Recruiting Forum Football Talk V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hooker is a legend. We really lucked out on having him. He's talented, for one, but then to have his attitude and perseverance. No drama, no diva, just work and positivity. His toughness is borderline shocking at times.

All of the ingredients that make a leader. Obviously he carries himself well off the field because he has the entire team's respect. Really proud to have him as our QB.

My son is there as well. :confused:
My in-laws are in Ft Myers. MIL has late stage Alzheimer's and my wife is supposed to be flying down to see her Friday night, but we are fully expecting the flight to be cancelled. They said that there is no gas at any of the stations or water at any of the stores. Neighbor is a lineman and they are taking a pallet of water down there with them getting ready to assist Tampa Bay.

I think we have a real shot with Hobbs. Not sure on Davis. 247 only has him interested in 3 schools, Bama, FSU, and for some strange reason, SCar. Not sure why we don't seem to be in that race right now. We should know more about Parker after his OV. Have to like our chances with Carter. These are JMO.

Does Davis have a visit to UT set up?

Hooker is a legend. We really lucked out on having him. He's talented, for one, but then to have his attitude and perseverance. No drama, no diva, just work and positivity. His toughness is borderline shocking at times.

All of the ingredients that make a leader. Obviously he carries himself well off the field because he has the entire team's respect. Really proud to have him as our QB.
Loved that he grabbed Mincey when he was jawing off to FL and told him to act right

Vol Nation,

I don't normally ask, but I would appreciate any prayers, thoughts, and positive wishes. My wife just left for a 6 month deployment. We have a 4 year old and an 18 month old that are going to miss their mom and I'm going to miss my wife. I'm in the military too so this isn't going to be the easiest 6 months for all of us. I'm just pretty down right now and I'm grateful for any positivity thrown our way.
Prayers for you that God will put people in your path to give you comfort and help. God Bless You both for your service.

But they don't have to. Sorry, but makes no sense.

You have to score a lot to keep up, but it doesn't have to be fast or by passing. In fact, you want to keep the ball away from us, which means running it. Otherwise you're playing right into our hands.

Only if you fall way behind and are running out of time do you want to start passing a lot. Or if that is what you can do well against us.
Yea but our run defense was holding them down with alot of 1 yard runs. Hence having to throw 40 times lol.

An early look at LSU –

Back in the summer I wrote about the talent LSU still had on their roster. They have 5 five stars but only 2 of them have been starting, Maason Smith a SO DT and Kayshon Boutte, a JR WR. Two of the others are freshmen, a LB and S, and they play backup roles. The 5th is John Emery (SR) at RB but he’s only been able to play the last couple of games (Miss State & N. Mex.) and he hasn’t really done much so far.

Noah Cain (R-JR) and Armani Goodwin (SO) are their main two backs so far (both 95 4-stars) but Jayden Daniels (98 4-star) at QB is the leading rusher on the team, both in numbers of carries and in yards gained.

Out of 23 top 100 players (>95) on their roster 12 are FR or SO, mostly FR. They have an additional 15 lower rated 4-stars. There are at least 2 walkons in the 2-deep and they’ve had a 2-star SO starting at LG. Their starting LT is a 98 4-star FR. Their starting center has been a 95 4-star R-FR. At RG they have a 91 4-star R-JR and at RT a 3-star R-SR.

Along with Boutte at WR they have a 3-star SO and a 90 4-star SO. Their starting TE is a 3-star FR.

I think the strength of the defense is their defensive line, similar to Florida in talent, but like Florida not quite as effective so far against the run as we have been. The two interior guys are the afore mentioned Smith a 5-star SO at DT and the NT is a 98 4-star JR. At DE that have a 3-star SR and at Jack they have BJ Ojulari a 96 4-star JR.

At LB they have two 91 4-stars starting, one a R-JR and the other a SO. Their backups are a 5-star FR and a 3-star SO.

Their backend has been reconstructed with mostly transfers. At NB they have an 89 4-star SR. At the corners they have a walk-on GR and an 84 3-star SR. At one safety they have a 92 4-star SO and at the other a 3-star SR.

They’re pretty balanced on offense between the run and pass. They’ve generated 24 explosive run plays and 8 explosive pass plays through 4 games. We’ve generated 21 explosive run plays and 20 explosive pass plays.

Their defense has given up 14 explosive run plays; we’ve given up 8. They’ve given up 9 explosive pass plays; we’ve given up – do I have to write this? – 16. Explosive run plays are defined as 10+ yards. Explosive pass plays are defined as 20+ yards. A full one-third of all the passing yards we’ve given up were due to explosive plays by our opponents.

For defensive pass efficiency LSU is at #28 and we’re at #51. For yards per rushing attempt allowed LSU is at #47; we’re at #24. We just shut down Florida’s high flying run game and put up over 200 yards rushing on what was at the time a highly touted run defense.

LSU has run the ball 145 times through 4 games and passed 145 times. We’ve run the ball 173 times in 4 games and passed 130 times. LSU has defended 128 rush attempts; we’ve defended 132 rush attempts. LSU has defended 99 pass attempts; we’ve defended 178. Folks are picking on our pass defense because our run defense has been stout.

Our QB has the 8th highest passer rating in the nation and the 1st in the conference. Theirs is ranked 44th nationally and 7th in the conference. ESPN’s QBR has Hooker as 3rd best in the nation and 1st in the SEC. Daniels is at 14th best in the nation and 4th best QBR in the SEC.

They’ve generated 8 QBH and 11 sacks; we’ve generated 42 QBH and 9 sacks.

They’ve allowed 21 TFLs, including 13 sacks; we’ve allowed 15 TFLs, including 8 sacks.

They’ve have 12 PBUs; so have we. They’ve gotten 2 Ints; we’ve gotten 4. They’ve forced 4 fumbles; so have we.

They’ve scored 13 rushing TDs and 7 passing TDs; we’ve scored 15 rushing TDs and 11 passing TDs. They’ve earned 96 first downs and we’ve earned 107.

They’ve allowed 3 rushing TD; we’ve allowed 4. They’ve allowed 3 passing TDs; we’ve allowed 5. They’ve allowed 54 first downs; we’ve allowed 92.

Matt House is their DC and he rose to fame in 2018 by helping UK to their first 10 win season in like forever. He lost to Pruitt that year who was in his rookie season as a HC by a score of 24-7, one of their 3 losses.

One last thing. Mississippi State was leading LSU 16-10 a couple weeks ago as the game entered the 4th quarter. LSU’s offense exploded for a 21 point performance in that 4th quarter and got the win 31-16. At the very end of the 3rd quarter LSU punted the ball to MSU which muffed the punt and gave LSU the ball back on the MSU 9 yard line. As the 4th quarter got underway LSU took it in for a TD and a 17-16 point lead.

LSU held MSU to 3 & out after the kickoff and after fielding the punt marched down the field for another TD., score 24-16. LSU kicks off again and this time MSU returns the kickoff 88 yards to the LSU 12, but it’s called back because of a holding penalty. Again LSU holds MSU to a 3 & out. They receive the punt, grind out a first down, and on the next play Armani Goodwin finds a seam and rushes 47 yards for the final TD of the game. MSU would get the ball back one more time but the drive would end with a Will Rogers interception. LSU would run out the clock. Game over. It was an epic collapse by MSU that gifted LSU with the win.

I’ve been saying for some time that I thought we had a decent chance to get to the Alabama game undefeated. LSU is the last hurdle. I’m thinking we win based on the strength of our run defense and my hopes that our offense will put the pedal to the metal from the get go and not let off until we’re safely aboard the plane headed out of Baton Rouge. Otherwise we may be holding our collective breaths again as the clock inches towards triple zeros. jmo.

LSU is “ranked” 33 in the AP top 25 and 40 in the coaches poll (based on receiving votes). If they can find a way to blow the doors off of Auburn this week, a team without any offensive pulse whatsoever, it’s possible they could slide into the top 25s ahead of our matchup. The computers right now say this is a toss-up game, a one-score game. I’m figuring Vegas probably will say the same. We’re 2-0 in one score games so far this year. 👀

Update to add: As pointed out by others later in this thread LSU's superstar anchor of their interior DL, 5-star SO Maason Smith just underwent surgery for a torn ACL. According to LSU Tigers Wire he is being replaced in the starting lineup by 3-star SO Mekhi Wingo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back