Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched a replay of the game and tried my best to take off my orange glasses. I still just don't see what the big deal is about how that game was officiated. Saying it wasn't basketball, but rather football?!?! I just don't see that. It was basically a glimpse of what basketball would be like if they didn't call every single meaningless and non-impactful ticky tack foul. On the flip side, I watched and re-watched every play that was called a foul and think they got almost all of them right. Maybe one or two that were borderline? I guess that feels like a completely different sport to Duke fans.
It was the flopping that Jay was using to support his whine.

You just said an Elite 8 is a "huge accomplishment."

It is. That's why it cannot be the "expectation." It cannot be both of those things. An expectation by definition cannot be something that is a huge accomplishment.

My boss expects me to be at work on time and work 8 hours. Therefore, being at work on time and working a full 8 hours is not a huge accomplishment. That's the standard.

The floor expectation has to be something that should, by any reasonable condition, be accomplishable. The standard should be a solid result.

And each season can and should be different. If you're a Top 8 seed, it's reasonable to expect a Top 8 finish.

I expect to make the tourney just like my boss expects me on time. A successful season should be a Top 16 seed and/or a Top 16 finish. I expect Barnes to maintain us as a Top 16 program. But if my car blows a tire on the interstate, it's reasonable for my boss to not expect me to be on time.

I personally call a season a success if 1. SEC season title 2. SEC tournament title 3. Sweet 16

The expectation is 1. Top 4 SEC regular season 2. Top 16 seed.

Not all of them have to happen simultaneously. For example, we finished 5th but made the Sweet 16. Still a successful season.

If we were a 1 or 2 seed, I'd move "success" from Sweet 16 to Elite 8.

It's just totally irrational to EXPECT something every year that the program has only accomplished once in 114 seasons.
Well said.
1679416082890.gif

Or he thought he could outrun them and keep it. 😏
That player made like 10 massive mistakes in that whole situation. Another one is that if you're riding with a guy who carries a gun and distributes drugs, and tells you to "punch it" to escape from the police, you probably don't want to tell the police all that.

Reactions: butchna
This started because the first thing you said was that a basketball season is a "failure" if we don't make an Elite 8.

It's not. It's just a huge accomplishment. And a failure, by most people's rational standard, is the NIT.
To me, a failure as a program is being invited to the NIT and turning it down…

There is one customer that we meet with an hour every week. This customer employs a consultant who has a very small piece of what we need to discuss but completely monopolizes the meeting. I want to smack her so hard.
palpatine-star-wars.gif

If I'm looking at it from "best fit" for HH I'd say Vikings, Denver, Seahawks, and 49ers could all be great spots to land.

Vikings = weapons for days and they play indoors
Denver = Sean Payton
49ers = weapons, warm weather
Seahawks = Pete can build a team and takes care of his QB Wilson looked like a completely different QB in Denver

If I'm looking at it from "best fit" for HH I'd say Vikings, Denver, Seahawks, and 49ers could all be great spots to land.

Vikings = weapons for days and they play indoors
Denver = Sean Payton
49ers = weapons, warm weather
Seahawks = Pete can build a team and takes care of his QB Wilson looked like a completely different QB in Denver
Dolphins would be his best fit. Offense and wideouts match him perfectly. That and tua is trash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back