Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem with JG wasn’t that they kept sending him back out there…. It’s bc they didn’t do a better job recruiting/ developing QBs…. Before everyone gets upset, I’m not talking about Bailey….. Bailey was a true freshman that didn’t get to practice and didn’t need to be out there until he was bc it could have ruined him…. Shrout both are lower rated qbs over the course of their career and have much higher int% at 7% while JG worse season was at 3%…. Everyone that saw practice stated that JG was way above those two and the stats proved that to be correct… That being said, he still should have been pulled when he started imploding.

As for our qbs…… Joe Milton is the only guy that can run the entire offense but he has to start proving he can hit the deep ball….. Hooker can run and complete short passes but does not look like he can stretch the field…. With Bailey…. It negatively effects our run game bc he is not threat….. he can’t run many of the plays like RPO’s and has struggled in practice with the deep passing game.

As for Bailey…. It doesn’t mean he won’t ever be a fantastic qb…..Joe Burrow wasn’t a great QB until his redshirt senior season and Josh Dobbs wasn’t the stud we remember till late in his sophomore year/junior season.

For me, the staff has decided a multi-purpose quarterback trumps a quarterback that can consistently hit passes. That’s tough because it appears their scheme has proved it has open receivers. If we hit the open receivers at a much higher rate, then it would seem an occasional sack would be acceptable. Plus, you are less likely to have injuries to your QB. But…..what do I know.

Lol..I'm responding to someone, if you don't like it, then don't read it...that is so f'n simple, even a dumbass can figure it out, or even better, you could just ignore me 🤷‍♂️ either way I don't give a runny 💩 what you think.

Have a nice day..🙋‍♂️

You’re such a pleasant and uplifting member of the site, why would anyone want to ignore you?

So the QB being able to scramble is an important part of Heupel's offense, right? Should he change his offense to suit Bailey, or should Bailey be expected to adapt to Heupel's offense? Please don't make this an argument about whether Bailey should be playing over Milton. I'm just curious about people's opinions on who should be the one to adapt, Heupel or Bailey?

Even though QB play needs to improve….. we have still been scoring points.
True...but seeing all those points left on the field was maddeningly frustrating in a close loss in a really important game. Is it so wrong to want to see every option explored?

If Milton is the guy going onward, I hope he blows up. I want that as much as anybody does.

Yes it is getting lost in all angst. Pitt should have been run out of the stadium.

Improvement is there . VN's patience is not.
Yeah I know…. We still put the second most points on that team in the last two seasons although we definitely left points on the field.

Secondary has to be fixed quick for SEC play specifically our safeties. Need to find guys who want to actually be near the ball

Yeah those two better get better fast or Tmac/Charles will start taking the reps. The youngsters are showing out on special teams and pushing for defensive reps. I was really disappointed in Flowers. There was one drive late where everyone was still giving effort but he just seemed to give up. His blitz off edge was pathetic effort he pulled up despite no blockers and ball hadn’t left picketts hand yet. He just had already given in to the loss

So the QB being able to scramble is an important part of Heupel's offense, right? Should he change his offense to suit Bailey, or should Bailey be expected to adapt to Heupel's offense? Please don't make this an argument about whether Bailey should be playing over Milton. I'm just curious about people's opinions on who should be the one to adapt, Heupel or Bailey?
The last two years at UCF Dillon Gabriel had 78 yards and 169 yards rushing. It's not like qb running is a pivotal part of the offense making up a substantial part of the yards.

Last year Dillon Gabriel was 3rd in the NCAA in pass attempts and 5th in yards passing. In 2019 he was 13th in passing yards in the NCAA.

This is an aggressive pass offense. I don't think there's too many adjustments to make for Bailey if he can pass. And Bailey isn't immobile. He's not as fast/agile as Hooker, but he can run if needed.

Must be forgetting when he was sacked and the lineman walked by w/o helping him up, I believe the Mays brothers were giving each other high fives. Had this board up in arms. Don’t recall which game…
I do recall it. That was very strange, but yes I remember. Could be something to it.

Reactions: 99Vol
The last two years at UCF Dillon Gabriel had 78 yards and 169 yards rushing. It's not like qb running is a pivotal part of the offense making up a substantial part of the yards.

Last year Dillon Gabriel was 3rd in the NCAA in pass attempts and 5th in yards passing. In 2019 he was 13th in passing yards in the NCAA.

This is an aggressive pass offense. I don't think there's too many adjustments to make for Bailey if he can pass. And Bailey isn't immobile. He's not as fast/agile as Hooker, but he can run if needed.
Gabriel did similar to Heath Shula running…. He is not going to run like hooker but they still have to respect him on RPO’s, read option, designed qb runs…. Bailey doesn’t give the team that.

That, however, is not the biggest obstacle Bailey has to overcome….. He has to become more consistent pushing the ball down the field…. Right now… he is third best at doing that….. he continues to work hard and may improve part of his game soon but that is the main thing holding him back.

Reactions: Vols4us
Gabriel did similar to Heath Shula running…. He is not going to run like hooker but they still have to respect him on RPO’s, read option, designed qb runs…. Bailey doesn’t give the team that.

That, however, is not the biggest obstacle Bailey has to overcome….. He has to become more consistent pushing the ball down the field…. Right now… he is third best at doing that….. he continues to work hard and may improve part of his game soon but that is the main thing holding him back.

How can he be third pushing the ball downfield behind a guy that can't and a guy that won't?

Pathetic. Hungry and tired…. It’s the first year. The staff lost a close game to a veteran Pitt team after we had multiple starters get injured and one starter ineligible.

It took Ole Miss half a season to get their offense clicking and their defense was horrible the whole year.

Atleast our defense is good, we are a QB hitting wide open receivers away from being a pretty decent team in year one of a rebuild lol.

Again, this fan base if you can’t see that our team was better against Pitt then they were all of last year I don’t know what to tell you. This current team would of ran the team from last year. Not even close. Could barely even score points last year…. We just put up 34 on Pitt and it should of been about 50

I wish folks would get this ^^^

As it stands today they are a QB away from an 7-5/8-4 type season and there is still time. All of us but the silly would take 6-6 and hope for 8-4 next year.

They are getting accustomed to the schemes and are better execution of the plays away from the same results.

They are returning some injured/ill starters away from the same thing.

The O-line position group and the QB act as one unit. If one looks bad, the other will as well. The starting O-line is not bad. Coop was out. They operate as a unit. That meant they had to change positions and add a replacement. That changed the performance level along with QB's who are not good at reading coverages and counting the box. The QB's they use have to get better at pre and after snap coverage reads in particular. The coaches need to run more zone read/read option if they are going to use the two QB's they have. Opponents are stacking the box for ordinary gap scheme and know those two QB's do not ready coverages well. The opposing DC's watch film. Not just this year, but a Michigan and Virginia Tech. They know their tendencies and strengths/weaknesses.

They are quality depth from recruiting away from 8-4 and better every season when combined with even some of the above with QB being a must have.

They are a season away from the coaching staff figuring it all out and adjusting/setting the system up for long term success. They are good, competent coaches. Happy to have them.

Now is not the time to abandon ship. Now is the time to take a breath and read the Neyland's maxims again. Then observe if the program is making progress toward living them this season knowing there will be a lot of ups and downs.

I always believed a good Coach adapts to his players talents.

How can he be third pushing the ball downfield behind a guy that can't and a guy that won't?
I don’t know but that’s what my person that watches practice everyday tells me….. he hasn’t seen as much recently so that could haves changed…..My person is ready to give Bailey a try but he said he can’t see it working at this time.

I'm not sure I would call this defense good. We're about where I though we would be so I'm not down on them but I'm being realistic. That Pitt team is bottom 4 or 5 SEC caliber team.

The team does look engaged, which is an improvement from last year. We'll know more next season about this staff. We just need to put together a respectable season, this year that is 4 to 5 wins with an outside shot at 6 and a bowl game.

I get where you're coming from, but few think 4 wins is respectable, and 5 won't be viewed all that favorably. If UT wants to continue to prop up financial support and attendance, they need to find a path to 6 wins and finish midpack or above in the SECE. Losing fatigue is real, and continuing to lose to bottom-tier SECE teams that used to be-- and should be-- gimmes is something UT does not want to do.

This QB talk is tiresome. Makes VN not worth checking into for any actual info/conversation/banter.

Can we not just trust the coach that’s had offensive success all over the place to put the guy in that he thinks is best for the job? Quit projecting your disdain for the last few years over this group of coaches and players. I have no doubt huepel is trying to win. If he thinks Milton/Hooker/Bailey are the best option I have no doubt he’ll play them.

With that said, we going to get any injured/out players back this week or we resting them to be healthy for Gainesville?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back