Recruiting Forum Football Talk V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone with ESPN+ please post the whole snippet about TN. They menntioned TN in the headline but nothing about us in the small section I can read.

Miami's hope, Nebraska's reset and more lessons for six former CFB powers

Glory days: Tennessee has had three periods of high-level success, most recently from 1985 to 2001, when it recorded nine AP top-10 finishes with a national title in 1998 and five SEC championships (outright or shared). The Volunteers never finished outside the AP top nine from 1995 to 1999 and finished No. 4 in 2001. They also had five AP top-10 finishes from 1965 and 1972 and had eight AP top-eight finishes from 1938 to 1956 with a national title in 1951.

What happened next: A year after Tennessee finished No. 12 in 2007, coach Phillip Fulmer recorded his second losing record in four seasons and was fired. Lane Kiffin spent only one season as Vols coach before departing for Southern California, and Tennessee has since recorded only two AP Top 25 finishes (2015 and 2016 under Butch Jones) and zero 10-win seasons. The Vols had only two losing regular seasons from 1981 and 2007, but they have since had seven.

What held back the program: Leadership instability. From 1977 until 2008, Tennessee had two coaches: Fulmer and Johnny Majors. The program had three athletic directors from 1963 and 2010. Since Fulmer's departure, Tennessee has had five coaches and four ADs. There have been bad coaching hires and moments of peak dysfunction, most notably the search to replace Jones that briefly resulted in Greg Schiano's hiring and ultimately led to athletic director John Currie's ouster and the hiring of coach Jeremy Pruitt, whose otherwise forgettable tenure led to 18 alleged NCAA violations.

Biggest lesson for the future: Tennessee has to lean into its advantages with the right type of guardrails, especially from a leadership standpoint. The Vols' fan base is massive, passionate and extremely engaged. While other groups would have tuned out during the past 15 years, Tennessee fans are as invested as ever, sometimes too much.

"Football and the Power T matters to them a great deal," current Vols coach Josh Heupel told me this summer. "It is truly embedded in who they are and how they live their lives, in some ways. That has a great effect on the energy we feel. That changes the focus and how intentional we are and the way we work. It has a huge impact on recruiting too."

The combination of Heupel and athletic director Danny White, who worked together at UCF, gives Tennessee a chance to establish a more stable foundation and identity for the program. Tennessee has been aggressive in the NIL space and the opportunities Knoxville -- "A college city," Heupel said -- can provide athletes. But Tennessee's trajectory won't truly change until the people at the top stop changing.

Last edited:
Hooker still needs to tighten up and get some stats under his belt to make sure we’ve improved his draft stock. There are still some misses in two games I’d love to see him connect on. We are 2-0 and have a beatable Florida team limping into neyland next week. Next year? Let’s keep everyone dialed in for THiS year and make some noise edit… I’ll add if w handle it like ball st Milton is going to be getting plenty of reps and I have gained a ton of respect for how he’s handled himself at our program.

Idk if I’d say FL is limping in. Likely will be 2-1 with a top 10 win and a 10 pt loss to a now top 10 team

Reactions: OrangenSC
If Neyland only held around 80k then our record would likely be close to that as well.

Memorial holds 90kish, not 80k.

Say what you want about Nebraska, those fans are loyal and that’s an impressive steak, even though I believe I read some donors have had to eat up some tickets sometimes.

Curses on the NFL for making me watch a football game not on a network and not on YouTubeTV with no DVR that I can find.

I know, I know…

View attachment 490402

“Amazon says to record the game, and use other DVR features, you go to the game’s page on the Prime Video app or the Amazon web site. (Here’s the Chargers-Chiefs page for tomorrow night.) There you select ‘Record Thursday Night Football’ or ‘Add to Watchlist and Record.’ This will set your page or app to enable game recordings for the entire season.”

Reactions: franklinpence
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back