Recruiting Forum Football Talk V

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always though Small runs his best when he stays north and south. He doesn't have the quickness or acceleration to really bounce outside, but so far he seems to be trying to do it more often.

Wright however does have the quickness to do it, he's also put in a lot of work changing his body this past off-season. I think because he was no-contact so much it allowed him to have fresher legs as well here at the beginning of the season. But overall he just seems to have some very good natural RB ability that Small doesn't seem to have.

So I guess I'd say Wright is more decisive in his running and I think he's got better vision, so he's making better reads on which holes to hit and when compared to Small. And as a RB getting through the LOS quickly and without getting touched is the difference in a 2 or 3 yard run and a 6 or 8 yard one. Both in the open field are great runners though, Wright just seems better at getting through the LOS.
Ah Ha Idea GIF - Ah Ha Idea Eureka - Discover & Share GIFs.gif

Well he’s at Kentucky so I’d say 10 win seasons are basically championships for them

Also 61 wins is pretty pathetic for a career...he's been there 10 years (counting this season) and he's 61-53 for his career so far.

Rich Brooks had 39 wins in 7 seasons and had won 7 or more in 4 straight seasons before retiring. Good chance if he'd stuck around for 3 more years he would have surpassed 60 wins there.

Bill Battle had 59 in 7 seasons here...it's a pretty low bar honestly.

Not worried about Hooker.

But am getting concerned about rushing. Hooker is sitting at 1.95 ypc (sacks included ofc in college) and Small 3.5.

Wright is the only one producing, but he keeps fumbling.

Really missing Evans right about now. As much as we run the ball in this offense, we have to find reliable options.
Agree we really need some guys to step up asap...Unfortunately in this offense especially u have to run/pass block often.Wrights looked the best as u said but cant hold onto the ball.That will get u benched most times asap.

Reactions: Devo182
Also 61 wins is pretty pathetic for a career...he's been there 10 years (counting this season) and he's 61-53 for his career so far.

Rich Brooks had 39 wins in 7 seasons and had won 7 or more in 4 straight seasons before retiring. Good chance if he'd stuck around for 3 more years he would have surpassed 60 wins there.

Stoops has done an excellent job for UK (it’s ok to admit this and still be a Vol fan). It’s UK. They’ll never win anything of true significance but for their football reality he is basically a king.

Reporters should continue to troll Beamer, not ask one single question about his team, just the opponents’ strengths… let’s see if a little Butch Jones pops out of his neck.
close enough....

ezgif-5-80b2c5a475.gif

Stoops has done an excellent job for UK (it’s ok to admit this and still be a Vol fan). It’s UK. They’ll never win anything of true significance but for their football reality he is basically a king.

He has, but it's a low bar cause it's Kentucky. Your "all time" leader in wins as a HC there was 60...and Stoops is also the only HC that's been there longer than 8 seasons.

He recruits well and plays a soft schedule, the SEC East has also been a crap show during his tenure. I think he's a solid coach, but I'd be curious to see him in a situation where he really has expectations to succeed. (Nebraska or Iowa for example)

Out of curiosity I looked at some other coaches.

James Franklin went 24-15 in 3 years at Vanderbilt (a much much harder job). That would have put him on pace for 80 wins in 10 seasons.

At Penn State (an easier job), he's 69-34 (2-0 this year). On pace for 86 wins in 10 seasons. As a head coach he's averaged just over 8 wins a year after 11 seasons of coaching.

Stoops is averaging 6 wins. Maybe if he moved on to a bigger school he would have a touch more success, but I still don't know if I'd expect him to win more than 7 games a year on average.

Edit: Heupel has averaged just over 9 wins in his 4 years as a head coach. He's on pace for 92 wins after 10 years.

Stoops is a good coach. But he's also working with very little pressure on him. Most games are house money for him. It's a different story when there are huge expectations every year. He can afford a couple of down years in a row without facing much heat. He also doesn't have to win the East ever and he'll be fine.

I mean...you can also make the point that after the first 3 seasons, Stoops has been pretty damn good.

47-29 in 6 seasons so 61.8% and an average of 7.8 wins a year
And if you take out the covid season since it's kind of an outliner
42-23 in 5 seasons so 64.6% and an average of 8.4 wins a year

He's built them up for sure, but he's also probably playing one of the softest SEC schedules of anyone. Mississippi State as the yearly west opponent, Vols, Florida, and South Carolina all having some of their worst seasons in program history and Missouri fading away in the post Pinkel era. Also helps they have a yearly rival in Louisville who has one winning seasons since 2017.

Saban has averaged 10.35 wins a year in his career.
Fulmer averaged 9.25 (Heupel is 9.25 in his 4 years)
Jimbo Fisher 9.75
Kirk Ferentz 7.30
Harbaugh 9.00
Pete Carroll*** 12.125
Mack Brown 8.03
Les Miles 8.41

Took the liberty to remove seasons and wins from incomplete years (Covid, interim, firing, current).

Mack Brown was hot garbage when he started coaching. Back in the day where you could go 1-10 3 years in a row at a P5 school and they'd let you keep coaching.

After looking at Mack Brown's career I could actually see Stoops having a similar trajectory. It took him a while to get UNC up. Then he got the call from Texas. Had a world of success there, retired, and now back at UNC where he's been up and down.

Last edited:
Saban has averaged 10.35 wins a year in his career.
Fulmer averaged 9.25 (Heupel is 9.25 in his 4 years)
Jimbo Fisher 9.75
Kirk Ferentz 7.30
Harbaugh 9.00
Pete Carroll*** 12.125
Mack Brown 8.03
Les Miles 8.41

Took the liberty to remove seasons and wins from incomplete years (Covid, interim, firing, current).

Mack Brown was hot garbage when he started coaching. Back in the day where you could go 1-10 3 years in a row at a P5 school and they'd let you keep coaching.

After looking at Mack Brown's career I could actually see Stoops having a similar trajectory. It took him a while to get UNC up. Then he got the call from Texas. Had a world of success there, retired, and now back at UNC where he's been up and down.
What's with the Pete Carroll number. Oh is that including NFL?

Reactions: Orange.
I think it may mean more than simply that. I think it means they are likely joining the SEC sooner than expected.

The SEC's reasoning is that the second game in each series was to "take place after Oklahoma joins the SEC in 2025." That led the SEC to nix Georgia's game at Oklahoma next season and Oklahoma's game at Tennessee in 2024.

from espn article

Reactions: ScornedPapaVol
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back