Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean you look at yearly recruiting and attrition there are way more than 5 total teams that have 4 stars at the majority of their 2 depth (which is what BigSteve was saying, not that they were matching what Bama/Georgia have)

Alabama
Georgia
Texas A&M
Ohio State
Texas
Michigan
Clemson
Oklahoma
Notre Dame

Borderline teams
Miami
LSU
Oregon
USC
Florida
North Carolina (have stacked up 3 top 20 classes now)
I realize you had UNC as a borderline team, but I don’t think they belong there. Comparing total number of starred players to a two-deep rotation is not an accurate representation. I looked at UNC’s offensive two-deep (2022 North Carolina Tar Heels Football Depth Chart | Ourlads.com) and found the following for composite rankings:

No stars: RG, RT, RB
3-stars: WR, WR, WR, LT, LT, LG, LG, C, C, RG, TE, RB
4-stars: WR, WR, WR, RT, TE, QB, QB
5-stars: none

Total two-deep: 0-stars: 3, 3-stars: 12, 4-stars: 7
Total starters: 0-stars: 1, 3-stars: 5, 4-stars: 5

Notes
  • Bold font indicates starter
  • UNC plays with 3 WRs and one TE as shown in two-deep rotation, so you have 6 WRs and 2 TEs in the two-deep rotation.
  • Positions listed instead of names. I simply went through the two-deep rotation roster position-by-position and used 24/7 composite ratings for each.

Its amazing they can make it happen in basketball but have no idea what to do in football.Weve discussed it a gazillion times but if us morans can figure it out then why the hell can't they?

Some form of "player has to sit out at least 1 play unless there's a TO" should nearly eliminate it. If people cheat that system, go back to the drawing board. I know teams would just make a player who was coming out next play fake the injury but it's at least a start. Figure up the technicalities later.

Then again, the other football has not figured it out and players dive everywhere inside the 18.

I realize you had UNC as a borderline team, but I don’t think they belong there. Comparing total number of starred players to a two-deep rotation is not an accurate representation. I looked at UNC’s offensive two-deep (2022 North Carolina Tar Heels Football Depth Chart | Ourlads.com) and found the following for composite rankings:

Notes
  • UNC plays with 3 WRs and one TE as shown in two-deep rotation, so you have 6 WRs and 2 TEs in the two-deep rotation.
  • Positions listed instead of names. I simply went through the two-deep rotation roster position-by-position and used 24/7 composite ratings for each.

I like these conversations and roster analyses from the past couple of days. I am ready for this year's Blue Chip Ratio to come out.

From last year:
College football is an awesome sport. We love the drama, the upsets, the variety of schemes, the tradition, and the pageantry.

But while awesome upsets happen all the time in single-game settings, college football is not a sport which offers much hope to Cinderella stories when it comes to winning it all.

For that, teams have to recruit at a ridiculous level to even have a chance.

I track that minimum required level of recruiting necessary to win a title and publish the teams who have met the standard annually in Blue-Chip Ratio. Since its inception in 2013 it’s been referenced on all the major broadcast networks and referred to by head coaches. It’s not the most complicated calculation in the world, but it’s a great way to figure out the top 10 percent or so of the teams in the sport which can actually take home the title.

10897476.png

Also, from last year:
Who could be next?

Washington, as it is only a percentage point away.

Outside of that, the only other schools who are even on the radar are the Tennessee Volunteers, Florida State Seminoles and the North Carolina Tar Heels.

Tennessee sits at 48 percent, but with a new coach and uncertainty about its NCAA future, it might be tough to sign enough blue chips to get over the hump.

Florida State has great recruiting momentum as of this writing, but is almost certainly two classes away even if things go well with the 2022 cycle.

North Carolina at 35 percent is probably two classes away, as the 2019 class serves as a bit of an anchor on its number.

I wonder if we'll crack 50% this year. I hope!

Should be coming soon:

Working at a camp where Sam Pittman made an appearance. I chatted with him for a bit, he said he's never heard of an OL coach getting run out of town as fast as he was after having one of the best OL units in history. He didn't sound too bitter but definitely didn't sound like he had any love lost for Tennessee lol

Notes

Yeah, their best class hasn't even played a snap yet. Why they were borderline. And depending on which rankings ya look at I'd say some of those 17 3-stars might even be 4 stars.

There is also the debate that can be raised about returning production and how it equates. Cause if a guy is a 5th year starting OL he's likely a better talent than an incoming 4 or 5 star even. But OL is a bit different in that regard.

Good information though, appreciate you digging into their roster.

So as of now they have 12 4 stars and 17 3 stars in their 2 deep...within another 2 or 3 years if they keep recruiting like they have been under Mack would be interesting to see where the numbers are then.

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
never heard of it.

More of a Pack's Tavern type guy.
It's only been around since 2009. It's right across from pack's tavern (across the park) in the very center of downtown, if you ever return and like Indian. It isn't fancy, pretty straightforward but just good.

Offense I'd say these are the guys I'd circle as good/great SEC talent
Hooker
Tillman
Carvin
Wright (kinda on fence, think he'll be even better in year 3 though)

Defense
Banks
Byron

I could maybe mention a few other names...but I'm hesitant too. The defense plays a ton of snaps so sometimes stats alone aren't enough. I am confident the two guys I mentioned could be in any 2 deep in the SEC, and most likely starting on the majority of them.

If
Ridiculous to say it will be an abject failure.
If we are healthy then yes it will be and you and everyone else will feel the same.

Bringing back what we bring back and have added just to go 7-5 again would really suck. Our schedule is also easier. Florida will be worse this year than they were when we played them. LSU won't be as good as Ole Miss, Pitt will be worse. Kentucky could easily he worse missing linemen and wandale Robinson.

If we go 7-5 come back and tell me it wasn't a failure.

It's only been around since 2009. It's right across from pack's tavern (across the park) in the very center of downtown, if you ever return and like Indian. It isn't fancy, pretty straightforward but just good.
i do not. but will certainly let my family know.

if im in Asheville its Lobster Trap, Bier Garden, Hillman's, Thirsty Monk, Table, Haw Creekside Taphouse, Pisgah...

Maybe Zambra.

OR 99.99% Wedge at Foundy St.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
Offense I'd say these are the guys I'd circle as good/great SEC talent
Hooker
Tillman
Carvin
Wright (kinda on fence, think he'll be even better in year 3 though)

Defense
Banks
Byron

I could maybe mention a few other names...but I'm hesitant too. The defense plays a ton of snaps so sometimes stats alone aren't enough. I am confident the two guys I mentioned could be in any 2 deep in the SEC, and most likely starting on the majority of them.
These are the ones that Phil Steele called out as good/great SEC talent:

1655315500744.png

Yeah, I wanted to include Small...but he'll be entering his 3rd season and has had injury issues each year. So I'd add him with an asterisk beside his name (* if he is healthy)

Working at a camp where Sam Pittman made an appearance. I chatted with him for a bit, he said he's never heard of an OL coach getting run out of town as fast as he was after having one of the best OL units in history. He didn't sound too bitter but definitely didn't sound like he had any love lost for Tennessee lol
Little disingenuous on his part. It ENDED UP as a noteworthy OL, but he didn’t recruit a single player on it. No doubt Butch’s fortune differs if Pittman carries over and begins his legacy in Knoxville instead of Fayetteville.

Some form of "player has to sit out at least 1 play unless there's a TO" should nearly eliminate it. If people cheat that system, go back to the drawing board. I know teams would just make a player who was coming out next play fake the injury but it's at least a start. Figure up the technicalities later.

Then again, the other football has not figured it out and players dive everywhere inside the 18.
My solution to this would be:
Player that goes down has to sit remainder of possesion, whether 1 play or 20. Said player is supposed to be getting medically evaluated anyway, right? I think making this the rule would stop some of this nonsense of players going down by order of a coach or GA on the sideline and would definitely speed up the game. The NCAA and officials say "in the interest of player safety and well being, we can't have officials make that call if a player is hurt or not". Fine, said player sits out remainder of possesion. This come to the sideline for one play and running right back out is bs.

McGill is right about fans setting their expectations too high then wanting to fire everyone if too many things go wrong. But also need to keep in mind that he looks at what all could go wrong and expects it. So whatever he says I see that as the floor. We do lack depth enough to overcome too many injuries. We also have good coaches capable of scheming around weaknesses. So let’s just enjoy the good times while we are rebuilding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back