Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm being pragmatic. I agree with you but it doesn't seem to be a matter of right/wrong, fair/unfair, or even success/failure. It is just a matter of what has historically happened when a coach doesn't win early.
As long as he wins a minimum of 7 regular season games for his first 4 years, he's safe. He won't be safe from fan ridicule, but that's going to happen regardless of what he does short of winning the SEC. Think about it. A year ago, most talk was about a 4-5 year rebuild to compete with the big 3. Now people want him to compete right now. Preseason publications are predicting that we finish second in the East, and most fans are saying a top 10 finish in recruiting isn't good enough. That means he has already set the bar pretty high after one season, whether it's realistic or not. We have gone from Heupel can't recruit because he had a top 20 class, to Heupel can't recruit because we've only landed one 5* by the beginning of July. Our coaches are doing a tremendous job in reality. Just sit back and enjoy the ride.

As long as he wins a minimum of 7 regular season games for his first 4 years, he's safe. He won't be safe from fan ridicule, but that's going to happen regardless of what he does short of winning the SEC. Think about it. A year ago, most talk was about a 4-5 year rebuild to compete with the big 3. Now people want him to compete right now. Preseason publications are predicting that we finish second in the East, and most fans are saying a top 10 finish in recruiting isn't good enough. That means he has already set the bar pretty high after one season, whether it's realistic or not. We have gone from Heupel can't recruit because he had a top 20 class, to Heupel can't recruit because we've only landed one 5* by the beginning of July. Our coaches are doing a tremendous job in reality. Just sit back and enjoy the ride.

If he's safe then that would be a strategic mistake for the future of the program. It comes down to support and especially recruiting. If he doesn't win more than that then recruiting will drop off. Keeping him more than 3 years with poor recruiting essentially assures the next guy will fail too.

I'm not predicting failure. I'm actually with you. I think 9 or at least 8 this fall just based on where things sit now.... so I don't think we get to these hypotheticals.

I don't assume last year's projections were realistic. Preseason projections rely much too heavily on the previous season in most cases. The 2021 projections were based on the assumption of what talent was left and that on how they performed in the Covid year under Pruitt.

I want him to beat the teams he should beat and win his share of the leaners (games that lean slightly one way or the other). I think that has to be the standard.

Not very worried about recruiting rankings if he's getting talent he can develop. I'm still concerned about recruiting. That's the biggest unknown with him.

You have to realize that many of the millionaires became wealthy for a reason... Donating to Spyre is not tax deductible, so a big donor with [not give there].....
This is the third time you've made this insinuation that Spyre donors are not good with their money and small donors, if they are to imitate smart money, shouldn't donate without a deduction. And every time you seem more proud of yourself.

I think you are costing us a huge number of donors, continually trotting yourself out here to repeat this.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
Probable conversation heard in the Cleveland Browns GM office:

GM: what do you think about Watson?

Assistant GM: Dunno… he’s got 23 sexual harassment lawsuits against him.

GM: Naw… it’ll be fine. Offer him a quarter billion, guaranteed

Assistant GM: what do you wanna do with Baker?

GM: Who?

Assistant GM: The QB. We picked him #1 overall a while ago.

GM: oh yeah… he’s still hanging around is he? Have him clean the stadium or something like he does in those commercials. I really don’t care.

A few weeks later….

Assistant GM: Man, things are looking bad with Watson. Who could have seen this coming? We could be in a bind at QB.

GM: Naw… it’ll be fine. Is Mayfarm done scraping gum from the seats? Bring him in here.

Assistant GM: Ummm…

GM: Mayberry, I’ve got good news. I’m shipping you to Carolina. I’m not letting you go cheap though. We are going to pay 2/3 of your salary to play there, and I demand a 4th round pick as compensation. I can probably get a decent lineman from Mississippi State with that pick. Shut the door please.
Do not forget
GM: Just in case Watson gets suspended we will go ahead and pay him the $44 million of his $45

If he's safe then that would be a strategic mistake for the future of the program. It comes down to support and especially recruiting. If he doesn't win more than that then recruiting will drop off. Keeping him more than 3 years with poor recruiting essentially assures the next guy will fail too.

I'm not predicting failure. I'm actually with you. I think 9 or at least 8 this fall just based on where things sit now.... so I don't think we get to these hypotheticals.

I don't assume last year's projections were realistic. Preseason projections rely much too heavily on the previous season in most cases. The 2021 projections were based on the assumption of what talent was left and that on how they performed in the Covid year under Pruitt.

I want him to beat the teams he should beat and win his share of the leaners (games that lean slightly one way or the other). I think that has to be the standard.

Not very worried about recruiting rankings if he's getting talent he can develop. I'm still concerned about recruiting. That's the biggest unknown with him.
This is why I mentioned contract earlier. He agreed to come take over a mess, with lots of uncertainty. A mess that nobody wanted to touch. They could buy him out after 3 years but they'd have to pay him the full amount for 6 years. That's the way the contract is structured. If the NCAA brings about any punishment at all from the Pruitt debacle, then they have to pay him for 7 years. Like I said, he's here for 5 years minimum regardless. So don't be expecting to go back to the drawing board after year 3. If he does win 9 this year, anticipate a contract extension.

Did Kiffin and Pittman walk into the exact same situations as Heupel? No they didn’t. And that’s the difference. Saying if a coach cannot win 10 in year 3-4 it will never happen is poor logic. Have we overhauled our roster with the portal? No.

Believe makes a valid point though. Ark was in a horrible state when Pittman got there, worse than when Heupel got to TN. Regardless, I think Heupel wins 9 +/- 1 this year.

Go VOLS!!!

Also, to keep the post relative to the thread. Ja'keem is not coming here but we'll be fine without him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back