Brice

Reactions: 24 people
My thinking is nobody has tried to hire Debord in over two years. He hasn't been in charge of an offense since 2007. Azzanni has a school interested in him as head coach. I just feel like his ceiling is higher.

Debord's resume for coaching oline is a lot better than Mahoney's. I could make myself excited about that.

I could be mistaken. But, I thought Hubbs or Brice from VN reported yesterday that Debord has had offers from pro teams, but turned them down because of his interest in being at UM. The thought was he may have been in line for the AD position there until the Hoke debacle, thus the reason for him being willing to work with non-football related sports.

Not a vote on my part for Debord. Just passing along what they apparently shared.

Mazzone sounds like a good option, ties to the south for recruiting. UCLA put up some points.
Mazzone or Mangus could be good. Really sounds like Debord is most likely the guy. I don't know if I want a guy that Urban is vouching for. I know he just won the Title but i hate that guy

Reactions: 2 people
Norvell would be awesome but I highly doubt Hart would consider paying a coordinator 7 figures per.

Napier and Mazzone would be my favorites after that.

Yeah Norvell would be a grand slam but that's a rich number. He runs same type of offense and would do major damage with this group of players. He also really wanted Dobbs so you know Dobbs fits the system he runs.

@Vol_Football: JONES on @FootballScoop Radio: We are looking to bring in an individual who can elevate our staff and someone who is a fit.

@Vol_Football: JONES: We want an individual who can call plays. We want someone who might have coached multiple positions. Creativeness, energy.

@Vol_Football: JONES: We are not looking for an overhaul, we are looking to enhance our system and continue to grow it.

@Vol_Football: JONES: We can’t go backwards and spend time installing a new system.

@Vol_Football: JONES: It is a great profession. With the younger guys on our staff, it is our duty to enhance their positions. Constantly educate them.

@Vol_Football: JONES: We want individuals who are dedicated to this sport. We have heavily involve our quality control & grad assts. I’m grateful for them.

@Vol_Football: JONES: Phillip Fulmer, Jon Gruden, Peyton Manning have been great resources during this coordinator search.

Reactions: 15 people
@Vol_Football: JONES on @FootballScoop Radio: We are looking to bring in an individual who can elevate our staff and someone who is a fit.

@Vol_Football: JONES: We want an individual who can call plays. We want someone who might have coached multiple positions. Creativeness, energy.

@Vol_Football: JONES: We are not looking for an overhaul, we are looking to enhance our system and continue to grow it.

@Vol_Football: JONES: We can’t go backwards and spend time installing a new system.

@Vol_Football: JONES: It is a great profession. With the younger guys on our staff, it is our duty to enhance their positions. Constantly educate them.

@Vol_Football: JONES: We want individuals who are dedicated to this sport. We have heavily involve our quality control & grad assts. I’m grateful for them.

@Vol_Football: JONES: Phillip Fulmer, Jon Gruden, Peyton Manning have been great resources during this coordinator search.

That' last quote makes me happy

Reactions: 9 people

This immediately makes me think it's DeBord.

Reactions: 1 person
Mazzone sounds like a good option, ties to the south for recruiting. UCLA put up some points.
Mazzone or Mangus could be good. Really sounds like Debord is most likely the guy. I don't know if I want a guy that Urban is vouching for. I know he just won the Title but i hate that guy

If he thought was so great, then why didn't Urban hire him?

Urban runs the same offense. I would think his opinion is pretty valuable in terms of fit. Plus he hates Florida now so he probably would enjoy is whipping their butt

Eh, not buying that. I doubt Urban has any knowledge of Debords ability to run a spread, since their is no body of work to really evaluate. Plus, he's the last guy who would know about our own staffs chemistry to determine fit.

Norvell would be awesome but I highly doubt Hart would consider paying a coordinator 7 figures per.

Napier and Mazzone would be my favorites after that.

I agree on Norvell. As great as he sounds though, the actual costs associated with his hire could be in the neighborhood of $2+ million.

I suspect he has a buyout clause in his contract. Plus, my guess is that the UTAD would be increasing pay for several of the other coaches (e.g., Jancek and Azzanni) even more.

Lots of moving parts in this hire. Sorry to repeat myself, but the next few days will be interesting.

I agree on Norvell. As great as he sounds though, the actual costs associated with his hire could be in the neighborhood of $2+ million.

I suspect he has a buyout clause in his contract. Plus, my guess is that the UTAD would be increasing pay for several of the other coaches (e.g., Jancek and Azzanni) even more.

Lots of moving parts in this hire. Sorry to repeat myself, but the next few days will be interesting.

Gotta spend money to make money. Wish they could see that.

Reactions: 4 people
I'm not opposed to a Debord Co-OC/run game coordinator, and Azzani as Co-OC/pass game coordinator roles being handed out.

And reading the quotes from the radio interview it does seem like Debord is the obvious pick. Easiest transition of all the candidates.

since this is a recruiting thread and not a coach search, who has any updates on Bussey's visit to A&M? Does anyone know for sure he and his Dad will still make the trip to UT this coming weekend? We can't lose this kid..

I could be mistaken. But, I thought Hubbs or Brice from VN reported yesterday that Debord has had offers from pro teams, but turned them down because of his interest in being at UM. The thought was he may have been in line for the AD position there until the Hoke debacle, thus the reason for him being willing to work with non-football related sports.

Not a vote on my part for Debord. Just passing along what they apparently shared.

They did say that.

If he thought was so great, then why didn't Urban hire him?

This.

Urbie's OC moved on. Perfect opportunity, but no, Butch needs to hire him. Pass.

Didn't think Norvell would be in play. If that were to happen it would be a really big deal.

Last edited:
Think Peyton is putting in the word for Jim Bob ? They were together for several years at Indy.

I wonder if Brewer interview is in case Z gets Central Michigan. Brewers list of WR pupils is outstanding including Randy Moss, Dez Bryant and Justin Blackmon. He is also a really good recruiter with Charlotte as a main target. He would probably be open to a lateral pass game Coord move for more stability. He has coached QBs before at OK state but mainly WRs.

I looked in Matt Canada as well. He is a good looking coach. He coaches QBs as well. Did a really good job with Brissett this year at NC State. He also had really good offense at Wisconsin with Beliema and at Northern Illinois before that coaching Jordan Lynch.

It sure as heck sounds like debord though with how much VQ is going out of their way to mention his recommendations.

Perhaps this is wishful thinking on my part....it sounds like if Deboard is to be brought in, it will be as either a quality control/OL coach or (and this would be my least preferable option) as a co-OC to assist (and ultimately appease) Azzani.

Either way, there are far more attractive options...

Perhaps this is wishful thinking on my part....it sounds like if Deboard is to be brought in, it will be as either a quality control/OL coach or (and this would be my least preferable option) as a co-OC to assist (and ultimately appease) Azzani.

Either way, there are far more attractive options...

As a resume fit and production of the on field product at other jobs part I see more attractive options.

As a trust fit, there isn't a better fit then Debrod.

Right now Jones obviously feels that the easiest transition to the staff and team is bringing Debord in. Now whether that leads to on field success will be determined.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back