Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
After much thought on this, I think this analysis of Pruitts curious career is spot on. It 100% explains his great successes and absolute failures.

I think therefore that a team with good talent and good position coaches might do well to give him a call if no one else is available.
I swear, this is the last ill say...

Saban not only called Pruitt to come and coach for him once, but twice...the second time to be his DC. Mark Richt made that call, and Jimbo Fisher made that call, as well. Whether it was with good players, bad players, built or not built, those three men thought enough of Jeremy Pruitt to hire him to lead their defenses. Between those three men, they have (I believe) 12 National Championships, 16 Conference Championships, and 556 wins. So, whenever anyone is arguing with me about whether or not Jeremy Pruitt is a good DC or not, they're really arguing AGAINST all that.

I would ABSOLUTELY LOVE to see the look on Nick Saban's face if @InVOLuntary or anyone else could argue this point with him. "Nick, you sure you want to make that hire? If you look at the talent levels, and what the D was the year before, I believe you'll see what I see from the sofa." 😂🤣😂🤣

Give me a break, man.

How this argument is taken seriously is beyond me. "He can't win because he can't coach, with all those 5 stars." "The reason he wins is because of all those 5 stars, not that hard to coach 5 stars." Which is it?? Penny Hardaway is sh!tting 5 stars, how's that looking? Since John Calipari got to Memphis and beyond, he's signed as many 5 stars as anyone...how many National Titles he have to show for those 20 years? Oklahoma has signed as many 5 stars as anyone, how many National Championships they won? I could go on...

Pruitt's time here was a disaster, his defenses horrible. Sorry, though, those 3 years don't make me blind to all the other years he was an IMMENSE SUCCESS.

Last edited:
sure hope we aren't missing out on some top-tier talent because we can't come up with NIL money...that would be pathetic at this point.

Reactions: Volnut
Was looking at club seats last night, and they were 2-250 ea, 400+ this morning.
My 11 yo HATES cold weather, and so do I frankly, so wanted something to get him warmed up when needed. Eff that tho!!
Would be a $4k weekend woth tickets, hotel, etc

paying for the tickets, food/drinks in present-day nashville, finding hotel room(s) during new year week/weekend...

may as well had gone to a bowl in hawaii. imagine how pissed the purdue fans are lol

i mean, i'm still going to try to go because i don't need food, drinks, board but it's a blatant cash grab to milk the big orange cash cow to make up for a lost year of revenue

paying for the tickets, food/drinks in present-day nashville, finding hotel room(s) during new year week/weekend...

may as well had gone to a bowl in hawaii. imagine how pissed the purdue fans are lol

i mean, i'm still going to try to go because i don't need food, drinks, board but it's a blatant cash grab to milk the big orange cash cow to make up for a lost year of revenue
Oddly enough Hawaii is in the middle of a blizzard right now...crazy times we're in

This coaching carousel has been absolutely excellent for us. Next year's will likely be even better. Next year I think Auburn, FSU, and UK open up. Mack Brown is also probably teetering on the edge of retirement. If Heupel is truly the guy, he's about to benefit immensely from all this.

Make Napier fight for his life to get recruits in FL from Cristobal/whoever FSU's next hire is (Deion?!), weaken Clemson and UNC, turn UK back into a non-factor, and hopefully watch Auburn become the next Tennessee with a revolving door of bad hires.

NILs- in most occupations you make the most money of your career towards the end of your career. Not with these NILs and professional sports in general. Complete reversal. $1 million at age 18 is why the top recruits first question these days are about NILs. Not that 18 year olds are the wisest, but $1 million at 18 can compound into an insane amount over time.

Oh but your lazy boy opinion is mo betta than mine. Lol

I have history on my side. You've got nothing. What has Pruitt accomplished without the aid of being on superior teams under great head coaches? Zero, nada, zilch. His three rings are no more impressive than. The ring on the walkon, backup 6 string kicker on those national championship teams. He's a poser.

As to the Lady Vols, I think Holly has some rings too. How'd that work for her.

And since you're so quick to minimize my basketball knowledge why don't you tell me what type of offense ol' Kelky is employing?
I know the answer. Run down court and shoot.

Jeremy Pruitt should never be hired as a HC again, and never should have been hired into that position in the first place; but, as a DC, he's one of the best, if not the best, there is in college football.

The last I'm saying. If you disagree, take it up with Nick Saban...or Jimbo Fisher...or Mark Richt. Combined, those three men have more football knowledge in their collective pinky finger, than all the people who would argue with them.

There is no better example of the Peter Principle than with major college football. It’s fascinating.

“The Peter principle is a concept in managementdeveloped by Laurence J. Peter, which observes that people in a hierarchy tend to rise to "a level of respective incompetence": employees are promoted based on their success in previous jobs until they reach a level at which they are no longer competent, as skills in one job do not necessarily translate to another”

NILs- in most occupations you make the most money of your career towards the end of your career. Not with these NILs and professional sports in general. Complete reversal. $1 million at age 18 is why the top recruits first question these days are about NILs. Not that 18 year olds are the wisest, but $1 million at 18 can compound into an insane amount over time.
And if they do get that money, how do they actually realize those gains? Great organizations like NILU, from our own Grant Frerking.

View attachment 418009

If the SEC keeps divisions, this is almost certainly how it would go... I assume a 9-game conference schedule with 2 cross-division games. If you rotate two 2 teams each year, then every 4 year athlete will get to play every SEC team once.
I'm not crazy about this potential conference layout but I've got an idea.......From your pic, why can't the SEC East take LSU, Ol Miss, Mississippi State, and Arkansas. We can split those 12 teams into 2 divisions, east and west (or, basically keep the 4 listed teams in the west division and move AU and AL to the west). Now here's the tricky part. The remaining 4 teams on the list can start a new conference. They can invite Ok State, Baylor, Nebraska, Kansas, Texas Tech, Houston, Kansas State, and TCU to join and call it the Southwest Conference or SWC, for short. They can split it into 2 divisions and even have a conference championship game. I don't know, just a thought. 🙄

GBO

Reactions: Enki_Amenra
I swear, this is the last ill say...

Saban not only called Pruitt to come and coach for him once, but twice...the second time to be his DC. Mark Richt made that call, and Jimbo Fisher made that call, as well. Whether it was with good players, bad players, built or not built, those three men thought enough of Jeremy Pruitt to hire him to lead their defenses. Between those three men, they have (I believe) 12 National Championships, 16 Conference Championships, and 556 wins. So, whenever anyone is arguing with me about whether or not Jeremy Pruitt is a good DC or not, they're really arguing AGAINST all that.

I would ABSOLUTELY LOVE to see the look on Nick Saban's face if @InVOLuntary or anyone else could argue this point with him. "Nick, you sure you want to make that hire? If you look at the talent levels, and what the D was the year before, I believe you'll see what I see from the sofa." 😂🤣😂🤣

Give me a break, man.

How this argument is taken seriously is beyond me. "He can't win because he can't coach, with all those 5 stars." "The reason he wins is because of all those 5 stars, not that hard to coach 5 stars." Which is it?? Penny Hardaway is sh!tting 5 stars, how's that looking? Since John Calipari got to Memphis and beyond, he's signed as many 5 stars as anyone...how many National Titles he have to show for those 20 years? Oklahoma has signed as many 5 stars as anyone, how many National Championships they won? I could go on...

Pruitt's time here was a disaster, his defenses horrible. Sorry, though, those 3 years don't make me blind to all the other years he was an IMMENSE SUCCESS.
How dare you come in here spitting facts!

It’s simple logic, really. Some people are phenomenal when they have the right people watching over them. But when given control themselves, they just can’t handle it. Just because someone is a great coordinator doesn’t mean they’ll turn into a hall of fame HC. The problems with Pruitt were many, but the biggest was giving him the keys to a 800+ win traditional powerhouse thinking he can learn on the job. It’d be like giving me the keys to Tesla and saying “eh you’ll figure it out”.

This coaching carousel has been absolutely excellent for us. Next year's will likely be even better. Next year I think Auburn, FSU, and UK open up. Mack Brown is also probably teetering on the edge of retirement. If Heupel is truly the guy, he's about to benefit immensely from all this.

Make Napier fight for his life to get recruits in FL from Cristobal/whoever FSU's next hire is (Deion?!), weaken Clemson and UNC, turn UK back into a non-factor, and hopefully watch Auburn become the next Tennessee with a revolving door of bad hires.

Weak UNC helps us greatly
Weak VT helps us greatly
Weak Clemson is damn near pivotal for us
Strong Miami is just great for us

Now we just need Arkansas and Ole Miss to cool off and get the hell out of Memphis. And we need Kentucky to get lost.

On top of that, I pray for the continued decline and dark ages of Auburn and LSU.

Yes, I am a hater. Go Vols.

Weak UNC helps us greatly
Weak VT helps us greatly
Weak Clemson is damn near pivotal for us
Strong Miami is just great for us

Now we just need Arkansas and Ole Miss to cool off and get the hell out of Memphis. And we need Kentucky to get lost.

On top of that, I pray for the continued decline and dark ages of Auburn and LSU.

Yes, I am a hater. Go Vols.
Some of these teams will naturally Get Lost when we do what we should do and that win. It's happening.

I guess my thing is...we probably shouldn't evaluate assistants that enter successful programs and are successful at those programs so highly. One thing Josh Heupel's career has shown is that the thing he's good at (developing QBs and offense) goes with him. Regardless of how good or bad a team is he makes them better, on that side of the ball at every single stop.

I don't think Pruitt's a bad DC or bad assistant coach, but I don't know if he's elite either. Because every spot he had immense success at the HC in place was doing it before he got there and after he left. Ultimately I feel like he got overvalued by Fulmer because both of them had similar mindsets to how to build a successful program. Which is kind of funny since neither has ever actually built a program from nothing themselves.

I think Pruitt will likely be a DC again and in the right place (with a good/great HC and an established program) he'll likely do well there. I just wonder if he could build a program that wasn't already full of talent.

I guess my thing is...we probably shouldn't evaluate assistants that enter successful programs and are successful at those programs so highly. One thing Josh Heupel's career has shown is that the thing he's good at (developing QBs and offense) goes with him. Regardless of how good or bad a team is he makes them better, on that side of the ball at every single stop.

I don't think Pruitt's a bad DC or bad assistant coach, but I don't know if he's elite either. Because every spot he had immense success at the HC in place was doing it before he got there and after he left. Ultimately I feel like he got overvalued by Fulmer because both of them had similar mindsets to how to build a successful program. Which is kind of funny since neither has ever actually built a program from nothing themselves.

I think Pruitt will likely be a DC again and in the right place (with a good/great HC and an established program) he'll likely do well there. I just wonder if he could build a program that wasn't already full of talent.
Brian Kelly will hire him and the face-punchability factor in Baton Rouge will be immense.

Joe Brady was not a fan of the college game. Hated recruiting from what i recall.
Modern day Major Applewhite. Member? The dude who was hired by Saban in his 20’s to be his OC at Bama (for one season) and kept getting playcalling gigs and one HC opp…to end up at South Alabama.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back