Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
No that isn’t a good idea. He has visited UT multiple times. Also, the word is UT and him were interested in him reclassifying, but his school shut that down.

Definitely a joke. I don't even stalk people my own age anymore.

I was just surprised he was so close and from such a small school.

Agreed, I felt like Cone was a "get a year in the system to RS and learn it" type of guy, not that he needed it or was a project but it was more of a loading for the next season since most think James is a 1 & done.

To me Bone (although a great PG) is less of a loss for next season than Grant would be.
Haven’t read where “most” think James is a one and done...next rung below that. It always depends on how fast they take to the next level. He has some areas to work on.

Haven’t read where “most” think James is a one and done...next rung below that. It always depends on how fast they take to the next level. He has some areas to work on.

5 star, top 25 national ranked is usually assumed to have 1 & done potential, I would however LOVE if he was interested in staying a full four

Rob Lewis made a comment in the chat Monday night on VQ that Josiah James is a better PG today than Jordan Bone and that Turner was just as good or better by the end of the season. He said the PG that picked VT over UT did so because of playing time. He'll be starting at VT and was being brought in for depth at UT. Said that Turner and James will handle PG role just fine.
Hmmm. That’s really the first time I’ve seen that take. I’ve always understood that James belonged off the ball, but could play PG well secondary to that. Bone wasn’t at his best at the end of the year, but with the season he had and what I’ve heard of James, I find it hard to believe that he’s an upgrade from Bone for next year.

I know most of you probably woke up this morning and wondered to yourself "Self, I wonder who my internet friend holeintheroof thinks will be in this recruiting class?"

Well, gather 'round baby birds because it's feedin time...... Here's who I think there's greater than 75% chance (that'd be written as >75, @bignewt) these currently uncommitted guys commit to the Vols:

offense:
WR Thaiu Jones-Bell
WR Kris Abrams-Draine
WR Ze'Vian Capers
OL Cooper Mays
OL Chris Morris
OL Richie Leonard

defense:
CB Keyshawn Lawrence
DE Tyler Baron
DL Trevonn Rybka
DL Jaquelin Roy
OLB Deontae Craig

I think we ultimately will sign around 3-4 guys who aren't even on our radar yet. Maybe guys that come to camp this summer that the staff decides they like. Or guys from senior film evaluations earn offers etc. We've done this the past two cycles with Garland, Davis, and Tillman for example in '18, and Means/Solomon last year.

Jay Hardy seems like a shoo-in, with the location and legacy, but I can't decide if he's just enjoying the process or wants to get away. Gut just doesn't tell either way. If I'm being honest, and I know this might sound ridiculous... but with continued offers going out to guys including the Mims kid yesterday, as well as how Jacob Colwan in NC likes us.... I could see the staff kind of putting pressure on some of these guys (like Hardy) to get in if you want in.

When deciding DL numbers, I'm wondering how many we take. Got to remember we have Jordan Davis and Dominic Bailey already committed. I know Davis doesn't talk to the media too much, but I wonder what Baileys plans are - as far as visits over the summer. Does he peer recruit? I think I follow him on twitter but theres never much activity I don't think.

I know most of you probably woke up this morning and wondered to yourself "Self, I wonder who my internet friend holeintheroof thinks will be in this recruiting class?"

Well, gather 'round baby birds because it's feedin time...... Here's who I think there's greater than 75% chance (that'd be written as >75, @bignewt) these currently uncommitted guys commit to the Vols:

offense:
WR Thaiu Jones-Bell
WR Kris Abrams-Draine
WR Ze'Vian Capers
OL Cooper Mays
OL Chris Morris
OL Richie Leonard

defense:
CB Keyshawn Lawrence
DE Tyler Baron
DL Trevonn Rybka
DL Jaquelin Roy
OLB Deontae Craig

I think we ultimately will sign around 3-4 guys who aren't even on our radar yet. Maybe guys that come to camp this summer that the staff decides they like. Or guys from senior film evaluations earn offers etc. We've done this the past two cycles with Garland, Davis, and Tillman for example in '18, and Means/Solomon last year.

Jay Hardy seems like a shoo-in, with the location and legacy, but I can't decide if he's just enjoying the process or wants to get away. Gut just doesn't tell either way. If I'm being honest, and I know this might sound ridiculous... but with continued offers going out to guys including the Mims kid yesterday, as well as how Jacob Colwan in NC likes us.... I could see the staff kind of putting pressure on some of these guys (like Hardy) to get in if you want in.

When deciding DL numbers, I'm wondering how many we take. Got to remember we have Jordan Davis and Dominic Bailey already committed. I know Davis doesn't talk to the media too much, but I wonder what Baileys plans are - as far as visits over the summer. Does he peer recruit? I think I follow him on twitter but theres never much activity I don't think.

less>care

did I do that right?

From the Athletic (keeping an eye on the enemy).. An interview with Florida AD Stricklin

Has the athletic department conducted an internal inquiry regarding whether or not Chris Steele requested a room change because he felt uncomfortable living with Jalon Jones? To your knowledge, did he make such a request?

Out of fairness to the individuals involved, I’d rather not discuss specifics. However, providing what we call a “championship experience with integrity” is our utmost priority. And it continues to be our utmost priority.

I can say that what is being reported is an incomplete account of the circumstances as I understand them.

:confused: I wonder what else went wrong.

SIAP

https://www.knoxnews.com/sports/govolsxtra/
Tennessee drew a couple of fans from Huntington, W. Va., to its spring football game last month. One of them will be back to stay in June. UT fans should be excited about his return.

Darnell Wright of Huntington, W. Va., was one of UT’s most acclaimed recruits in the 2019 signing class. By the end of the spring game, he was having second thoughts about not enrolling early, as another sought-after offensive tackle did. Five-star signee Wanya Morris already is running with Tennessee's first unit. If Wright had enrolled in January, he might have been in the same position. The spring game made an impression on him, said his high school coach, Billy Seals, who accompanied Wright on the trip to Knoxville.

“He told me he wished he had early enrolled,” said Seals, who grew up in Morristown and later coached at Morristown East.

Wright might not have trouble catching up. Like Morris, he was one of Tennessee’s top recruits. Moreover, he plays a position of need. In fact, offensive tackle might be UT’s weakest position. Or at least it was weak before the Vols signed Morris and Wright. No one should be shocked if, by the end of the 2019 season, the Vols were starting two freshman offensive tackles. A fast start would be nothing new for Wright.“Even in the eighth grade, you could see he was going to be something special,” Seals said. By then, Wright was already 6-foot-3, 225 pounds. Now he’s 6-6, 327 pounds, Seals said.

Wright has added weight since his senior season at Huntington. Or, as Seals puts it, he has some “man muscles” on him. Size is hardly Wright’s only asset. He won the state championship in the shot put. He also excelled in Huntington’s basketball program, which won state championships in 2014, 2015 and 2017. Wright didn’t play basketball as a senior, but Seals still has a highlight memory of him. On one opponent’s possession, Wright blocked three shots. On the third block, he grabbed the ball and dribbled the length of the court for a dunk, Seals said.

Never mind Wright’s basketball prowess. He always has attracted more attention as a football player, even when he was an oversized youth league running back and tight end. At Huntington, he also played defense, which Seals believes he could play at the college level, too. As Wright kept growing, coaches realized he was best suited for offensive tackle. Seals raves about Wright's footwork, which was enhanced by playing basketball.

His talent wasn’t lost on West Virginia’s new coaching staff, which tried to keep him in state. New Mountaineers coach Neal Brown took his entire coaching staff to Huntington in pursuit of Wright. But West Virginia’s late push came up short. Its loss could be Tennessee’s gain. And the Vols might not have to wait beyond Wright’s freshman season to realize that.

From the Athletic (keeping an eye on the enemy).. An interview with Florida AD Stricklin

:confused: I wonder what else went wrong.
I wonder what he is insinuating is the complete account of the circumstances, and what he thinks this statement is going to make people start speculating about it that could end up as truth in some people's minds.

Reactions: chargervol
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back