Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was really hoping Tennessee would be able to pony up enough money to reach somewhere close to Bama and UGA but unfortunately the past 10+ years of disappointment has taken more of a toll than I expected. If we’re able to build momentum and have a couple 8+ win seasons in a row, I think the money will start flowing in Knoxville.
Maybe but I really don't think TN wants to entertain players making that kind of money. I think they're threatened by it. They don't want the boosters to have that much power and I think they are frightened that donor dollars could go to the players instead of their coffers.

A&M was rumored to have secured $25-$30M in NIL money on one class. Just think if that money was money that would have gone to the AD.

Tennessee is and will always be reactionary. They're fully prepared to sit back and let the big boys figure this out. If it the current trend continues they'll have a choice to make whether to play ball or sit back and watch from afar.

Last edited:
He is nowhere near Saban. UT, UF and Auburn have all sucked, but they all three have the potential to give Kirby fits. Hopefully we get there first.
We are at least two to three years of solid recruiting away from competing with them. It's the sad reality of incompetent leadership the last decade plus. We don't have the horses to compete with them 9 out of 10 times.

I agree on the QB but I don’t see our lines being up to snuff with those two teams. We would have to recruit those level of players and there are other teams who already grab the limited few elite prospects at the top as well. Those players are just built differently. They are massive and fast and athletic. Our players look like rugrats compared to them.
I was referring to all levels on the defensive side. I think Heupel’s offense can work with good OLines without necessarily having the Top OLine in the country. We just haven’t had good consistent OLine play in a long time.

Reactions: VolMike16
Right now offensive coordinators all across football are scratching their heads over Bama's play calling on that last drive. Why did they feel the need to throw those long passes with time on the clock and all 3 time outs??? Just doesn't make sense.
Doubt that was what they really wanted.
Same as when UT plays, some always assume every questionable play was called.
What they wanted might not of been there and Young probably made a bad decision to go for broke.

Maybe but I really don't think TN wants to entertain players making that kind of money. I think they're threatened by it. They don't wantbthe boosters to have that much power and I think they are frightened that donor dollars could go to the players instead of their coffers.

A&M was rumored to have secured $25-$30M in NIL money on one class. Just think if that money was money that would have gone to the AD.

Tennessee is and will always be reactionary. They're fully prepared to sit back and let the big boys figure this out. If it the current trend continues they'll have a choice to make whether to play ball or sit back and watch from afar.

Another issue is I’m not sure how many deep pocket donors are in this fan base compared the likes of A&M and UGA.

Reactions: InVOLuntary
Maybe but I really don't think TN wants to entertain players making that kind of money. I think they're threatened by it. They don't wantbthe boosters to have that much power and I think they are frightened that donor dollars could go to the players instead of their coffers.

We deep down know we won’t pony up to year in and year our recruit with these schools it’s not “the right way”. We’ve heard this song and dance for 20 years. We don’t have the mentality to compete with these teams in the shady business and guess what? We won’t win championships because of it. UGA v Bama part 3 next year! Yay!

Kirby and Nick are excellent coaches, but none of their success happens without talented players. Tennessee’s success was built on the same principle. We NEED players, which is why I wasn’t happy when we didn’t real in Jared Verse. Other players will come available, but it seems like we need them all. Like.. yesterday.
Yeah I totally agree… It’s just depressing watching two rivals absolutely dominate recruiting while apparently we’re sitting with our hands tied behind our backs on the NIL stuff. Can’t blame that on Heupel but he needs the support to get the elite talent

Reactions: lilesrt
They really put South Carolina on there? Just goes to show you that when they key in on one player (Rattler) they sell all the way out to make them look good and try to not make themselves look stupid.
They loved Shane Beamer before Rattler went there, for whatever reason. Now it's over the top

Also I am absolutely taking the under on the Michigan state win total

I was referring to all levels on the defensive side. I think Heupel’s offense can work with good OLines without necessarily having the Top OLine in the country. We just haven’t had good consistent OLine play in a long time.
Watching us vs UGA and Bama. 2 things were clear. Heupel can scheme us points against any defense, we just have to execute. The other was that we just don’t have the horses, especially on defense and depth on the OLine.

Kirby and Nick are excellent coaches, but none of their success happens without talented players. Tennessee’s success was built on the same principle. We NEED players, which is why I wasn’t happy when we didn’t real in Jared Verse. Other players will come available, but it seems like we need them all. Like.. yesterday.
Agreed. When Nick first got to Bama he didn’t have the players but it didn’t take long for him to get them because he could sell his vision and had a recent championship before he got there. He built the model and had School, AD and Booster support. All those factors are why they had/have the greatest dynasty in CFB.

No matter what the media tells you about how we are “prepared to spend” just remember LSU told the NCAA to kick rocks to keep Will Wade and we nuked our entire program to save 12 million dollars and not pay Pruitt. Thankful he’s not our coach anymore but the money part still holds true.

Watching us vs UGA and Bama. 2 things were clear. Heupel can scheme us points against any defense, we just have to execute. The other was that we just don’t have the horses, especially on defense and depth on the OLine.
And those things take years to fix. Hopefully we continue down that path.

Some on here will still tell you that if you take his top 2 receivers away and have the Defense in his face every play that he should still look like the Hiesman winner.

I’m not one of them by the way

Yeah... He should... It's the Heisman. You win the Heisman for being the greatest even when the chips are down. Greatness stills rears its head. He showed signs of quitting long before the game ended.

So he didn't have his top two receivers most of the game... Still had better receivers, linemen, and RBs than most every other team in college football. Not even mentioning the best coach in the history of football on the sideline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back