Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
By whom exactly. And I'm not trying to be combative here, but the NCAA has basically thrown their hands up in regards to all of it.

What governing body, under what authority is going to put any type of rules or restrictions in place?

We can bemoan the amount of money ATM just spent to become the highest rated class ever, but truth be told we're upset because it wasn't Tennessee instead.

I think UT has done an awesome job subverting the PWO rules a little, and the NIL stuff does seem to be a benefit both short and long term in the arrangement through Spyre. But without some agreement of the conferences to appoint a CFB commissioner with the power to do so, I'm not sure what would should expect going forward in terms of governance.

I think there's a percentage of the fan base that thinks someone is going to come along and 'fix' this mess, but I'm not seeing that happen any time soon IMO.

Curious to additional thoughts on the matter though, as I find it intriguing to say the least.
The NCAA has washed their hands with NIL and they're lobbying congress to step in and define the rules. That ain't happening anytime soon with all their problems.

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
273003878_351600903635228_5830817703087010423_n.jpg

1930s NIL

Why is the scholarship limit a thing now if payments can be made?

“Hey 4* safety. Come be a PWO with us and we will pay you $150,000/year and this off campus apartment complex will let you live for free for doing a couple social media posts a month. You just have to pay your own tuition.”
1) Are there 4* PWOs?

2) Same kid could prob snag a scholarship, not have the stigma of being a walkon (no baller wants to be considered just a walkon), plus NiL elsewhere

Even IF both were true, don't see many boosters ponying up such a premium and outpaying the market at such a rate for long

If they're making that much then they should pay their tuition. It definitely looks like that's what Tennessee did this NSD
Scholarship players? Why? And should Youtube stars be void of academic scholarships?

Or just anyone whose family makes x amount can't get academic or athletic scholarships?

Why do we suddenly need to start singling them out and punishing these young successful people when we never did before? And never a word when amateur coaches of public universities made $10mm. Strange timing to start punishing folks.

I don't see the legal issue. As long as he didn't fire the coach for having a bad record in the year he asked him to tank, there's nothing illegal about it. If anything, it further validates the firing that you gave him some first overall picks and in subsequent years he still couldn't win.

However, it is a horrible look for him and the NFL if tanking is officially documented.
With all the money wagered on NFL games, you really think there's nothing illegal about it?

Reactions: VOLSONLY
By whom exactly. And I'm not trying to be combative here, but the NCAA has basically thrown their hands up in regards to all of it.

What governing body, under what authority is going to put any type of rules or restrictions in place?

We can bemoan the amount of money ATM just spent to become the highest rated class ever, but truth be told we're upset because it wasn't Tennessee instead.

I think UT has done an awesome job subverting the PWO rules a little, and the NIL stuff does seem to be a benefit both short and long term in the arrangement through Spyre. But without some agreement of the conferences to appoint a CFB commissioner with the power to do so, I'm not sure what would should expect going forward in terms of governance.

I think there's a percentage of the fan base that thinks someone is going to come along and 'fix' this mess, but I'm not seeing that happen any time soon IMO.

Curious to additional thoughts on the matter though, as I find it intriguing to say the least.

You bring up legit questions...who can regulate how much someone can earn on their own time?

I'd almost think you'd have to make them employees and then enforce some sort of anti-moonlighting type of contractual language.

That said, the NCAA/Emmert HAS pointed toward the possibility that divisions or conferences could have that type of power (restricting NiL). I have no idea how/why, but they have hinted at that.

Scholarship players? Why? And should Youtube stars be void of academic scholarships?

Or just anyone whose family makes x amount can't get academic or athletic scholarships?

Why do we suddenly need to start singling them out and punishing these young successful people when we never did before? And never a word when amateur coaches of public universities made $10mm. Strange timing to start punishing folks.
This 🦬💩 makes me want to puke...do you give a single 💩 about competitive fairness?

Reactions: bullet20
Until/unless NIL rules change, I doubt you'll see us going toe-to-toe with the big money programs in recruiting. And this isn't a knock on our NIL programs, I just think some programs are on a whole other level when it comes to paying/buying players. But we can still compete on the field with good coaching.
Not convinced. If we can finish top 20 with EVERYTHING against us...

Now give it a year and let's go win 8 or 9 over the next 2 years and show we're stable and winning...

Now give into the idea we're top 1/3 in the SEC in the NiL...though not tops. That could still be enough to land a couple top 10 classes in the next 3 years. Now hand THAT talent to Heupel...I think we can swing it. Jmo.

Winning, culture, relationships still matter and NiL should only help us - barring maybe 3-4 programs that can just outspend us, that's not many!

This 🦬💩 makes me want to puke...do you give a single 💩 about competitive fairness?
Of course. I'm literally talking competitive balance on here everyday. I'm talking what's legal. SCOTUS laid it down, it is what it is for now.

But suddenly forcing these kids (of all kids) to pay scholarship on their own has nothing to do with competitive balance. It just feels like singling out and punishing THESE kids out of everyone. That's what's garbage.

Until/unless NIL rules change, I doubt you'll see us going toe-to-toe with the big money programs in recruiting. And this isn't a knock on our NIL programs, I just think some programs are on a whole other level when it comes to paying/buying players. But we can still compete on the field with good coaching.
I agree...I will always be a Vol no matter what, but we will always be outgunned by a hefty margin from here on out imo...unless something is done to make things more fair...which guys like Devo are bound and determined should never happen.

I agree...I will always be a Vol no matter what, but we will always be outgunned by a hefty margin from here on out imo...unless something is done to make things more fair...which guys like Devo are bound and determined should never happen.
haven't we been outgunned by a hefty margin for the past 15 or so years anyway?

From an article in the Chattanooga Times Free Press:

After speaking with Coach Rankin earlier, he said, "Make it clear, I'm resigning at Alcoa, not retiring from coaching. Wherever I coach again it'll be somewhere close to the Chattanooga area because I have family around there.
“I have one son and a grandbaby living in Chattanooga and another who's in Murfreesboro, so my wife and I would love to go be somewhere closer to both of them."

Texas money is just madness. No other program will ever compete with Texas teams for NIL. Those people will spend millions and still suck on the field and they’ll still pony up

If they keep getting that talent, they'll start winning titles. You can pretty much bet on it.

Imagine an SEC dominated by the Texas Longhorns, after years of SEC fans laughing at them...

yuck

Reactions: Big Orange#1
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back