Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not spoiler - just thoughts 48 hours later.

Still surprised, reading around, so few focus on how the ending, and entire show, was about ENDING The Game. So many seem to think The Game should have continued/been won by X character, tons should have died, etc. It was always easy to focus on the character arcs, when the show was ultimately about the story arc. It was about the political philosophy. It was about ending The Game/The Wheel, etc, it was not about where some character ended up. In fact, any study of The Game shows how little individuals ultimately matter. They act as means to an end, as Bran so perfectly articulated time and again. They were never the end, aka "so and so will end up in The Throne and that's what matters".
What you think will happen the first time the great lords can't agree on next ruler? Big wheel keep on rollin'.

Has there been a shift in recruiting philosophy since last Summer? Seems that last year a lot of people were telling us that the staff would not extend an offer to a kid who did not come to camp, unless it was an obvious take. It's been widely reported that, so far, the staff has offered between 400-500 prospects. Are Vols taking more of a shotgun approach now?

Has there been a shift in recruiting philosophy since last Summer? Seems that last year a lot of people were telling us that the staff would not extend an offer to a kid who did not come to camp, unless it was an obvious take. It's been widely reported that, so far, the staff has offered between 400-500 prospects. Are Vols taking more of a shotgun approach now?

Desperation at this piont

Not sure that's correct.
Pruitt uses offers to get kids to camp. Did so many times last year also. Maybe they said he doesn't accept the commitments?
Or maybe someone was mistaken.

Not sure that's correct.
Pruitt uses offers to get kids to camp. Did so many times last year also. Maybe they said he doesn't accept the commitments?
Or maybe someone was mistaken.
Yes. I have read that there are many offers that cannot be committed too without a condition being met (grades, camp, etc.). Is a non-committable offer like a friendship bracelet? I know those types of offers have been around for awhile but I'm not sure what the point is. The 400+ number is solid.

Just checked, we had 448 offers out last year. So, no change.

Reactions: butchna and Sleegro
Yes. I have read that there are many offers that cannot be committed too without a condition being met (grades, camp, etc.). Is a non-committable offer like a friendship bracelet? I know those types of offers have been around for awhile but I'm not sure what the point is. The 400+ number is solid.
Every team would love for these kids to camp and give them extra evaluation time. The offers just seem to make them feel like a school is seriously watching them, even if it's smoke and mirrors.
As long as you have conditions like them continuing to improve, Universities have an out.

Sounds harsh but almost everything in recruiting is now. Same kids won't think twice about breaking their commitment if they're taken.

In May? I guess the stuff I read was making it out like the staff is pretty much offering anyone with a pulse, especially at WR and DB. Supposedly, only Nebraska has extended more offers that Vols so far this class. It doesn't matter to me how many offers they extend as long as the class is good. For comparison, I think Clemson is at about 100 offers,

In May? I guess the stuff I read was making it out like the staff is pretty much offering anyone with a pulse, especially at WR and DB. Supposedly, only Nebraska has extended more offers that Vols so far this class. It doesn't matter to me how many offers they extend as long as the class is good. For comparison, I think Clemson is at about 100 offers,
They're not sorted by date, so idk about May specifically.
I know they were 'scolded' by some players for not offering early enough last year, so if the offers are earlier, probably by design.
Clemson is in a different stratosphere.
But yeah, I agree, I don't care how many we extend, whatever works best for them.

Man...I hate computers sometimes. I'm still down with the main PC at home, can't seem to get either of the 2 hard drives to properly install jack.

Windows 10 sure has a lot of hiccups I've noticed. Debating just going back to Windows 7 and staying there. At this point I'm nearly positive it's bad RAM, really don't think it's likely that two hard drives one of which is a brand new SSD and the other was working fine before the attempted upgrades are bad. Going to go down to just one stick of RAM and see if I can get the OS back install and updated. Then start running RAM test and figure out which of the sticks of RAM is bad.

Reactions: RiotVol
Next question...😎
16cf504adedf88b22d7d27e81afcd203919b1d80_hq.gif

Man...I hate computers sometimes. I'm still down with the main PC at home, can't seem to get either of the 2 hard drives to properly install jack.

Windows 10 sure has a lot of hiccups I've noticed. Debating just going back to Windows 7 and staying there. At this point I'm nearly positive it's bad RAM, really don't think it's likely that two hard drives one of which is a brand new SSD and the other was working fine before the attempted upgrades are bad. Going to go down to just one stick of RAM and see if I can get the OS back install and updated. Then start running RAM test and figure out which of the sticks of RAM is bad.

What's the story behind this?

I bought a laptop with Windows 8.1. Windows 10 came out within the next half year and I upgraded. Over the next 3-4 years I had tons of issues with my laptop regarding Windows 10. I started having daily issues with it so I decided that it had to be a HDD issue. I bought a SSD and popped that sucker in. Still had daily problems with it. So I said "screw you" and put my SSD into my rig and it works fine. I popped the old HDD back into my laptop and it layed on my table at home for a year. I just now put Windows 8.1 back onto it because I'm gonna need it here very soon. So far, it's running fine. I guess Dell just sucks that much (which they do).

I say that to say this, when I built my rig (i5-3570k CPU, GTX 660 GPU, ASRock Z77 motherboard, 8 GB DD3 RAM Corsair Vengeance, and 1TB HDD) I put Windows 7 on it. Worked perfectly. After having all of the trouble I had with 10 on my laptop I was nervous upgrading my rig to 10. It took a few tries, but I bought another SSD (same as the one I bought for my laptop; this is also before I transferred my laptop SSD to my rig) and Windows 10 worked perfectly on it. I still have 10 on my rig and this was ~1.5 years ago when I put it on it. I have since then upgraded to a GTX 1070 FTW GPU and those 2 SSD's are my top 2 HD's with one running the OS and everything works perfectly (as far as I know).

What's the story behind this?

I bought a laptop with Windows 8.1. Windows 10 came out within the next half year and I upgraded. Over the next 3-4 years I had tons of issues with my laptop regarding Windows 10. I started having daily issues with it so I decided that it had to be a HDD issue. I bought a SSD and popped that sucker in. Still had daily problems with it. So I said "screw you" and put my SSD into my rig and it works fine. I popped the old HDD back into my laptop and it layed on my table at home for a year. I just now put Windows 8.1 back onto it because I'm gonna need it here very soon. So far, it's running fine. I guess Dell just sucks that much (which they do).

I say that to say this, when I built my rig (i5-3570k CPU, GTX 660 GPU, ASRock Z77 motherboard, 8 GB DD3 RAM Corsair Vengeance, and 1TB HDD) I put Windows 7 on it. Worked perfectly. After having all of the trouble I had with 10 on my laptop I was nervous upgrading my rig to 10. It took a few tries, but I bought another SSD (same as the one I bought for my laptop; this is also before I transferred my laptop SSD to my rig) and Windows 10 worked perfectly on it. I still have 10 on my rig and this was ~1.5 years ago when I put it on it. I have since then upgraded to a GTX 1070 FTW GPU and those 2 SSD's are my top 2 HD's with one running the OS and everything works perfectly (as far as I know).

Got a i7 rig with a GTX 650 ti on it, also an ASRock motherboard, and originally 16 GB of RAM. Wasn't having issues, but been slowly trying to upgrade since I use the PC for more now. Bought another 16 GB of RAM, exactly same one already in it and then a SSD. Imaged to the SSD and put it and the RAM in then just kept getting blue screens. Essentially at this point I've yet to be able to get a fresh reinstall on either hard drive, the original one and the new SSD one.

So I'm thinking start with one 4 GB stick and just try to get Windows reinstalled then start running RAM test and figure out if I've got a bad stick or which stick is bad.

Got a i7 rig with a GTX 650 ti on it, also an ASRock motherboard, and originally 16 GB of RAM. Wasn't having issues, but been slowly trying to upgrade since I use the PC for more now. Bought another 16 GB of RAM, exactly same one already in it and then a SSD. Imaged to the SSD and put it and the RAM in then just kept getting blue screens. Essentially at this point I've yet to be able to get a fresh reinstall on either hard drive, the original one and the new SSD one.

So I'm thinking start with one 4 GB stick and just try to get Windows reinstalled then start running RAM test and figure out if I've got a bad stick or which stick is bad.

Yeah, RAM can be really tricky. Have you tried upgrading to 10 with the old RAM that was working fine with 7?

Another thing that could be happening is one of your RAM sticks not liking the RAM slot you put it in. That's always fun.

Yeah, RAM can be really tricky. Have you tried upgrading to 10 with the old RAM that was working fine with 7?

Another thing that could be happening is one of your RAM sticks not liking the RAM slot you put it in. That's always fun.

I had Windows 10 originally. The 16 GB and HDD was running 10. Trying to upgrade to 32 GB RAM and SSD with imaged Windows 10...and it went crazy.

Plan at this point is old RAM in the old slots and just see if I can get Windows 7 installed on the new SSD.

Are you trying a fresh install of windows are or you trying to image and restore from backup?

Not spoiler - just thoughts 48 hours later.

Still surprised, reading around, so few focus on how the ending, and entire show, was about ENDING The Game. So many seem to think The Game should have continued/been won by X character, tons should have died, etc. It was always easy to focus on the character arcs, when the show was ultimately about the story arc. It was about the political philosophy. It was about ending The Game/The Wheel, etc, it was not about where some character ended up. In fact, any study of The Game shows how little individuals ultimately matter. They act as means to an end, as Bran so perfectly articulated time and again. They were never the end, aka "so and so will end up in The Throne and that's what matters".

The reality is the 'Wheel' was not going to be broken as easily as what the writers gave us. And Bran as king? The same Bran who not that long ago said "I can't be lord of Winterfell; I can't be lord of anything. I'm the 3-eyed Raven," the same Bran who said he lives in the past, suddenly can now be king of the Six Kingdoms? But speaking of the Six Kingdoms, does anyone really believe the lords, or ladies, of some of those former kingdoms, specifically the Iron Islands and Dorne, would not have insisted on the same independence as Bran gave Sansa and the North, essentially his first act of narcissism as king? We already saw Asha/Yara side with Grey Worm in wanting Jon punished for killing Dany, not to mention the Greyjoy's long-standing hatred of the Starks. I find it hard to believe that she would not have at least put up an argument for the autonomy of the Ironborn. Same with the new prince of Dorne; the writers didn't bother to tell us what house, but Dorne was the one kingdom that Aegon the Conqueror could not conquer, and the Targereyns were only later able to bring into the realm through marriage; and we had seen that tradition continue as late as Rhaegar Targareyn's marriage to Elia Martell. So any real loyalty Dorne had to the Iron Throne was to the Targareyns. Although there were more Martells in the books than in the tv show, for the sake of the show we will assume the Martell house was gone, but it would have been one of the other Dornish great houses (Daynes, Yronwoods) most likely to assume control of Dorne. Bran's control of the kingdoms was rather weak and vulnerable at that point, so I just find it hard to believe that the 2 kingdoms who had been the hardest for the iron Throne to control wouldn't seize what appears to be a golden opportunity for independence.

I had Windows 10 originally. The 16 GB and HDD was running 10. Trying to upgrade to 32 GB RAM and SSD with imaged Windows 10...and it went crazy.

Plan at this point is old RAM in the old slots and just see if I can get Windows 7 installed on the new SSD.

I've never tried imaging an OS before so I wouldn't be any help there. I've always done a fresh install of the OS. You may have to do that (if you haven't already).

Are you trying a fresh install of windows are or you trying to image and restore from backup?

At this point I'm just trying to put a clean copy of Windows 7 or 10 on the SSD at this point.

I've tried 10 with two different USBs and both times it errors out on me, with all 4 sticks of RAM in there.

At this point I'm just trying to put a clean copy of Windows 7 or 10 on the SSD at this point.

I've tried 10 with two different USBs and both times it errors out on me, with all 4 sticks of RAM in there.
Interesting. So you said the next step was to try to install a fresh copy of windows using only the old ram. Let us know how that works out. I'm curious.

*edit: seems like you could just take out the new ram from your current installation and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back