Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope didnt say that at all. Theres just no need to tell me to go be a fan of another team because I dont agree with the direction the program has taken.
And I think this way sucks because weve seen what happens with it, ND is the ceiling doing it this way.
ND is in the middle of nowhere northern Indiana. They're 10x further from the pools of elite talent.

We are much more like a Clemson or even Bama in terms of distance to the major talent (Ga/Fl).

I wouldn't say that's the peak. I also highly doubt we're trying to become an ND or Vandy. At best, maybe a top half B1G academics and Mich/psu/osu seem to be doing just fine...and still are much further from the talent pool.

And the upside is if they ever miraculously turn UT degrees into gold...then we all profit lol

UT is a school that can win, though they haven't made it the easiest place to win at the highest level. I think some of our programs are closer than others-- and that opinion correlates to the HC.

Not being critical, but just curious if you could expound on this a bit.

What has UT done in the past to "not make it the easiest place to win at the highest level" and, subsequently, what are they doing now that will help in that regard?

And btw thanks for what you bring to the board, even if it isn't what many of us want to necessarily hear.

A stud QB can get us over the top from “stable program” to “championship contender”. Watson did it for Dabo. Look at Hooker in this offense. He lit up the scoreboard and was a top 10 QB statistically. But…how many missed throws were there throughout the year? Plenty. If Heupel finds him a legit 1st round QB, we will be tough. Let’s hope he can find that guy.
Dabo also had Venables. That is a bigly overlooked factor of his success. Show me a top 5 DC at our doorstep and I'd agree we're just a QB away.

Looking at how we handled "situational football" on defense last year, it feels like we have a long ways to go in that department. Hopefully Banks can grow and be mentored by some of the vets on this staff and grow by leaps and bounds in that regard.

And inb4 someone says it's just the players...just how good were we on 1st and 2nd down? Play for play? TFLs? I'd say the defense was quite good in those regards. The only times we stunk is when it came to situational football...and that's quite on bit coaching and playcalling. Players will no doubt help, but this (3rd downs/red zone) is more of a systemic issue than just players imo.

The more we win, the more people will want to win. Winning is fun. Right now, a lot of people want to stop not-fun. Next step: fun. This board is a microcosm of fan opinion.
It is and it isn't. I don't think the huge majority of fans use message boards or post on them. The majority don't have as much care for the program as us message board posters. Most don't know anything beyond what happens on Saturdays.

You guys are misinterpreting some of what LA is saying. The administration does not want to be mediocre. However, they want to first stabilize the volatility that has occurred over the last 15 years. To do that, they bring in coaches that are solid developers and good people. In turn, they are looking for a type of student athlete that is athletic but also with a good head on their shoulders who put forth the effort.

Josh Heupel is what the doctor ordered. I guarantee you that he wants to win. If you want to turn things around, you have to be exciting and give yourself a chance in games that have previously been blowouts. That’s what he’s done so far. If he gets his teams to play like last year, we will break through with a win against our top 3 rivals. It’s inevitable because he can scheme it up and score points.

Football, women’s basketball, women’s soccer, men’s golf, tennis, women’s volleyball are all on the upswing. I don’t think it’s a coincidence. While people will point to yesterday, men’s basketball and softball are on solid footing, too.

CJH is exactly what I ordered! 🤠

Okay, confession time:

Who ordered kiffin?
Dooley?
Butch?
Pruitt?

Fess up 😳

But the portal numbers don't pan out. Since its inception. over half of the players haven't found another home. That's a bunch of scholarships lost and I'm sure a burden on their families.

Hard life lesson. Grass may look greener on the other side of the portal, but if you work harder maybe you can get the grass much greener where you are. The old fashioned way.

I think that the portal symbolizes a problem with society now. Don’t work to make your situation better, quit and hope someone will give you “what you deserve “ with no real effort on your part.

Makes me sad. 😐

The challenges this program faces over the next 5 to 10 years are significant. It will be a tough row to hoe, it would be impossible if we don't lay a solid foundation. That is what we're doing now, building the foundation.

Can't worry about making it pretty until it's solid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back