Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
When some of us went and ate at Billy Ratliff’s restaurant in Powell after the Pitt game, he told us the exact same thing. He said the WR group is what is hurting us the most right now. Said Joe is throwing to a spot that the WR is supposed to be on his route, and none of our guys are getting there, so it looks like Joe is always overthrowing it, when in reality the WRs aren’t getting to the spot they should be consistently. If this is true, then Joe is no doubt QB1 because he gives this offense the best chance to blow the top off if he can start connecting on the deep ball.
I'm no expert but... Devil's Advocate...

Maybe the solution is to throw to the receiver and not the spot. Idk idk

I’m not saying Burns is doing a good or bad job but the open receivers has a lot to do with the scheme we run and forcing teams to cover from sideline to sideline.

We are used to WR getting jammed at the LOS around here and having a hard time getting separation. That problem has been remedied to this point one way or the other

I'm just excited to see that a scheme being operated by a bunch of players that weren't recruited for it is still working and scoring points. From an offensive production standpoint, it's only going to get better and smoother from this year to next and so-on. 3-5 years we will probably see the full potential of the scheme from game to game.

We just have to be patient, which I know is the equivalent of telling a woman to calm down or bathe a cat.

Seeing a problem and fixing it are really two different time lines. Not a reboot type thing. I have a feeling that it’s also that Milton is hitting the spot early too.
It’s a bit of both…
No boys surely we can find a coach that can coach em up to run 4.0 would that make everyone happy ;)

Well everyone is worried about recruiting and I’ve gotten caught up in the star gazing in the past, but for all the five stars we have gotten, I barely remember any of them being that great. It’s clearly not worked very well for us so I’m just gonna see how it plays out, even if it requires lower recruiting rankings and being a little less excited for the next big name coming in.

Reactions: UTJoe
Even better than taking my girls to the game yesterday was having the privilege of baptizing them this am. Proudest moment of being a dad.

View attachment 395740
View attachment 395741
giphy.gif

Well everyone is worried about recruiting and I’ve gotten caught up in the star gazing in the past, but for all the five stars we have gotten, I barely remember any of them being that great. It’s clearly not worked very well for us so I’m just gonna see how it plays out, even if it requires lower recruiting rankings and being a little less excited for the next big name coming in.

Stars matter and it really isn’t debatable

Stars matter and it really isn’t debatable
Don’t disagree but I’m tired of fretting over it so many years. We have had a star studded O-line for several years now and they have sucked the whole time. I’m hoping for top 25 recruiting this year and hopefully improve as our record improved. We just aren’t gonna recruit like we want until we get some wins.

Don’t disagree but I’m tired of fretting over it so many years. We have had a star studded O-line for several years now and they have sucked the whole time. I’m hoping for top 25 recruiting this year and hopefully improve as our record improved. We just aren’t gonna recruit like we want until we get some wins.

I do agree the OL is a place where you can get some lower ranked guys and develop them into studs

So what are you guys doing Saturday instead of watching the game? I think a nice hike in Big South Fork is in order.
I’ll probably watch the game. If the last 10 years of football has done anything to me, it’s corrected my priorities. I don’t let losses ruin my weekend anymore. I’ll get mad during the game and then move on pretty quickly.

People need to remember years in school doesn’t mean years of experience game wise. It helps in strength and conditioning but there is still maturity to be had on the field.

For example, we like to say oh Joe Milton hasn’t figured it out in 3 years. Well his first two years he was 3rd strong behind Shae Patterson and another guy so how many reps was he getting? Then his first year as starter was a pandemic year with an abbreviated offseason especially in big ten. He doesn’t have a spring and shows up here and has 15 practices to get ready.

So with WRs poor figure running comment…. Do you expect perfection in route running from what this staff has tried to tell everyone is a young inexperienced group. Your most experienced WR was Jones and Payton and their number prior to here don’t scream veteran superstar so they too have things to improve on and staff to figure out how to use them. Jones had injury in preseason camp and staff starting to figure out best ways to use him based on last two games. Callaway is the stud playmaker of this group that needs a lot of touches in space but his fall camp injury has forced staff to be cautious with him. Still he didn’t play WR in Hs. Hyatt is an all world talent that is way too in his head right now and needs some short stuff imo to get him going then hit him deep. Tillman is old but this is his first time seeing significant action. Merril is a freshman that missed most of spring and was limited with the knee in summer. All this to say I see no reason to worry about this group yet and I see lots of playmaking potential and a scheme that can let them work if QB gets them ball.

What I would be concerned with is OL and TE blocking and RB pass protection. This OL goes as Cooper goes. Without him we become weak at G. The first two drives with him we were mauling as an OL unit. After we have been inconsistent. Carvin at G and Cooper at C makes the OL a lot better. At same time we need better pass pro from the RBs not named Tiyon. Hyatt has a TD Saturday if Wright picks up the blitz. Fant whiffed on several blocks in run game that kept backs from getting to the hole.

I’m hoping with Cooper back we see a much different OL in run game and tempo. This is a game where you really could wear down Florida after a game with Bama if you can string some
Drives together. They showed their hand vs Bama so shouldn’t be many surprises. Maybe this is when we finally connect in the deep balls lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back