Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are few things I hate more than the term "natty"

I guess my Mt. Everest of nightmare sentences would be "The Kardashians ask for your thoughts and prayers as the Gators have just won the natty."
How many years do you think it will take Heup to win the natty?

So the big question is did we target and sign the right high star guys and did our staff out evaluate the other staffs and the services with our lower star selections. Obviously not a signing day analysis and projections either way are simply agenda based rhetoric, positive of negative. I can live with positive HOPE rather than negative HOPE to validate one's prognostications of class failure.

This last paragraph is the key to being a fan, IMO. You root for the guys you get and hope they form a great team.

Reactions: hooter vol
So the top 2 made the natty. Interesting how that works. You need blue-chip talent and an actual coach that can develop that talent
Not really the point of the conversation.

In a nutshell, does Saban get players because they are highly rated or is it more true that they are highly rated because Saban and other top programs pursue them? Which is more true: The recruiting sites would be "as accurate" if they didn't know who made a recruit a priority until after they ranked them or would Saban stop getting top talent if 247 stopped giving high rankings to his recruits?

BOT and others have the cart before the horse and place faith in what amounts to a marketing gimmick. The recruiting sites do not give 4/5* to all of the nation's best players. They INTENTIONALLY don't even try. They set purely arbitrary limits on how many "blue chips" they name. They are selling a product to college football fans who are starving for affirmation of their favorite team.

Here's an example. You have 10,000 ball bearings on a table. To make your product work, you have to divide them using only your senses and input from line workers about the finish, weight, diameter, roundness, etc. You are tasked with dividing them into 5*, 4*, 3*, and unacceptable. If it were a real mfg task then you would be judged by how truly accurate your evaluation was. However if you arbitrarily choose to ONLY give 5* to 30 bearings and 4* to a couple hundred... you can give the illusion of expertise that you really don't have. It is much easier to identify 230 4/5* quality bearings than the 500+ that are actually in the batch.

The recruiting sites are fairly accurate with those they rate highly though not as much as many seem to think based on the draft or team performance. But too many assume gloom and doom over these ratings and rankings. Every year the recruiting sites will miss more actual 4/5* talents than they give that status to.

Reactions: Orange_Crush
I think that is actually the point. the recruiting rankings are a good general rule of ranking how "good" a class is. But they don't take into account fit, or coaching, or heart, or injuries. So telling me that only 8 of the top 25 teams were ranked in the top 25 of the recruiting rankings doesn't mean the recruiting rankings were wrong. It doesn't take into account that some teams have tougher schedules than others. Some teams had their QB injured. Mullen was to loyal to bench Emory Jones, but Florida was still one of the top 25 most talented teams. Jimbo didn't count on Haynes King getting injured but they were still talented enough to beat Bama. Recruiting ranking tell "A" story, not the "whole" story of how good a team is, nor is it meant to.
None of it is the "whole" story. In court, it would be the accumulation of circumstantial evidence.

It is nice affirmation to get higher rated players but it does not come close to predicting success/failure for MOST programs.

Also, I think many ignore the impact of arbitrarily limiting the number of 4/5* ratings they hand out. That makes them appear MUCH more accurate than they are.

Reactions: miket4god
If any of you want to meet me at TYS at 10:30 this morning with a chocolate iced custard filled from Krispy Kreme, I’d be happy to knife fight you in the alley ❤️

This might be the sweetest thing ever written in the recruiting forum. You're a mensch, Nick.

In all seriousness, I'm so sorry for what you're going through right now. You and your family are loved and all of us are thinking about you and praying for you. Take today to share memories - you'll find your relatives and friends gathered are a treasure trove of stories about your grandmother. Some might surprise you, some might make you laugh, but all will help you hold her memory close.

It's not really funny tho the disparity. One NBA player could buy an entire team on league minimum. Women's Basketball needs a Pat Summitt. We somewhat equalized the sport here when she was alive and still do because support for the LVs is still very strong. Sell out crowds for women's games. And her personality was so strong that we all loved her and would've followed her to the gates of hell. An upstart sport needs that and the women's game is still in its upstart phase. It will never get there without some Pats but it does also need Britneys.

I mean right now when we look at the WNBA we're looking at an unfinished legacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back