Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't go 9+ until I see how the OL looks next year, and Milton really locks it down with a couple of great performances to start off the year...if..he comes out and plays meh the first 2 games and the OL doesn't play better than average...it will not be an exceptional season.

I hear you, but I offset that with what I think is going to be vast improvement on defense based on the personnel we're bringing in. I don't think we'll need to score 47 a game to win 9 next year.

But time will tell, of course.

I mean who here hasn't experienced the fact that Josh Heupel has made watching opponents games impossible? When we played UK this year in football, their offense was so painful that I wanted them to score just so we could get the ball back and watch something exciting. Heupel has had an effect on everything, prob even basketball in that sense. When you see something worked to near perfection you really do want to see it done in everything.

Oh...I dunno....sometimes that's exactly what it looks like. And I love it.

Like I said those aren't insane men trying to kill themselves. They are insane men trying to win (big difference). Rugby tackles are different. The speed of the game is different. Where players are on the field and where they are coming from is different. American football cannot be played safely without pads in its current form. You would have to change a ton about it if you take away the pads. The way offense is played makes tackles high speed and high risk. Rugby just ain't that way. We would have to de-evolve offense to the leather helmet days for football to work without helmets. I think rugby is great too but it's different.

Reactions: OrangenSC
Vol Report
@AllVolReport

36m

Former Tennessee target Walter Nolen with a message on his Instagram story

Attended Powell HS in Knoxville and was rated as the #1 prospect in the country out of high School.

FnbmR5CX0AAWY0q

Reactions: ugg
I think that's partially the logic behind the argument of scrum caps for football training. Forcing the players to tackle properly and wrap up.

But football would have to change tackling rules similar to rugby to make a huge difference imo. Helmets were supposed to protect players from incidental contact to the head and hitting the ground. Instead they started being used as weapons.

On the issue of using the head as a weapon... I think it's baked into American football but we could add rules to somewhat change it but the legacy of our sport from its inception is far more violent than rugby. The whole reason helmets were added was because players were getting actual skull fractures and dying. Others were left crippled and seriously injured. And that was when American football still didn't have the forward pass and more resembled rugby. There was a real reason that the general public and universities wanted to dump it and almost did.

It has always been far more violent than rugby: Football Was So Brutal in the 1890s That Many Called for Its Ban

Football degraded in the 1890s to a sport that left many of its participants crippled, disfigured or worse. In 1897, a member of the Georgia football team died in a game against Virginia — an incident that nearly led the state of Georgia to ban football. Two weeks later, the New York World reported that at least eight people died playing the sport that season, and it listed more than 200 additional serious injuries that had occurred. “The list,” the World reported, “is a gory calendar of human anguish, an encyclopedia of broken bones, torn ligaments, fractured skulls, twisted necks, shredded muscles, broken ribs, gashed bodies, dislocated joints, backs and chests crushed in, scalps ripped off and jaws mashed.”

AND

Criticism of football spread throughout the South the next year. Finally, on Oct. 30, 1898, the Knoxville Tribune published a full-page editorial calling for a ban on college football. “Year after year the list of victims grows,” the article stated, giving three different examples of serious injury leading to players’ deaths:

“Two opposing players running. A careless tackle by one caused the heads of the two to come violently together. Result, one man so seriously hurt that convulsion of the brain ensued, ending in death.”

“A scrimmage. Man holding ball went down with as many men stopping him as could get near enough to add their weight to the heap. Lower man did not raise when the mass disentangled itself. Examination showed that his neck had been broken, killing him instantly.

“Four players fell in a heap. In the struggle one lashed out with his foot, catching another on the head with the heel of his heavy shoe. Kicked man died three days later.”

Last edited:
On the issue of using the head as a weapon... I think it's baked into American football but we could add rules to somewhat change it but the legacy of our sport from its inception is far more violent than rugby. The whole reason helmets were added was because players were getting actual skull fractures and dying. Others were left crippled and seriously injured. And that was when American football still didn't have the forward pass and more resembled rugby. There was a real reason that the general public and universities wanted to dump it and almost did.

It has always been far more violent than rugby: Football Was So Brutal in the 1890s That Many Called for Its Ban

AND
Here is part of the reason….. those guys back then had zero F’s to A84CCB28-BF2D-4927-9E01-2F2A085889D5.png

Anyone ever had a dream that felt like it lasted an extremely long time? Like you were in the dream for days and days?
I can lucid dream pretty well after years of practicing and can end up in those once a month or so. Other times I'm too aware and wake myself.

I've also had a TON of inception leveling recently, where I "wake up" about 2 or 3 different times, but each time still dreaming. Those are a little wacky.

I've read stories about people that live out multiple years, sometimes lifetimes in dreams
Interesting. Don't think I've ever aged. At least while lucid dreaming. Been more focused on mapping out my dreamworld so I can reliably jump from location to location.

There are some cool books out there of lucid dreamers that tell long stories all about their dreamworld, the locations, and recurring characters. One guy has a library and can read books 😳

Here is part of the reason….. those guys back then had zero F’s to View attachment 533124
Absolutely. We have always been more violent than others and it took major changes (the forward pass and helmets) to get us to this level of safety but a lot of it is the way football was played then and even the way it is played now is simply far more violent and less controlled than a sport like rugby. For American Football, it's more than just a matter of pads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back