Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dobbs has too much going for him in the league, at least that's how it seems to me. Pittsburgh fans liked him from preseason play, and IMO he could be like how Matt Schaub was backing up Vick back in the day-- kind of a best kept secret kind of thing. Bray is more AAF caliber, which isn't a knock on him, just the bar for starting in the NFL is so high, and he's perpetual third string. Bray would kiiiill it against these plebs.

There’s a lot of potential for Memphis to have a solid QB. Whether it’s Bray or Chad Kelly. Even Paxton Lynch against lesser competition would work. Riley Ferguson would be a possibility too. Any of those guys would be fits and likely better than what we saw with Hackenberg.

Reactions: ChismsHeadband
The schedule sets up 8 potential wins next year: four OOC wins and four lower-tier SEC wins (Mizzou, SCAR, Vandy and UK). In that scenario, we still lose to all of our rivals and both SECW teams, but we get four beatable SECE teams late in the season, with a chance to finish strong. That should put us at #3 in the SECE, which would be meaningful progress. Just getting to a bowl game isn't good enough, IMO. We should've made a bowl this year, so resetting expectations downward isn't the way to push forward.

The coaches are aggressive in their demands and expectations; fans should be, too. Our players will be older and better conditioned, with talented FR who can contribute. Given the schedule and our roster vs. other SECE teams, I think 8-4 is reasonable, with 7-5 as the floor.

What is Holly’s problem? And when is Phil gonna do something?

She's a better assistant than HC. Not an alpha and nothing's going to make her one. Phillip told donors a few weeks ago that he'd evaluate things after the season. It's clearly not a situation he's eager to deal with, especially not this year.

Even if Pons plays against Kentucky, it would be extremely limited minutes. I only see him getting more if 1-2 of our wings get in foul trouble. I expect our main 6 to get a lot of minutes Saturday night.

The schedule sets up 8 potential wins next year: four OOC wins and four lower-tier SEC wins (Mizzou, SCAR, Vandy and UK). In that scenario, we still lose to all of our rivals and both SECW teams, but we get four beatable SECE teams late in the season, with a chance to finish strong. That should put us at #3 in the SECE, which would be meaningful progress. Just getting to a bowl game isn't good enough, IMO. We should've made a bowl this year, so resetting expectations downward isn't the way to push forward.

The coaches are aggressive in their demands and expectations; fans should be, too. Our players will be older and better conditioned, with talented FR who can contribute. Given the schedule and our roster vs. other SECE teams, I think 8-4 is reasonable, with 7-5 as the floor.
We're gonna beat Miss St.

I'd take 7-5 today and be content. Our OL and DL are going to be iffy at best without Trey Smith and with an entirely brand new starting DL. 9 wins 2020

OK, then 9-3. The more, the merrier. But it's important to position ourselves right behind UGA and UF to compete for the division. Winning championships starts with winning the division.
I think USC and Miss State are winnable because they fall in Knoxville. The Mizzu game away will be tough.

Chaney is a great OC, but offense is still the longer install in most cases. Hope we aren’t too vanilla by the time we head to Gainesville. Call me crazy but I’m never counting that game as a loss. Especially this year with how much they lose a lot on the OL.
Agreed. Out of the "big 3" rivals, that UF away game is still our best shot at a W.

I think USC and Miss State are winnable because they fall in Knoxville. The Mizzu game away will be tough.

Mizzou lost a lot, including Lock, and may have transfers. They'll take a step back and we'll take a step forward, but it won't be a cakewalk. I think UK in Lexington will be tough, too, but the Vols need those SECE wins. Gotta get back to the Big 3 at the top of the division.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back