Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, that’s the spirit! So you got a coach in mind to replace Heupel? Let’s hear some realistic options. And please don’t embarrass yourself by saying just give someone $10 million a year. Because it’s been proven over and over again money isn’t the end all for hiring a coach.

Ha ha. Sorry - that was a joke. Making fun of Pruitt for firing the DL coach last year during the Kentucky game.

If I were AD, I’d lock Heupel in for 7 years in an ironclad, unbreakable contract and just tell the nutters in the fanbase to sit and spin.

We need coaching stability in the worst way.

I’m convinced any coach with a pulse, if given time and the ability to recruit a full roster, can win 60% or more of their ballgames at Tennessee.

If all these former players and other people are seeing that, then why aren't our coaches seeing it and fixing it?

Seeing a problem and fixing it are really two different time lines. Not a reboot type thing. I have a feeling that it’s also that Milton is hitting the spot early too.
It’s a bit of both…

If all these former players and other people are seeing that, then why aren't our coaches seeing it and fixing it?
They have stated that our receivers are too easily knocked off their route…..I don’t know if it’s the receivers, coaching or a combo of both…. It’s a new system for everyone so hopefully they start being more cohesive soon.

Did people just expect this brand new offense with a bunch of players that weren't recruited for it to click immediately? Or to have a totally brand new staff have it all figured out instantly? I get being disappointed with leaving points on the field for sure but I also think that the team we are watching now will look significantly better on offense in the 2nd half of the year than they have so far. Or things will at least run more smoothly anyway. 3 of our last four games are against beatable teams so just take an early one against either Missouri or South Carolina and let's go bowling.

There are reasons to be negative but there are also reasons to be optimistic imo.

Short answer is yes. People spent all offseason convincing themselves that a 3-7 team that tied the Tennessee record for most consecutive losses was really better than its record. And that ~30 players transferring out meant nothing. And that this was a 9-3 schedule, when looked at through the lense of the 90s Vols.

So yes, they expected the offense to click from Day 1, for Milton to be an All-American, and for this to be the best season we’ve had since 2007.

Our fans are nuts!!

Lol

I don’t think the wr group has played well so far but it’s way too early to pin all of that on the wr coach.
And I’m not saying it’s the WR coach’s fault. Billy was just saying that it’s not all Joe’s fault with the overthrows. It gives a little perspective why the coaches keep rolling with Joe. Billy said this is the first real coaching a lot of these kids have had in 3 years, so take that as you will. I think the evidence on the field is already proof of that.

Who said they aren’t working to fix it? If you have established bad habits already, how long does it take you to break them? A while. We have played 3 games. My word…give them some time. This is our biggest problem! We are so impatient, and I get it! We have been patient for almost 15 years. It’s hard. I don’t know a lot about football, but it’s pretty evident with the play on the field that these coaches can actually coach. We see in game adjustments for the first time in years. We need to be patient with this group and let them break the bad habits poor coaching has made.

Not sure if Burns is doing a great job or not but I am certain his unit is wide open more than any WR unit has been in years. That can’t be awful route running
I’m not saying Burns is doing a good or bad job but the open receivers has a lot to do with the scheme we run and forcing teams to cover from sideline to sideline.

When some of us went and ate at Billy Ratliff’s restaurant in Powell after the Pitt game, he told us the exact same thing. He said the WR group is what is hurting us the most right now. Said Joe is throwing to a spot that the WR is supposed to be on his route, and none of our guys are getting there, so it looks like Joe is always overthrowing it, when in reality the WRs aren’t getting to the spot they should be consistently. If this is true, then Joe is no doubt QB1 because he gives this offense the best chance to blow the top off if he can start connecting on the deep ball.

I like Billy, but this is silly. When Joe stands back there forever and sometimes waves guys around with his off hand, then overthrows - nah. He's throwing late, just like Hooker, nearly every throw past 10 yards of the LOS. Check the time yourself on the replay. They are both locking on the primaries just like #2. Hooker is better at getting out of there when he's covered. Joe throws a pretty ball that is hard to impossible to catch. He needs to dial it back, which is what he could not do in three years at Michigan. I hope Heup can get it done because they can run the full O scheme with him at QB. With Hooker they have to modify the scheme. We will never see HB playing with the #1's to know about him. Mop up with the #2's and #3's doesn't move the needle.

There is a rhythm to this O scheme that they are not finding and that is what Heup has been talking about and working on. We have zero QB's that understand and can do it yet. Quick reads and quick, accurate releases are far more important than fastballs and QB runs in this scheme.

I’m not saying Burns is doing a good or bad job but the open receivers has a lot to do with the scheme we run and forcing teams to cover from sideline to sideline.
Yeah I’d say running open is less route running and more scheme and pace. There have been plenty of drops but I’m sure coaches would know more about KB’s coaching than we would.

Our receivers have been like C- on the year so far. Hoping to see more Calloway and to see Jalen actually catch the ball

Ellerbe might not be the worst coach but Kodi Burns might be. According to Swain and the VQ guys a large reason why we can’t hit on the deep balls is because the receivers run terrible routes and/or lack the fundamentals of basic route running. Specifically said that Payton and Merrill (iirc) turn their heads too early to find the ball which inherently slows you down when running - hence an apparent overthrow.

Said One of Miltons passes that was behind Hyatt and as such not caught was because Hyatt ran a terrible route.

TIFWIW
Fahr Kodi Burns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back