Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that the NIL is the way going forward but how long will it be before your occasional or just average fan tunes out. When you start talking about money and endorsements people want results and if those results aren't there, when and how does the tide turn. If you are paying somebody you expect more in general.

Here is an ugly side no one has mentioned, how long before the crowd turns ugly when someone under performs and is getting paid. I've never booed a college kid, nor will I, but Pro's are different, they get paid and many fans will look at the ones getting paid as fair game and I'm not sure how that is going to play out in some of these kids homes when that happens and mama hears here 18 year old kid booed or worse by the masses. That's something I don't think many young people will handle well in this day and time.

Perspective: If someone told me 5 months ago we would be sitting here in June with the 4th ranked player in the nation -- who is the number 2 player at the most important position on the field -- and half our commitments would be 4 or 5 stars, I would be elated. I wasn't sure Heupel could recruit at an SEC level and it's clear he can hold his own, even in the new NIL paradigm.

We didn't get everybody we wanted but the curve is trending up and the story isn't finished on this class. Let's take a deep breath, enjoy our 5 star quarterback, and look forward to a great season. 9 or 10 wins could dramatically change the final result.

I know that the NIL is the way going forward but how long will it be before your occasional or just average fan tunes out. When you start talking about money and endorsements people want results and if those results aren't there, when and how does the tide turn. If you are paying somebody you expect more in general.

Here is an ugly side no one has mentioned, how long before the crowd turns ugly when someone under performs and is getting paid. I've never booed a college kid, nor will I, but Pro's are different, they get paid and many fans will look at the ones getting paid as fair game and I'm not sure how that is going to play out in some of these kids homes when that happens and mama hears here 18 year old kid booed or worse by the masses. That's something I don't think many young people will handle well in this day and time.

They can just transfer if they are unhappy.

College football is going to look exactly the same as it has for the last decade +. The same core group of teams who won before NIL are the same teams who will win during the NIL era. Bama, UGA, (add USC and remove OK), Clemson will win at a good rate, LSU will be tough as always, OSU, ND will win a bunch of games, etc etc.

Nothing changes for the “casual” fan. I consider myself much more than a casual fan but I don’t even pay attention to what kids get paid what. I don’t think as many people (outside of the fans who frequent boards like this) are paying attention or digging deep on NIL as you think.

Reactions: KptVFL and Devo182
I was talking with a Clemson fan here in St Thomas about NIL. The conclusion we came to is the net impact on recruiting will end up being almost zero. All of the big schools will eventually catchup (or have already) and the NIL playing field will level out. Players will have a 'market' value that most teams acknowledge. The end result? Players will choose the school based on the coaching staff, wins, and the ability to get them to the league. In other words, all the same criteria they used before NIL.

I think the only real long term change will be a few schools who rise above their current status because of strong (re: rich) alumni backing. I'm thinking Maryland, Oregon, etc...

Sooooo ... How do we get the best recruits? Win and send players to the NFL. Same as before.

Recruiting sans Tate had been pretty quiet. I see we picked up a running back but do we expect the pace to pick with higher rated guys? Anyone else on the radar we anticipate?

Recruiting sans Tate had been pretty quiet. I see we picked up a running back but do we expect the pace to pick with higher rated guys? Anyone else on the radar we anticipate?
There a 4* LB from Grayson, GA we are expected to be leader with. Announces July 10 I believe

Reactions: KB5252
They can just transfer if they are unhappy.

College football is going to look exactly the same as it has for the last decade +. The same core group of teams who won before NIL are the same teams who will win during the NIL era. Bama, UGA, (add USC and remove OK), Clemson will win at a good rate, LSU will be tough as always, OSU, ND will win a bunch of games, etc etc.

Nothing changes for the “casual” fan. I consider myself much more than a casual fan but I don’t even pay attention to what kids get paid what. I don’t think as many people (outside of the fans who frequent boards like this) are paying attention or digging deep on NIL as you think.
One thing changes for the "casual" fan. They no longer view the players the same way....at least I don't. They're paid and can leave any time. Pretty much the same thing happened to my love of the NFL when free agency was introduced. I stopped being a fan of particular players. They were almost certain to leave my team so I didn't really see them the same way anymore. Not a perfect example, but it's like comparing Grant and Chandler. Grant was a guy I watched grow into an incredible Vol. Chandler was gone before anyone could really bat an eye. Not saying he wasn't a talented player, but there never was time for an attachment. Same for Keon and Springer. Don't really pay their careers much attention. Certainly not to the degree I do with Grant. The "relationship" just isn't there for me. Certainly won't be that way for every case/player who signs, but the landscape is just different and doesn't have the same flavor if you will. Yeah, this is some bad get off my lawn stuff, but I don't think I'm alone on this one.

One thing changes for the "casual" fan. They no longer view the players the same way....at least I don't. They're paid and can leave any time. Pretty much the same thing happened to my love of the NFL when free agency was introduced. I stopped being a fan of particular players. They were almost certain to leave my team so I didn't really see them the same way anymore. Not a perfect example, but it's like comparing Grant and Chandler. Grant was a guy I watched grow into an incredible Vol. Chandler was gone before anyone could really bat an eye. Not saying he wasn't a talented player, but there never was time for an attachment. Same for Keon and Springer. Don't really pay their careers much attention. Certainly not to the degree I do with Grant. The "relationship" just isn't there for me. Certainly won't be that way for every case/player who signs, but the landscape is just different and doesn't have the same flavor if you will. Yeah, this is some bad get off my lawn stuff, but I don't think I'm alone on this one.

They could always leave at any time. Just now, they get 1 free transfer without having to sit out a year.

Perspective: If someone told me 5 months ago we would be sitting here in June with the 4th ranked player in the nation -- who is the number 2 player at the most important position on the field -- and half our commitments would be 4 or 5 stars, I would be elated. I wasn't sure Heupel could recruit at an SEC level and it's clear he can hold his own, even in the new NIL paradigm.

We didn't get everybody we wanted but the curve is trending up and the story isn't finished on this class. Let's take a deep breath, enjoy our 5 star quarterback, and look forward to a great season. 9 or 10 wins could dramatically change the final result.

I think the disappointment may come from us having too much faith in our 5 star QB to bring in other highly ranked guys. That just hasn’t happened.

Soooo 6-8 months until everyone is on board with the Saban plan to reign in NIL deals.

No reason to reign it in unless you just don’t like kids being paid.

Now that everyone is caught up, the same schools who always get the cruits will continue to get the cruits, with it without NIL

Tennessee businesses need to do a better job of endorsing these players. Alonta was sponsored by a MFn cookie shop. These kids want cars not cookies

I currently have a car. I do not currently have a cookie. Depends what they want at the time.

Dang it! Now I want cookies but have to use absurdly expensive gas in my stupid car to go get them.

I currently have a car. I do not currently have a cookie. Depends what they want at the time.

Dang it! Now I want cookies but have to use absurdly expensive gas in my stupid car to go get them.
couldnt you just use one of the 9,000,000 apps designed to enable laziness?

Ooof. I’m sure Bitcoin will rebound eventually if they hold it long enough, but damn, Trevor Lawrence bitcoin investment has lost 15M 🫢

I wonder if he held all of that or sold some. If he took his entire salary in bitcoin, I assume he had to sell some to pay his income tax and living expenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back