Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where is everyone getting the idea that Lawson is likely going to the draft? I love the kid but another year with less strikeouts and improved fielding and he could propel up draft boards next year. Dude has serious pop for a shortstop.
Baseball is not like football….. he will be drafted…. See what the team offers as a bonus and make a decision on whether to come back or not….. A lot of players leave junior year bc they have the option to come back sometimes they over slotted.

Agree if Milton sees the field like last year were in trouble.This kid has played a few years now im not sure why ppl think one summer with Heupel has turned him into Mike Vick now.Hey look if the kid has to play I'll gladly support him and hope he does his best but me personally I hope he never sees the field.Jackson supposedly has looked good so if something happens we know what Milton is play Jackson please.

My bad didn't mean to turn this into another Milton vs the world debate

Thinking Milton cannot improve is foolish

Potentially gone either graduated or draft
Graduates: Evan Russell, Luc Lipcius, Redmond Walsh
Seniors: Trey Lipscomb, Camden Sewell, Ethan Smith, Christian Scott
R-Juniors: Ben Joyce, Seth Halvorsen
Juniors: Drew Gilbert, Seth Stephenson, Logan Steenstra, Cortland Lawson, Logan Chambers, Jordan Beck, Ethan Payne, Mark McLaughlin, Kirby Connell, Will Mabrey
R-Sophomore: Jorel Ortega

Returning unless transferring (except Blade)
Sophomores: Chase Dollander, Kyle Booker, Blade Tidwell, Hollis Fanning, Jake Fitzgibbons, Zander Sechrist
R-Freshmen: Ryan Miller, Charlie Taylor, Jared Dickey, Hunter Ensley, Drew Patterson, Austen Jaslove
Freshmen: Christian Moore, Gavin Brasosky, Chase Burns, Blake Burke, Wyatt Evans, Grant Cherry, JD McCracken, Drew Beam, Nathan Smith, Kavares Tears, Kaleb Meredith, Andrew Kribbs

Orange are the names of guys I for sure see leaving and being drafted. We return a lot of arm talent in Dollander, Burns, Beam so I think pitching will be solid still next season, especially if Kirby and Mabrey both come back too. Losing a lot in the infield, hopefully Cortland and Ortega are back otherwise we'll lose everyone in the infield.

We have guys that can step into the infield roles, the only downside is the lack of experience. Burke will probably take over at first. We have the transfer SS coming in. Christian Moore could fill an INF spot. I wonder if Dickey will stick to OF or switch to catcher like ER did? I would guess Steenstra comes back in hopes of more playing time, kind of like what some of this year's players did. And I doubt TV is done working that transfer portal. I think there's a good chance we'll still have good bats next year. Bench bats may be a problem, but those could easily develop over the summer.

I'll miss all the guys who move on, but I think we'll be very good again next year. It's really about just gelling together like this year's team did. And I think that's just a byproduct of TV's coaching style.

We just need to keep Glitch away from TV.

We have the Kansas transfer coming in at SS, but great summary, thank you.

Yeah I didn't mention incoming HS or transfer guys.

Just the on roster today folks. TV is recruiting well and we landed arguably the best transfer infielder too. I trust next year's team will be very good and likely a 40 wins + team again.

I mean Notre Dame got to face us with 2.5 games of no pitching coach. I still think it is a huge benefit to them how many less games they played on the season, I'd be fine if the Irish won it all at this point. Pulling for all the SEC teams to go down.

We have guys that can step into the infield roles, the only downside is the lack of experience. Burke will probably take over at first. We have the transfer SS coming in. Christian Moore could fill an INF spot. I wonder if Dickey will stick to OF or switch to catcher like ER did? I would guess Steenstra comes back in hopes of more playing time, kind of like what some of this year's players did. And I doubt TV is done working that transfer portal. I think there's a good chance we'll still have good bats next year. Bench bats may be a problem, but those could easily develop over the summer.

I'll miss all the guys who move on, but I think we'll be very good again next year. It's really about just gelling together like this year's team did. And I think that's just a byproduct of TV's coaching style.

TV over recruits every year and cuts the dead weight within the program. I bet we have more than a few players that will take a huge step forward next season….. Remember Lipscomb and Ortega only had a combined 4 homeruns before this season.

Looks like fescue to me. Watering it religiously (without overwatering) is probably the only way to save it at this point, but that may be a fools errand. If you can find some way to argue the contractor who installed it caused it to die then they will replace it. Try to have them replace it this fall when it cools off. Then it can get roots established over the fall, winter, and spring and may not completely die off next summer.

Or, if you don't care what kind of lawn you have, you can overseed with bermuda and water daily until it establishes. Bermuda is extremely hardy to hot weather and you do virtually nothing but mow it. Practically impossible to kill. Fescue probably looks nicer, takes more work, have to reseed it every so often, will stay green in fall and earlier in spring. Thicker, taller stand than bermuda.

Lawns are stupid money pits. Reject modernity. Kill it all and make your whole yard gardens, trees, and wildflowers lol.

Dang. Builder already said they won’t replace it. “It just needs some water” were their words. They did replace 4 dead bushes and a dead tree… so obviously they weren’t watering the week or so before we moved in like they should have been.

I’ve got a landscaper that’s going to build us a retaining wall in a few months, so I’ll see if it looks better in a month and if not I’ll ask him if he thinks I should switch to Bermuda or just replace the sod. He’s already going to have to replace the sod in a few spots that he will disturb the grass by building the wall, so maybe just replace it all.

Thanks for the help!

Yeah I didn't mention incoming HS or transfer guys.

Just the on roster today folks. TV is recruiting well and we landed arguably the best transfer infielder too. I trust next year's team will be very good and likely a 40 wins + team again.

I mean Notre Dame got to face us with 2.5 games of no pitching coach. I still think it is a huge benefit to them how many less games they played on the season, I'd be fine if the Irish won it all at this point. Pulling for all the SEC teams to go down.
I think we're in it for that kid from NC State as well.

We will be back in the same position for a shot at CWS next year. Just maybe we can avoid the number 1 seed curse. Annoying how Arky fans talking smack when their team did same exact thing last year.

Maui/Burke/Moore/Dickey/Stephenson/Lawson will be the core in the lineup outside of who else we might add in portal. If you add Skrene that is an upgrade at catcher. I assume Lawson moves to 2nd unless Ortega returns. I think Ortega strikes while iron is hot if he is drafted in good spot. I would love to add Tommy Tanks bat to the lineup. If you did then you replace your 3/4/5 hole hitters almost seamlessly with Maui/Tanks/Skrene. I’m sure more players will hit portal that want to come here. We need a power arm to add to bullpen.

Dang. Builder already said they won’t replace it. “It just needs some water” were their words. They did replace 4 dead bushes and a dead tree… so obviously they weren’t watering the week or so before we moved in like they should have been.

I’ve got a landscaper that’s going to build us a retaining wall in a few months, so I’ll see if it looks better in a month and if not I’ll ask him if he thinks I should switch to Bermuda or just replace the sod. He’s already going to have to replace the sod in a few spots that he will disturb the grass by building the wall, so maybe just replace it all.

Thanks for the help!

With grass just remember there is a difference between dormant and dead. If you have a cool season grass for example it'll actually brown (go dormant) in the hotter months and be greener longer in cooler temperature months. If you have a warm season grass it'll thrive in summer and go dormant in cool weather.

Not sure what kind of Fescue you have, but if it's tall then it'll need more watering until late September when things cool off again to keep it green. If you don't have a lot of shade for the lawn I think Bermuda is probably the choice for reseeding, since it's a warm season grass. But either way probably be best to do any grass seeding in Fall and/or Spring regardless. Not much you'd put out in the heat of summer is going to really get setup and take root well.

Anyone else notice how all season Gilbert had an approach at the plate to where his goal was to get on base and drive in runs with base hits then starting with the either the last season series or maybe it was in sec tourney he got a taste of the feeling of the home run ball again and changed his approach. He starting swinging for the fence every at bat leading to several cheap pop fly outs

Anyone else notice how all season Gilbert had an approach at the plate to where his goal was to get on base and drive in runs with base hits then starting with the either the last season series or maybe it was in sec tourney he got a taste of the feeling of the home run ball again and changed his approach. He starting swinging for the fence every at bat leading to several cheap pop fly outs

Actually noticed this with most of the team....felt like Trey was the only one I saw consistently just trying to get good hits. Beck, Luc, and Drew for sure seemed to be swinging for the dong more starting about the SEC Tournament.

Which against Campbell and GA Tech it helped, cause they don't have good pitching....against ND though and their great pitching it hurt us when they weren't connecting. Still Notre Dame scoring 8 & 7 against us in 2 games was not expected at all. Their offense was the biggest surprise of the series. Expected them to be in that 3-5 run range and us to need 6 or more to win.

Actually noticed this with most of the team....felt like Trey was the only one I saw consistently just trying to get good hits. Beck, Luc, and Drew for sure seemed to be swinging for the dong more starting about the SEC Tournament.

Which against Campbell and GA Tech it helped, cause they don't have good pitching....against ND though and their great pitching it hurt us when they weren't connecting. Still Notre Dame scoring 8 & 7 against us in 2 games was not expected at all. Their offense was the biggest surprise of the series. Expected them to be in that 3-5 run range and us to need 6 or more to win.
I also felt we had some bad approaches, especially Beck. I loved jumping on the first pitch myself, but if a pitcher is struggling then you have to make him pitch. I felt Beck didn’t do this at all causing him to get down and behind early in count.

Reactions: MoCo_Vol
I also felt we had some bad approaches, especially Beck. I loved jumping on the first pitch myself, but if a pitcher is struggling then you have to make him pitch. I felt Beck didn’t do this at all causing him to get down and behind early in count.

He also tries to pull outside pitches instead of going the other way. The few times he went the other way he smashed it.

Where is everyone getting the idea that Lawson is likely going to the draft? I love the kid but another year with less strikeouts and improved fielding and he could propel up draft boards next year. Dude has serious pop for a shortstop.
I can see Ortega going. I think that's why the SS is transferring in. There should be a spot open for him. If not I feel comfortable that he'll beatout Lawson

Reactions: VOLSONLY
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back