Recruiting Forum Football Talk V

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not gonna argue with you, I'll leave that to all the badass rock n rollers who have said it over and over about The Beatles. They quite literally could play ANY TYPE of tune you could possibly want to listen to, and make it as if it were the very first time you were hearing those sounds...they were masters, no matter the genre. Zeppelin couldn't do that, as much as I love them. Dude, they're my second favorite that's ever been, ahead The Who, The Stones, The Clash, CCR, Cream...

Love your list but just can't agree on The Beatles. Went from pop to acid rock to experimental crap. I do like The Beatles (especially The White Album) but I think they are very overrated because they started the British Invasion. Lennon and McCartney were great songwriters and Harrison was a very good guitar player but Zeppelin were all elite masters of their instruments/vocals and wrote much more complex music....plus I prefer heavier stuff. Each member of Zeppelin has an argument for the best at what they did. The same can't be said for The Beatles, IMO.

WHILE here. Read an op ed of top 100 guitarists by Rolling Stone - written by some of top guitarists.
Omar Rodriguez-Lopez not even being listed tells me what a crying shame that list was. Insanity. People literally spending $200 MINIMUM to see him tour again this year. That good. I was lucky to get nosebleed presales for $85 a piece for The Tabernacle.

And to have John Frusciante #72, a man that has deconstructed and restructured every guitar sound known to mankind...crazy.

Hendrix #1...not going to complain though.

Edit: also noticed Brian Bell (Weezer) was one of the voters. Bearden/Knoxville kid.

Last edited:
Yeah, there is no overrating Elvis, in any way...white, black, brown, or blue; as I take NOTHING away from James Brown. James was no Otis, though, imo...not even close...nor was he Sam Cooke, Marvin Gaye, or Ray Charles; and, I LOVE James Brown.

I disagree. I love Elvis but he isn't as good as the others imo, including Otis. He was still great but I think that he was great looking (kinda rare for musicians) and the king of cool upped his myth. James Brown, otoh, lived to get old and a little tubby and was never as cool as the King. The reason I mention Elvis being white is because while live audiences got to see James Brown dance tv audiences didn't and the photogenic mega-star that was Elvis got to showcase his talent far more. You can plainly see though when you watch Elvis that he owes a ton to James and others. So does MJ even though I think MJ was a better performer.

Where Elvis really shined was in a few songs but he was always more dependent on other artists. He gave back and that's one thing that's not talked about enough. He stayed with Sun (think it was Sun records) for the sole purpose of helping black artists (could be wrong on the label) and that history never gets talked about.

Reactions: gainesvol82
I'm not gonna argue with you, I'll leave that to all the badass rock n rollers who have said it over and over about The Beatles. They quite literally could play ANY TYPE of tune you could possibly want to listen to, and make it as if it were the very first time you were hearing those sounds...they were masters, no matter the genre. Zeppelin couldn't do that, as much as I love them. Dude, they're my second favorite that's ever been, ahead The Who, The Stones, The Clash, CCR, Cream...
That's it for me. If they had only released a couple albums...ok...fine. But they evolved and evolved and just...man...so much respect for the breadth of their catalog.

Reactions: SugarCC
Love your list but just can't agree on The Beatles. Went from pop to acid rock to experimental crap. I do like The Beatles (especially The White Album) but I think they are very overrated because they started the British Invasion. Lennon and McCartney were great songwriters and Harrison was a very good guitar player but Zeppelin were all elite masters of their instruments/vocals and wrote much more complex music....plus I prefer heavier stuff. Each member of Zeppelin has an argument for the best at what they did. The same can't be said for The Beatles, IMO.
You're crazy. 😉🙂

How about the greatest Tennessee musicians?

Johnny Cash and B.B. King both moved here in their early-mid 20s, but not sure I'd consider them true Tennesseeans. The Allmans were basically the reverse, moved away in their 20s before beginning their career. Aretha Franklin was born here, but moved away as a child, so not sure I'd count her either.

Elvis and Dolly seem the clear #1 and #2. Justin Timberlake, Usher, and Tina Turner are up there as well as world renowned artists.

Then you have people like Miley Cyrus and Ke$ha...who I'm not sure we want to accept lol.

Kings of Leon and Kenny Chesney get honorable mentions, though not sure how well they're known by the world. And we can't forget Three Six Mafia 😅. Sure I'm missing a few people.
Lou Bond. Check out "Snob". Once saw him live in a small cafe in Cooper/Young. What a treat.

Reactions: Devo182
Screw Mick Jagger's skanky homo-erotic self. Most overrated frontman in history. The Stones were mostly garbage with a few great songs like Paint It Black, Can't Get No Satisfaction and Gimme Shelter. Just cause they had longevity doesn't make them all-time greats. Brian Jones death was the end of their great music. Robert Plant was the GOAT classic rock front man with Ronnie Van Zant close behind. I'd take David Gilmour over Jagger even though he split duties with Roger Waters.
The Stones have not aged well, Robert Plant on the other hand....

Nina Simone
Lou Reed
Bob Dylan
McCartney

But I'll go with Nina Simone. No, she didn't write ALL of her hits, but all the ones she wrote were gosh darn amazing. Still sad they fudged her biographical movie. She deserved one as good as Aretha Franklin's, but ended up with a garbage clump of cellulose.

I had an aunt who dated Lou Reed. Crazy as it sounds he has been to my granny's house. lol.

I disagree. I love Elvis but he isn't as good as the others imo, including Otis. He was still great but I think that he was great looking (kinda rare for musicians) and the king of cool upped his myth. James Brown, otoh, lived to get old and a little tubby and was never as cool as the King. The reason I mention Elvis being white is because while live audiences got to see James Brown dance tv audiences didn't and the photogenic mega-star that was Elvis got to showcase his talent far more. You can plainly see though when you watch Elvis that he owes a ton to James and others. So does MJ even though I think MJ was a better performer.

Where Elvis really shined was in a few songs but he was always more dependent on other artists. He gave back and that's one thing that's not talked about enough. He stayed with Sun (think it was Sun records) for the sole purpose of helping black artists (could be wrong on the label) and that history never gets talked about.
I appreciate it, Prof, thank you...but, I know all the history, have known it for a long time, you're not wrong...still doesn't change what Elvis meant TO IT ALL.

Also, as far as singing, being a great singer, James Brown shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as Elvis.

Michael Jackson is in a league of his own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back