Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank You. That was the response I was looking for. It was an honest question because admittedly I don’t know much about him. Also we all know Will Friend was terrible (Harcore Georgia fans will tell you the same thing) I was curious if the last 3 or 4 years we just had really bad offensive lineman evaluations and they have hit their talent level? It is just disconcerting when you can’t even push lowly TN Tech off the line of scrimmage. Outside of Cade I just wonder if man for man if they have the strength to compete in this league.

On a positive note I have been thoroughly impressed with Banks considering the personnel he has to work with.
They played an SEC schedule last year, and we saw how they did physically.. on a bright note, I doubt they got weaker in the off-season

Reactions: Vols4us
Thank You. That was the response I was looking for. It was an honest question because admittedly I don’t know much about him. Also we all know Will Friend was terrible (Harcore Georgia fans will tell you the same thing) I was curious if the last 3 or 4 years we just had really bad offensive lineman evaluations and they have hit their talent level? It is just disconcerting when you can’t even push lowly TN Tech off the line of scrimmage. Outside of Cade I just wonder if man for man if they have the strength to compete in this league.

On a positive note I have been thoroughly impressed with Banks considering the personnel he has to work with.

OL-wise, once you get past our initial 5 starters, we're in trouble. With Coop at Center, Spraggins and Carvin at Guard, and Wright and Cade at Tackle, that's our line at its best. But when we bring in the back-ups, that's when we're going to really struggle IMO. We don't have depth.

OL-wise, once you get past our initial 5 starters, we're in trouble. With Coop at Center, Spraggins and Carvin at Guard, and Wright and Cade at Tackle, that's our line at its best. But when we bring in the back-ups, that's when we're going to really struggle IMO. We don't have depth.

The part that bothers me the most is offensive line talent is the toughest to add from the portal. You can add skill position players or linebackers through the portal but you don’t see a lot of good offensive lineman in there. Most schools play their 5 best regardless if they are natural guards or tackles.

Our entire line last season was an injured Trey Smith (statistically he was the entire production from the year prior). Friend wasn't a bad coach but we were working with a lot of OL that didn't quite fit -- Butch recruited a lot of highly rated but smaller OL with the exception of Smith. Unless you think UGA's line did poorly while Gurley was running wild, coaching wasn't UGA's issue. Recruiting was what fans I've heard from most often cited but neither Friend nor Pruitt nor a ton of other coaches near the end of Richt's reign will get a fair hearing from UGA fans. They had an internal war that divided fans and players into camps and Pruitt was at the center of it.

Ironically, Pruitt's complaint at UGA was that UGA was soft. Since Pruitt hired Friend here it's pretty fair to say that he thought UGA's softness was due to Richt (actually there's a whole sordid backstory there about Pruitt fighting with Richt over it.)

Right now we have the remnants of Butch/Friend/Pruitt. Last season should've been a lot more productive on OL but Trey Smith got hurt and he was the only genuine star we had. Everyone thought Cade would be a duplicate of Trey and I think that's why expectations were so high for the OL last season despite stats telling us that Trey was the OL but while Cade is good he's never been nearly as good as Trey and because of injuries to others he hasn't been able to really shine in his more natural position.

Going forward, I don't know what we have but I do think we're dearly missing Cooper and if Cade is injured as well it's going to be even worse. This line is bad with mobile QBs. I think they'd look a lot like Butch's first year without one.

The part that bothers me the most is offensive line talent is the toughest to add from the portal. You can add skill position players or linebackers through the portal but you don’t see a lot of good offensive lineman in there. Most schools play their 5 best regardless if they are natural guards or tackles.
Not trying to degrade the young man, but the fact Ollie Lane was our first OL in when someone got hurt tells me that the younger players haven't seen any real development yet. And considering how horrible Friend was, I can't say I'm really surprised. But it's still possible that we can see development from guys like Akpo, Parker, Robinson, and Lampley. They're not there yet, though. And Dayne Davis could turn into something as well. It's just going to take some time to rebuild our OL. I honestly think Will Friend put us way behind at that position.

Our entire line last season was an injured Trey Smith (statistically he was the entire production from the year prior). Friend wasn't a bad coach but we were working with a lot of OL that didn't quite fit -- Butch recruited a lot of highly rated but smaller OL with the exception of Smith. Unless you think UGA's line did poorly while Gurley was running wild, coaching wasn't UGA's issue. Recruiting was what fans I've heard from most often cited but neither Friend nor Pruitt nor a ton of other coaches near the end of Richt's reign will get a fair hearing from UGA fans. They had an internal war that divided fans and players into camps and Pruitt was at the center of it.

Ironically, Pruitt's complaint at UGA was that UGA was soft. Since Pruitt hired Friend here it's pretty fair to say that he thought UGA's softness was due to Richt (actually there's a whole sordid backstory there about Pruitt fighting with Richt over it.)

Right now we have the remnants of Butch/Friend/Pruitt. Last season should've been a lot more productive on OL but Trey Smith got hurt and he was the only genuine star we had. Everyone thought Cade would be a duplicate of Trey and I think that's why expectations were so high for the OL last season despite stats telling us that Trey was the OL but while Cade is good he's never been nearly as good as Trey and because of injuries to others he hasn't been able to really shine in his more natural position.

Going forward, I don't know what we have but I do think we're dearly missing Cooper and if Cade is injured as well it's going to be even worse. This line is bad with mobile QBs. I think they'd look a lot like Butch's first year without one.
Gotta disagree strongly with "Friend wasn't a bad coach". I think he was a horrible coach.

Gotta disagree strongly with "Friend wasn't a bad coach". I think he was a horrible coach.

I know that's the popular opinion on him but people hated Friend and accused Pruitt of a nepotism hire before he set foot here. He had what he had to work with and whether UGA fans liked him or not those lines at UGA were good. Ours were better than the guy he replaced even if last year did underperform.

Ellerbe might not be the worst coach but Kodi Burns might be. According to Swain and the VQ guys a large reason why we can’t hit on the deep balls is because the receivers run terrible routes and/or lack the fundamentals of basic route running. Specifically said that Payton and Merrill (iirc) turn their heads too early to find the ball which inherently slows you down when running - hence an apparent overthrow.

Said One of Miltons passes that was behind Hyatt and as such not caught was because Hyatt ran a terrible route.

TIFWIW

I know that's the popular opinion on him but people hated Friend and accused Pruitt of a nepotism hire before he set foot here. He had what he had to work with and whether UGA fans liked him or not those lines at UGA were good. Ours were better than the guy he replaced even if last year did underperform.
8A447ECB-060A-475E-8C11-374D393F9C60.gif

Ellerbe might not be the worst coach but Kodi Burns might be. According to Swain and the VQ guys a large reason why we can’t hit on the deep balls is because the receivers run terrible routes and/or lack the fundamentals of basic route running. Specifically said that Payton and Merrill (iirc) turn their heads too early to find the ball which inherently slows you down when running - hence an apparent overthrow.

Said One of Miltons passes that was behind Hyatt and as such not caught was because Hyatt ran a terrible route.

TIFWIW
That’s ridiculous

TIFWIW
Running deep routes isn't a work of art. Milton is just overthrowing his receivers everytime

giphy.gif

TIFWIW
I'd replace Burns in a heartbeat. But idk about Elarbee enough to say for sure.

Reactions: VolByLaw
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back