Recruiting Forum Football Talk V

Status
Not open for further replies.

200w.gif

Looking closer at our secondary performance in the Florida game –

Throughout the offseason and during fall camp we were told that we wanted to rotate guys on our defense more this year and that we thought we would have the depth to do that. Martinez was talking about rotating around 8 guys in the backend.

The rotation plan has worked with the guys up front on the DL and at LB but at least in the Florida game it did not work in the backend. RTI posts the PFF grades for players after each game and PFF shows that Christian Charles played 81 plays, Kamal Hadden played 89 plays. Both Jaylen McCollough and Trevon Flowers each played 90 plays. Tamarion McDonald played 74 plays. By contrast the guys on the DL and at LB were playing around 60 plays and of course through 4 games they're top 25 in the country against the run. The guys in the back are 128th against the pass in terms of yards given up. I know, I know. It's a team game and it takes all 11 men, etc., etc..

I was wondering when I wrote about our secondary Sunday night why we weren’t rotating the guys in the backend like we were “promised”. I omitted that from my post but I was disappointed that it seemed we had reverted back to only playing the guys we “trusted”.

In my projected 2-deep at the beginning of the season I thought we had 4 corners, Charles, Burrell, Hadden, and Williams. Well, obviously Burrell is out with an injury suffered at the end of the Pitt game (LWS says he will be out several weeks) and Dee Williams has yet to play (LWS says he’s getting closer to being back but will need some practice reps once back before he can play).

As much as anything asking our guys in the backend to play that many snaps is likely a contributor to some breakdowns and fatigue-like performance on the part of the guys, particularly in the 2Q and 4Q. jmo.

This is a table of Anthony Richardson’s performance by quarter against us (XP = explosive play).

ScreenHunter 1028.png

Maybe think about it like this. Richardson wasn't connecting on a lot of his passes, especially relative to Hooker, but they kept firing at us waiting for our guys to tire out and make a mistake, similar to what O'Connell did to us at the end of last year in the bowl game.

I think the staff, both Heupel in his press conference on Wednesday and Tim Banks at his appearance before the Knoxville QB club, have avoided saying at the moment we have a depth issue in the backend of our defense – due to missing guys we were counting on. What we’re getting could be just coach-speak about needing to play better which we can – up to a point. The guy’s performance is going to drop off once they get past a certain number of snaps. I don’t see any way around that. jmo.

I think what we will probably try to do this bye week is to get at least one more corner and one more safety ready to play so that we can rest our starters a bit near the end of the 1Q/beginning of the 2Q and near the end of the 3Q/beginning of the 4Q, sort of like basketball teams often do over the course of their games. That way we have a little more juice to finish out the halves. It’s all about trust. We need depth in the backend similar to what we have on the DL and in the WR room. We’ve got some bodies; They just need to earn the coaches' trust so they can help us now. It starts in practice. jmo.

Brandon Turnage and Andre Turrentine both are listed as participating in the Florida game, special teams I presume. Let's go guys. We need you to step up. jmo.

Elk and bison chili and cornbread twice this week already. 🦬 🤌🏻 I’m never leaving Montana.

Are you just visiting or living here now? We live in Billings.

If you have any extra time, head on up to Glacier; it should be peak fall color up there, at least on the east side. Here is the link to an article that I just published in "Distinctly Montana," based on our trip up there last year, which gives you a good idea of just how gorgeous it is up there this time of year if Mother Nature decides to cooperate fully: Montana’s Annual Autumnal Gold Rush.

I know that we normally have about 50-60% of the crowd when we play at Vandy.
but, 100%? No way. We could checker the visitors side of stadium but not the home side.
There's one way to find out... Besides the home side is, honestly, a glorified visitors section anywhere else..

If you had a police lineup...with a Donut, a dustmop,and a vagina...and told that team "
" pick the 1 where babies come from. "

Not 1 of those dudes could truly be certain when they picked. I guarantee you none of those young men has ever seen a bearded clam in the flesh. Ever. Period. GO VOLS!

If you have any extra time, head on up to Glacier; it should be peak fall color up there, at least on the east side. Here is the link to an article that I just published in "Distinctly Montana," based on our trip up there last year, which gives you a good idea of just how gorgeous it is up there this time of year if Mother Nature decides to cooperate fully: Montana’s Annual Autumnal Gold Rush.

Man I would if I could. Were just visiting some friends that have property in Gateway.

Yeah, after screwing over a school with one of the best gameday atmospheres in the country, he just needs to zip it.

I called out SEC Mike for claiming Ole Miss had 93% attendance this year. Look at both photos guys... thats my tweet at the bottom.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220928-095813_Twitter.jpg
    Screenshot_20220928-095813_Twitter.jpg
    605.6 KB · Views: 207
  • Screenshot_20220928-095857_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220928-095857_Chrome.jpg
    746.4 KB · Views: 208

Throughout the offseason and during fall camp we were told that we wanted to rotate guys on our defense more this year and that we thought we would have the depth to do that. Martinez was talking about rotating around 8 guys in the backend.

The rotation plan has worked with the guys up front on the DL and at LB but at least in the Florida game it did not work in the backend. RTI posts the PFF grades for players after each game and PFF shows that Christian Charles played 81 plays, Kamal Hadden played 89 plays. Both Jaylen McCollough and Trevon Flowers each played 90 plays. Tamarion McDonald played 74 plays. By contrast the guys on the DL and at LB were playing around 60 plays and of course through 4 games they're top 25 in the country against the run. The guys in the back are 128th against the pass in terms of yards given up. I know, I know. It's a team game and it takes all 11 men, etc., etc..

I was wondering when I wrote about our secondary Sunday night why we weren’t rotating the guys in the backend like we were “promised”. I omitted that from my post but I was disappointed that it seemed we had reverted back to only playing the guys we “trusted”.

In my projected 2-deep at the beginning of the season I thought we had 4 corners, Charles, Burrell, Hadden, and Williams. Well, obviously Burrell is out with an injury suffered at the end of the Pitt game (LWS says he will be out several weeks) and Dee Williams has yet to play (LWS says he’s getting closer to being back but will need some practice reps once back before he can play).

As much as anything asking our guys in the backend to play that many snaps is likely a contributor to some breakdowns and fatigue-like performance on the part of the guys, particularly in the 2Q and 4Q. jmo.

This is a table of Anthony Richardson’s performance by quarter against us (XP = explosive play).

View attachment 495455

Maybe think about it like this. Richardson wasn't connecting on a lot of his passes, especially relative to Hooker, but they kept firing at us waiting for our guys to tire out and make a mistake, similar to what O'Connell did to us at the end of last year in the bowl game.

I think the staff, both Heupel in his press conference on Wednesday and Tim Banks at his appearance before the Knoxville QB club, have avoided saying at the moment we have a depth issue in the backend of our defense – due to missing guys we were counting on. What we’re getting could be just coach-speak about needing to play better which we can – up to a point. The guy’s performance is going to drop off once they get past a certain number of snaps. I don’t see any way around that. jmo.

I think what we will probably try to do this bye week is to get at least one more corner and one more safety ready to play so that we can rest our starters a bit near the end of the 1Q/beginning of the 2Q and near the end of the 3Q/beginning of the 4Q, sort of like basketball teams often do over the course of their games. That way we have a little more juice to finish out the halves. It’s all about trust. We need depth in the backend similar to what we have on the DL and in the WR room. We’ve got some bodies; They just need to earn the coaches' trust so they can help us now. It starts in practice. jmo.

Brandon Turnage and Andre Turrentine both are listed as participating in the Florida game, special teams I presume. Let's go guys. We need you to step up. jmo.

Great effort and post bro. Go VOLS

I grew up in Colstrip. Lots of memories in Billings.

View attachment 495455

Turnage played CB at least 1 possession…..he was so out of position…… the staff jerked him off the field the very next play…. I don’t think we have anyone else close to being ready….. sucks about Burrell…. We really need him back.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back