Recruiting Forum Football Talk V

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do think we are a legit Top 10 team...but I think that parity is amazing outside of the 2-3 deep 5* loaded UGA, Bama and OSU.

I don't think that much separates #5 from #25.

Case in point...us. We needed OT to beat Pitt (good Top 20 team) and UF (good Top 20 team) took us down to the wire.
The difference this time, as a battered 59 year old fan (shut up Byron and Glich), I was never worried either game in my gut. Sure, I bit my nails and screamed at the TV, but never once did I think the outcome would be any different. Sure, it could have both times, but I never felt that dread I’ve felt since…I don’t remember.

Edit: honorable mention, InVol. Pfft, you’re not fooling anyone. You’ll see this at a crisp 5 a.m. fall morning.

Maybe so... but I think time slot was also affected by this being a CBS double-header weekend. Also, we sure have had a lot of brunch food tailgates the past few years, which makes me think it's still a little bit Jefferson-Pilotish!
If TN is playing TN-Martin on SEC Network+ at 11am then it is definitely Jefferson Pilot-ish, but against LSU on ESPN is different. That will be going head to head against Fox’s best game and ESPN isn’t gonna just give that up usually.

Another remarkable thing about the game that flies somewhat under the radar is that we uncharacteristically turned the ball over in the red zone twice. It is not that improbable that the defense could have played the exact same and we would have won by 22.

And we also had two touchdowns taken off the scoreboard. You can't take it for granted that we scored a second TD in each case. The plays came back and yardage was assessed. A lot of teams end up with 3, 6, or 7 points in that scenario.

Based on previous film, it would have been incompetence to not force AR to throw over letting him run. Play zone, and everyone watches the QB. We then played man on multiple 4th down plays and still got beat. I am of the opinion that indeed a big issue is personnel. We are playing a lot of guys who haven’t really played much. I guess we just throw the development of Taylor and Theo out the window. Just like the offense has to play together for everything to work (Tillman’s injury from a high throw because a DL was grabbing Hooker’s collar), the defense is the same. Coaching can always get better, but I don’t believe that is the sole problem.
You definitely have to look at yards per play with out defense, not total yardage. Every team's stats will look better against us because they get waaaay more offensive plays per game. Also, the game plan was DEFINITELY making AR beat us with his arm. It's not even a question. It's obvious.

And we absolutely shut down the run. Tbh I'm shocked Napier didn't try to play to his team's strength more by forcing the run. He put a lot of trust into AR to throw.

#7 Utah: 7.0 yds pass - 7.3 yds run
#20 Kentucky: 4.1 yds pass - 4.5 yds run
USF: 6.2 yds pass - 7.2 yds run

Florida had been averaging more yards per run than pass, even in the Kentucky game where they lost.

We gave up 10.1 yards per pass to UF, but we absolutely stifled their run game. 3.4 yards per rush.

Pitt (a superior passing team averaging 8.9 yards per pass and 4.3 yards per rush on the season), we held to 6.2 yards pass and 3.6 yards rush.

So I definitely think it was gameplan. If we had given Florida a window to get their run game going they would have run the clock and they would have wore us down. It was important to keep them throwing and sell out for the run. If they throw the whole game and score, at least the clock stops on incomplete passes and their drives are shorter.

The difference this time, as a battered 59 year old fan (shut up Byron and Glich), I was never worried either game in my gut. Sure, I bit my nails and screamed at the TV, but never once did I think the outcome would be any different. Sure, it could have both times, but I never felt that dread I’ve felt since…I don’t remember.

Edit: honorable mention, InVol. Pfft, you’re not fooling anyone. You’ll see this at a crisp 5 a.m. fall morning.
I love the preemptive shut up. It's almost like you're reading my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back