Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which is why Hank's Takes may be right. A run first orientation with a QB who runs like a RB may be the way to go. Mullen uses it. We have two QB's who don't read coverages well and hold onto the ball too long with a no depth O-line. The other QB who can read coverages has not seen the field, has minimal experience and would be going into the swamp with a Peterman type potential. The Tech game is just practice and reps. I'm inclined to go Hooker if I really want to win. But I want him to choose Milton for what I posted before - for him to sink or swim. Validate Heup's decision or prove it totally wrong so we can get on with the rest of the season and a shot to win more games that we ordinarily would.

Yep. I think they've always wanted Milton's skillset. But he's not where he needs to be... yet. Maybe he gets there; maybe he doesn't. Hooker and HB have different skillsets but they're not where they need to be, either. None of them are the complete package right now. Milton has the big (but inaccurate) arm, Hooker can scramble behind an iffy Oline and HB has a better rhythm with the WRs because they've worked together for a while and trained together in the offseason.

Decisions were made a while back, and the season hasn't set up in a way that favors HB leapfrogging the more experienced guys. But things haven't gone as hoped, so somebody needs to step up and take the job. Whichever QB(s) they can build around to win now is the guy(s) I want to see.

Your stretch of Pruitt status in my comments is actually funny, but disingenuous.
No it's not. Pruitt and Pittman both went 3-7 last year. Trying to shoehorn Pittman as an established example is what is disingenuous. It will be interesting to see how Heup and Pittman do in comparison but Pittman's example at this point is nothing to strive for. Yeah the win over Texas was nice. Hold your head up lad.

post 2:

You ain’t going to like this one

SPARE me the bs post about “well the team played hard” guess what? every single coach we have had since fulmer has played their ass off for their coach in year 1. The exact same line was said about those teams

Show me a college head coach coach that isn’t disciplined enough to maintain anywhere remotely close to a healthy body and I’ll show a program that is run lacking discipline. CJH was a gosh dang QB for goodness sakes and I cringe every time I have to look at his man boobs. Steve spurrier once said He wouldn’t hire a fat person because they are lazy and lack discipline. Well our team clearly showed a lack of discipline and that’s a problem going forward.

maybe just maybe JH goes the opposite direction of our last idiot coach and his body doesn’t balloon more and more like Him. Maybe in turn his program can show some damn discipline as well.

have a good day VN!

Fulmer, Chip Kelly, Pittman, Beamer,

I've contemplated this, I don't even think Spurrier is wrong, but it's a really moot overall. I know you're a troll and people will roll their eyes for people even taking your bait but I think it's fun discussion sometimes. Better than beating that absolutely hell out of the QB discussion and Beckwith discussion.

Don’t disagree with this at all. I think it’s very logical and realistic.

However, to your first point, I think that’s playing the results a little bit. Before the Pitt game, I’d say 90% of people here would have called it a must win and that we are the more talented team. Most picked Tennessee to win - many picked them to win big.

Anyone who cared to do a little research or listen to opinions outside of Knoxville would have known we were likely to lose on Saturday.

So my position has always been most folks on this message board only become realistic once things go bad.
After seeing the game we are on par with Pitt and can beat them. We should have beaten them.

Yep, that 90% of people is Vols blinders. I always base the "supposed to win" on the betting lines, the most objective source of who should win this game.

Opening line or kickoff line?

I’ve always found this to be a tough question. The opening line doesn’t have bettor bias, but also can’t take into account developments leading up to the game (injuries, weather, etc.).

post 2:

You ain’t going to like this one

SPARE me the bs post about “well the team played hard” guess what? every single coach we have had since fulmer has played their ass off for their coach in year 1. The exact same line was said about those teams

Show me a college head coach coach that isn’t disciplined enough to maintain anywhere remotely close to a healthy body and I’ll show a program that is run lacking discipline. CJH was a gosh dang QB for goodness sakes and I cringe every time I have to look at his man boobs. Steve spurrier once said He wouldn’t hire a fat person because they are lazy and lack discipline. Well our team clearly showed a lack of discipline and that’s a problem going forward.

maybe just maybe JH goes the opposite direction of our last idiot coach and his body doesn’t balloon more and more like Him. Maybe in turn his program can show some damn discipline as well.

have a good day VN!
Why are fat NFL coaches good but fat college coaches bad?

I think you're just being facetious, but if you're serious, I'd say recruiting. The beauty bias is real, and super fit in shape kids consciously or subconsciously are going to prefer people/coaches more like themselves. Just a guess.

Reactions: sona
I was totally confused too, especially given the Tennessee penalty occurred after the change of possession. An interception doesn't get overturned due to a block in the back during the return so it was weird to me a field goal return did. I was thinking a punt return was the same way, so a 15 yard penalty on a punt return just led to a penalty from the spot of the foul.

If Pittsburgh hadn't had a penalty surely it would have just been 15 yards from the spot of the foul. How does Pittsburgh also committing a penalty get them the ball back? Just weird.

did anyone see the flag on that Pittsburgh penalty? I sure didn't

I think you're just being facetious, but if you're serious, I'd say recruiting. The beauty bias is real, and super fit in shape kids consciously or subconsciously are going to prefer people/coaches more like themselves. Just a guess.
I get that point in sales, but I don't know how much that applies to a head coach. Most recruiting is done by a assistant coaches. Look at the top 20 recruiters of 2021 and tell me how many are "good looking". Recruits care about winning, getting paid, and making it to the NFL to get paid more money

2021 Football Recruiter Rankings

Reactions: beneVOLence
I get that point in sales, but I don't know how much that applies to a head coach. Most recruiting is done by a assistant coaches. Look at the top 20 recruiters of 2021 and tell me how many are "good looking". Recruits care about winning, getting paid, and making it to the NFL to get paid more money

2021 Football Recruiter Rankings
Wow, Sal Sunseri in the top-20 haha.

Reactions: VolInDayton
Why can’t we just get a QB who can make the open throws?

What amazes me...how are so many people sure that Hooker -isn't- capable of doing it?

We have the most tape on him...and I've not seen anything that says 1. he's turnover prone or 2. he's inaccurate

Also this was a beautiful deep ball...are we certain he can't throw it down the field?

What amazes me...how are so many people sure that Hooker -isn't- capable of doing it?

We have the most tape on him...and I've not seen anything that says 1. he's turnover prone or 2. he's inaccurate

Also this was a beautiful deep ball...are we certain he can't throw it down the field?

They say he’s turnover prone because he fumbled and threw a interception, but what they don’t realize is that was his first time playing, and probably didn’t expect to go in that soon (no excuse for that but still)

Reactions: VOLSONLY
My biggest negative I've seen with Hooker is he gives up a bit too quickly on the pocket and takes off running. Did it Saturday and it lead to that fumble.

To me that's something a bit easier to coach than deep ball accuracy issues, but I'm not a coach so what do I know.

Well darn it I broke my own rule on only two post lol. My apologies

Nfl coaches aren’t in charge of kids 24/7/365. College coaches are much more involved in the discipline issues involving their entire program where NFL head coaches are coaching adults. Much much much less responsibility when it comes to roster discipline when it comes to coaching in the NFL.

In a much better division top to bottom and with less talent than we had last year. Whatever it all you want but he's building. Hard to argue against it.
OK. I'll leave you handicappers to your work. Cheers.

Edit: Just don't have it in me to spend too much time on 3-7.

Wish I were strong enough to log out of VN and VQ for the next couple years. It’s truly a toxic environment right now. If a coach loses a game it’s time to fire him. If a freshman doesn’t make 10 tackles or catch 3 TD’s in week 1, they’re a bust.

The reality of this program and the expectations of some fans day 1 is so ridiculous it’s not even worth the energy to read and reply.
When I first got on here, I had the arrogant idea that I could offer some perspective. Not possible. Gradually getting on here less and less. Retiring from coaching football and wrestling and teaching math in HS this year after 37 years. Will go back to just enjoying watching College minus the drama as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back