Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
We win last Saturday if Lane doesn't have his guys fake a ton of injuries thus killing the advantage of tempo. TN had 2 back to back good drives before the injury garbage started in abundance. And was driving for a third.
I think I saw somewhere that with all those injuries, it equated to their team getting like 26 free timeouts. That’s inexcusable.

If Tillman had came down with that catch and we won the game, I can just about imagine what would have happened. Fans would have rushed the field. Probably half a mil fine which I don’t care about. Also media would blame the ole Miss loss on the trash delay and Lane would fake a concussion from the golf ball.

Probably would have got ugly with fans running through Ole Miss players who just got hit with water bottles. Who knows though.

Ring sells slap on cameras, used over wifi. About $99. This js an NFL pyle on camera. Rocket surgery

View attachment 404353

That red line on MNF last night was a revelation. Major college football needs that on their first down markers and pylons yesterday. Absolute no brainer.

Regarding that 3rd down rush by Allen, because of that camera and line, not a single fan of either team could credibly argue he made the line to gain. Controversy over. No fans throwing crap, no endless discussion after the game, nada. So refreshing.

If the SEC is serious about avoiding incidents like Saturday night, those cameras would be a great place to start. Use the $250,000 in fine money, should be enough.

Last edited:
Also since TV talk is happening. Let me point one thing out to anyone looking for a new TV

The capabilities of the TV are limited by the source of the input. So if you're watching dish/direct on a 4K don't let them fool you into believing you're getting -real- 4k. If you're watching over an internet/streaming service your limited by internet speeds at possible multiple levels.

720p is technically HD and for the longest time that was the max HD resolution dish/direct/xfinity were even providing but were still pitching it as "FULL HD PROGRAMMING" So take all that into account before throwing a ton of money at something. And not all blu-rays are full 4K and to play the 4K movies that exist on blu-ray now you need a specific player to get full signal and then you even need to use the right kind of HDMI cable.

I point all this out mainly because if you're just streaming the game on the back deck over wi-fi you're wasting money on that $1500 TV the $500 one will look almost exactly the same. If you're not building a proper theater room and handpicking your player, cords, and blu-rays then you're just spending money for a feature you're not taking advantage of.

More important features to consider are contrast ratio (deeper blacks when this is higher), the quality/type of lights OLED vs LED vs LCD etc. the better your internal lights the more accurate the colors and the better quality of the picture, and then brightness.

Agreed the profession as a whole should be a tier system or unionized maybe.

NFL = highest paid but the best of the best
NCAA: P5 next highest, G5 a step down, FCS another step down, and so on

You want to make the most money you work your tail off and try to be great at it and then you get that sweet NFL gig. But leaving the door open to relegate NFL officials who suck back down to college (to work more games for less pay) would be a good incentive to keep them sharp.

I'd also make the rules uniform from college to the NFL cause why is the same sport played differently?
This is exactly how it should work. Unfortunately, it doesn't work like that at all at any of those levels. In reality, a lot of the best at their profession are in the smaller college conferences. Once you get into P5 and NFL, it's a lot more political and "who you know" than it is how good of an official you are. There are some guys I work with in high school games who are also in the GAC college conference. They are clearly better than a lot of P5 and NFL refs. I'm sure other small college conferences have similar situations. There was some story I read where some NFL ref was a 3rd or 4th generation NFL ref, if you need an example of the good ole boy system in practice.

Another interesting fact I learned, you HAVE to have a full time job outside of officiating in the NFL and P5. Officiating is not allowed to be your full time job. Supposedly it's to prevent bribery, but I think it's a stupid rule. If officials had to spend all their time being good at officiating, they'd be a lot better than someone who also works 40-50 hours a week behind a desk.

Also since TV talk is happening. Let me point one thing out to anyone looking for a new TV

The capabilities of the TV are limited by the source of the input. So if you're watching dish/direct on a 4K don't let them fool you into believing you're getting -real- 4k. If you're watching over an internet/streaming service your limited by internet speeds at possible multiple levels.

720p is technically HD and for the longest time that was the max HD resolution dish/direct/xfinity were even providing but were still pitching it as "FULL HD PROGRAMMING" So take all that into account before throwing a ton of money at something. And not all blu-rays are full 4K and to play the 4K movies that exist on blu-ray now you need a specific player to get full signal and then you even need to use the right kind of HDMI cable.

I point all this out mainly because if you're just streaming the game on the back deck over wi-fi you're wasting money on that $1500 TV the $500 one will look almost exactly the same. If you're not building a proper theater room and handpicking your player, cords, and blu-rays then you're just spending money for a feature you're not taking advantage of.

More important features to consider are contrast ratio (deeper blacks when this is higher), the quality/type of lights OLED vs LED vs LCD etc. the better your internal lights the more accurate the colors and the better quality of the picture, and then brightness.
Excellent post. I'll only add that refresh rate is a really, really important metric for watching sports on TV.

Posted this in the FF as part of a discussion. For anyone interested:

Officiating crew for Tennessee / Ole Miss game:

Referee – Marc Curles – Georgia Tech

Umpire – Brent Sowell – Alabama – played DT 1982-1985 on Bryant's last team

Linesman – Stephen Ray – Texas A&M alum

Line Judge – Chris Conway – Auburn alum, works in Montgomery

Back Judge – Matt Hollifield – Carson Newman

Field Judge – Wes Booker – Not sure

Side Judge – Eduardo Balbis – University of Florida

Center Judge - Chris Garner – The Ohio State University

Agreed the profession as a whole should be a tier system or unionized maybe.

NFL = highest paid but the best of the best
NCAA: P5 next highest, G5 a step down, FCS another step down, and so on

You want to make the most money you work your tail off and try to be great at it and then you get that sweet NFL gig. But leaving the door open to relegate NFL officials who suck back down to college (to work more games for less pay) would be a good incentive to keep them sharp.

I'd also make the rules uniform from college to the NFL cause why is the same sport played differently?
Unionizing definitely isn't the answer, there. MLB has an umpires union and all it has done is prevent provably terrible umpires from getting fired.

The SEC could start with hiring refs full time and training them year round like the NFL did for a few years.

Reactions: MoCo_Vol
You are out of your mind
Not really. I’m tired of seeing my alma mater crapped on! By it continuing to happen, it holds us down longer and longer, and continues to prove we will never get a fair shake. Hard to build championship teams when that continues to happen.

If Tillman had came down with that catch and we won the game, I can just about imagine what would have happened. Fans would have rushed the field. Probably half a mil fine which I don’t care about. Also media would blame the ole Miss loss on the trash delay and Lane would fake a concussion from the golf ball.
Well they would have to destroy the film that showed him getting hit in the snow with the golf ball.

That red line on MNF last night was a revelation. Major college football needs that on their first down markers and pylons yesterday. Absolute no brainer.

Regarding that 3rd down rush by Allen, because of that camera and line, not a single fan of either team could credibly argue he made the line to gain. Controversy over. No fans throwing crap, no endless discussion after the game, nada. So refreshing.

If the SEC is serious about avoiding incidents like Saturday night, those cameras would be a great place to start. Use the $250,000 in fine money, should be enough.
The biggest issue was the TD they screwed us out of...that and the bogus calls on us, and egregious no-calls on Ole Piss...along with all the faking being allowed with not even a verbal chastising of Kiffin was the catalyst for the debacle.

What is going to change that stuff?

Great post. Another thing to understand since people usually don’t think about it is your Wi-Fi speed (you kinda hit this point). True 4K streaming takes up ~25-30 Mbps for data speed. If this is your plans top speed I can promise you that you aren’t getting your 4K streaming because there are most definitely other objects on the network taking up bandwidth (like little Jimmy surfing the web). To test your bandwidth speed just go to fast.com and run the test. Another thing to consider is your Wi-Fi range. Hardwired is always best, but Wi-Fi is very convenient so if you are having dropping issues it could be due to the Wi-Fi card in your device not being able to pick up the Wi-Fi signal being broadcasted by your AP.

Also, PLEASE buy a top of the line HDMI cord. Amazon basics (and other equivalents) is not top of the line nor is it going to give you that “4K” picture it says it will. Remember, there is a reason it is $4.99. And to be honest the HDMI cords that usually come with the device you buy is usually not good either. Top of the line HDMI cords will be made with better internals/metals to allow crisp clear audio and video to travel through the line consistently and will not degrade nowhere near as quick as these cheap ones.

Posted this in the FF as part of a discussion. For anyone interested:

Officiating crew for Tennessee / Ole Miss game:

Referee – Marc Curles – Georgia Tech

Umpire – Brent Sowell – Alabama – played DT 1982-1985 on Bryant's last team

Linesman – Stephen Ray – Texas A&M alum

Line Judge – Chris Conway – Auburn alum, works in Montgomery

Back Judge – Matt Hollifield – Carson Newman

Field Judge – Wes Booker – Not sure

Side Judge – Eduardo Balbis – University of Florida

Center Judge - Chris Garner – The Ohio State University
I think the first step to hiring "SEC refs" would be making sure they didn't attend an SEC school.

There's so many non-drastic things you could do to address this problem.

I would start with making salary and employment completing dependant on job evaluations filled out by both coaching staffs after all games. Second, 30 minutes of press for the head ref after every game.

I can't stand that they hide the refs from criticism and attention. There is no reason for it. They are grown men who are a part of the game. If a 19 year old can stand in front of a mic and explain how they screwed up, a grown ass zebra can as well.

The biggest issue was the TD they screwed us out of...that and the bogus calls on us, and egregious no-calls on Ole Piss...along with all the faking being allowed with not even a verbal chastising of Kiffin was the catalyst for the debacle.

What is going to change that stuff?
I think they should do promotion/relegation for officials. You grade out badly, you get sent to to G5 games. Keep screwing up? Go down to FCS. And so on in that manner until you grade out better.

It’s really a travesty that officiating is handled by the conferences.

1. See above

2. Because that will never happen, the 7-8 schools in this league that get crapped on constantly (plus Texas and Oklahoma) need to get together and demand some accountability for the garbage officiating. And they have to get the league offices out of Birmingham.

I think the first step to hiring "SEC refs" would be making sure they didn't attend an SEC school.

There's so many non-drastic things you could do to address this problem.

I would start with making salary and employment completing dependant on job evaluations filled out by both coaching staffs after all games. Second, 30 minutes of press for the head ref after every game.

I can't stand that they hide the refs from criticism and attention. There is no reason for it. They are grown men who are a part of the game. If a 19 year old can stand in front of a mic and explain how they screwed up, a grown ass zebra can as well.
It's because everyone knows that those guys would struggle if put on the spot to explain some of their decisions.

They have the league do the homework for them and work backwards from (terrible) calls to the reasoning behind them. All on text, all released in limited availability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back