Recruiting Forum Football Talk V

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's tough because the traffic in both cities is booty and that's a major factor for me. Knoxville area has better public schools generally imo.

I'd probably have to pick Knoxville bc I'm at least more familiar and still have friends in the area.
Depends on the area of Chattanooga. Avoid Brainerd, Hamilton Place, and East Ridge. I spent a decade in North Shore/ Red Bank/ Hixson side of the River and loved it. The secret to Chattanooga traffic is taking Amnicola Highway or 153 and never touching I-24 or 27.

We're doing the same and also considering both places. Knoxville still has the nod for me personally for my reasons. I think they're both great places with a lot to do and beautiful scenery.

Something worth considering is that Knoxville has a decent airport. If you're in Chatt you have to drive to Knoxville, ATL, or Nashville.

Chattanooga airport has expanded and improved in recent years. There are now direct fights available to Washington DC, Chicago, Charlotte, Atlanta, Dallas, Orlando and Detroit.

What if he had missed the net?
42104677-8913-42b1-a14c-101c8fc94111_text.gif

Just another Tuesday...

My father was an engineer on freight trains until he retired a couple of years ago. Thankfully he never hit/killed anyone, but he said that the fact that he didn't even ever hit anyone is rare. Most engineers will at some point in their careers. Crazy because all the blinky lights and dinging bells and crossing arms designed to inform people that a train is coming.

My father was an engineer on freight trains until he retired a couple of years ago. Thankfully he never hit/killed anyone, but he said that the fact that he didn't even ever hit anyone is rare. Most engineers will at some point in their careers. Crazy because all the blinky lights and dinging bells and crossing arms designed to inform people that a train is coming.

I have two uncles that engineered trains. Both had multiple fatal accidents in their careers.
Apparently stupid people are stupid and think trains can stop for them.

I think the people want to get hit. . .

The Vols got some work in on a Wednesday morning – the second to last practice session we as media will be able to observe. Friday morning’s practice will be the final one we are allowed to go to, but we will still get plenty of media with Heupel, assistants and players throughout the season.

First off, we’ll check the roll. Jacob Warren was not practicing again today, but was seen getting some conditioning work done inside the indoor while the team was out at practice. Wesley Walker missed practice again today – but there’s nothing to worry about there.

Freshman wideout Squirrel White was back practice today. It was a shells day, so don’t know if he would have been a full-go if everyone else was in pads. Nonetheless, he was out with the wide receivers going through individual and running routes.

Elijah Simmons and Kamal Hadden were participants once again today after returning to the practice field Tuesday morning. Jimmy Holiday was dressed and went through stretches, but then stayed back with a trainer when the team went outside, thus suggesting he’s being limited some.

Lyn-J Dixon and Jimmy Calloway did not practice today and senior defensive lineman LaTrell Bumphus was working out in the indoor. That screams maintenance day to me. Cheyenne Labruzza, Solon Page, Christian Harrison, Dee Williams and Deshawn Rucker were all in red jerseys this morning.

Again, most of the guys being held out or limited in some fashion is strictly precautionary. It is day 14 of practice and the Vols are just 15 days away from kickoff.

Wednesday looked good while we were there. Plenty of tackling work to go around for the defense. Linebackers were hitting the tackling sled before working on stance & steps under the cage. The defensive line was hitting the bags, perfecting their footwork as they do each day.

The defensive backs started off my jogging through some route recognition and collision drills on wide receivers. They later worked sideline tacking, angle tackling and mimicked taking on a blocker, shedding and then setting the edge to aid in run.

Over near the offensive line, it was group work as normal with the centers and guard and then later the guards and tackles. Lots of half-speed combo, fold, scoop and down blocks were being repped. A lot of this stuff they do every single day, but it’s important to do the little things every day because if you slide on those, you’ll get beat on Saturdays.

The running backs worked their normal bag drills, keeping the ball high and tight while Jerry Mack punched them with a dummy to simulate tacking on a would-be tackler. Later, the group went through the bags and then turned around to receiver a pass from Mack. That is simulating what a screen pass could look like as you’ve got to get away from the trash up at the line of scrimmage before breaking free in the flat to catch the football.

Dylan Sampson and Justin Williams-Thomas continue to look more comfortable as each day passes by. Jaylen Wright took part in the running back drills today once again.

Finally, the routes on air portion that we aren’t allowed to film. It was more rollout simulations today as all four quarterbacks worked at the same time. Receivers were scattered across the field – down the field – and would work towards the sideline to help their quarterback.

Hendon Hooker and Joe Milton continue to look really good throwing the football in camp. Again, there’s no rush and no defense, but there’s something to be said for not many footballs on the ground. Not every throw is perfect, but there’s a clear difference between those two compared to Jackson and then the walk-ons.

Both veteran quarterbacks threw very well on the run today – each completing the long throw down the field (about 40ish yards). During the simulation, there are four routes and each quarterback will take a turn throwing to each route. They both hit on the intermediate throw as well while later, I saw Jalin Hyatt drop one.

Everything changes in a game-setting, but knowing to roll with your quarterback when he’s evading towards the sideline will become second nature thanks to drills such as this one.

That’s about all we saw today. Energy seemed to be good as the competition factor is still very much in play all over the board – and of course with certain position battles. Special Teams coordinator Mike Ekeler will meet with us around 11:15 and the hope is we get to speak with Jimmy Holiday and Paxton Brooks as well.

The Commanders, 49ers, Giants and Colts were on hand for today's workout.

- Eric Cain

Love the setting of downtown with the mountain/valley region. But the school system has continued to decline and the unsafe areas of Chattanooga have continued to expand. It really depends on where you choose to live in each of those two options. And whether you are willing to use private or charter schools for your kids.
Very true and why I moved away from Chatt when I had kids. I had a friend that taught at Central High and he told me he wouldn't put his kids in any of the public schools around Chattanooga besides Hixson/Middle Valley. There are a lot of good options for charter or private schools, but you know, money. There's a few of the private schools I would avoid after seeing the clueless kids that came from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back