Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m for the DH in the NL as well….. I saw an article yesterday about MLB trying to figure out its boredom issue…… some of the changes recommended were stealing first base…… bigger bases to make it easier to be safe…. Eliminating shifts……robot umpires.
I just hate the DH. It was one of the worst ideas ever, IMO.

Agree. The teams that have hitters that do that win more and make the shifts look stupid.
Which teams hit against the shift? My favorite team is the Dodgers and they win as much as anyone but they do not hit against the shift….. The problem is pitchers arms….. The overwhelming majority throw 95+ which makes it very hard to inside out a baseball….They worry more about swing angle and trying to hit the ball out of the park bc it has been proven to create more runs.

I don’t like either of the first two options or robot umpires….. I do feel like they should move the pitching mound back….. allow shifts but make teams keep 4 infielders….. they have taken all the action out of baseball….. no managers arguing at the plate anymore…… no hard slides at second…… no plays at the plate….. no fights….. no drama at all anymore….. I wish they could get rid of free agency but I know that is impossible.
Free agency changed the game forever. I am torn on it because I want the players to be able to earn what they deserve and before the union, the owners really took advantage of the players. Having said all of that, Donald Fehr is one of my least favorite human beings of all time and I think he more than anyone else, has damaged this great game.

Free agency changed the game forever. I am torn on it because I want the players to be able to earn what they deserve and before the union, the owners really took advantage of the players. Having said all of that, Donald Fehr is one of my least favorite human beings of all time and I think he more than anyone else, has damaged this great game.
I’m fine with guys getting paid…. Just hate teams like the pirates being basically farm teams for teams willing to pay….. I also hate being fans of players on my team and them leave the very next season.

I’m fine with guys getting paid…. Just hate teams like the pirates being basically farm teams for teams willing to pay….. I also hate being fans of players on my team and them leave the very next season.
Agree totally. The reason I fell in love with the Cubs as a kid was that the players stayed on the team. Ryne Sandberg, Mark Grace, Leon Durham, Lee Smith, Shawon Dunston, even dudes like Jody Davis, Ferguson Jenkins, etc.

Agree totally. The reason I fell in love with the Cubs as a kid was that the players stayed on the team. Ryne Sandberg, Mark Grace, Leon Durham, Lee Smith, Shawon Dunston, even dudes like Jody Davis, Ferguson Jenkins, etc.
Same here…. Steve Garvey, Davey Lopes, Bill Buckner, Ron Cey, Fernando Valenzuela, Orel Hershiser…. They started my love for the Dodgers.

Baseball might pull better ratings if the games were on regularly available channels. I have Youtube TV in Atlanta and this season the Braves were rarely televised on the available channels. Compared to last year when I could view nearly every game. I don’t care enough to buy a special package either and I would imagine this is also why the generation younger than me doesn’t care about MLB.

Wasn’t there a study done that shows 20 somethings would rather watch someone play video games on Twitch than MLB? Not good for the future of baseball.

That age demographic is down on every televised sport across the board. Esports are the only ones that saw an increase in viewership in that age range.

Reactions: SoilVol
I use to feel the same way but I would rather see batters hit the ball than the pretty much automatic out. There use to be more strategy involved when guys pitched longer but that’s no longer the case.
Urias knocked in runs this series. Buehler can’t hit but last night was able to take a walk and then scored on Mookie’s dinger.

Catchers are often chosen for their defensive skill rather than batting and plenty hit in the 7 or 8 spot. Same with other specific players here and there. Even Bellinger couldn’t find a hit anywhere this season but was hard to pull out of the lineup because of his elite defense.

If people put such a premium on making sure only good batters hit, the logical extension is to have separate offensive and defensive lineups. That would be awful of course. But we’re already one ninth of the way there with the DH.

Urias knocked in runs this series. Buehler can’t hit but last night was able to take a walk and then scored on Mookie’s dinger.

Catchers are often chosen for their defensive skill rather than batting and plenty hit in the 7 or 8 spot. Same with other specific players here and there. Even Bellinger couldn’t find a hit anywhere this season but was hard to pull out of the lineup because of his elite defense.

If people put such a premium on making sure only good batters hit, the logical extension is to have separate offensive and defensive lineups. That would be awful of course. But we’re already one ninth of the way there with the DH.

You can’t seriously be comparing below average position players hitting to pitchers hitting can you

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back