Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I figured....just F'ing with you. It has to suck being a Vols fan and never experiencing us being great. My entire life up to my late 20's we were one the the elite programs and were hugely respected. It hurts seeing it all go to shite in 13 years but at least I experienced the 80's, 90's and early 2000's.

SC fans should feel embarrassed to ever talk shite to UT fans. We would need decades and decades to reach their overall level of suck.
This. I was at UT when USC went 1-10 and 0-11 in consecutive years.

Last edited:
As a longtime Vol fan and student of our history, a couple of points inform my outlook on the game for Saturday:

1. The Gators always beat the Vols. When we are good, they are better, and when they are bad, we are worse. It wasn't always this way, and it may not always be this way, but that's the way it has been since Urban Meyer arrived.
  2. College football is a game of emotions and rivalries, and there is no way that Florida is going to be as pumped up to play us as they were against Bama. It is simply too hard to do in consecutive weeks. Think of how we played them off their feet in 2015 only to come up short in tragic fashion, and then came out dead against a lesser Arkansas team the next week.
  3. Never read too much into the "moral victory" or "heroic loss." Every season some team rises up and plays great against a heavy favorite, and people think that the team who lost is at the same level as the team that barely won. It's rarely true. See, e.g., our games against Bama in 2009 and 2015.
  4. As a consequence of point 1, neither the team nor the Florida fans nor the team will take us seriously, and the crowd will have a hard time getting up for this game. Dan Mullen is already trying to fight this effect: To Pack Swamp again, UF's Mullen ready to resort to song and dance The freshman class at UF was likely born in the last year we beat them in Gainesville, and has only seem them lose to us once in their memory. Sadly, there is no regular opponent we can say that about for our freshman class, but the basic analogy is to the way we considered Kentucky or Vandy back in the 90's or 00's. This is sad for the state of our program, but works in our favor this game. I just really wish this was a noon start instead of a night game.
  5. The Veer and Shoot Briles offense that we run has had some success against Todd Grantham's defense, see the Ole Miss - UF game from last year.
  6. The Florida offense is a very one-dimensional run-based offense, and we have been very strong against the run so far this season, although we haven't really faced a running QB threat like UF has. Pickett at Pitt was great at escaping pressure and throwing after he bought time, but I'm not sure Jones and Richardson will be so good at doing that. The question is whether we can contain them from making first downs with their legs. I suspect Mullen will work the middle of the field in a quick, short passing game the way that he did against Bama, we just have to get stops in the red zone.
  7. All of these factors point to a Florida team that comes out flat, we get a couple of quick scores in the first quarter, and it's game on. I think we are in this game going into the fourth quarter.
  8. See point 1. None of the other points matters on the final outcome. We're going to lose. But it will be one of those losses where do it in heartbreaking, woulda, coulda, shoulda fashion. So there's that.
Like, but not like. Sick of losing to those clowns.

Disagree. Smoothest bourbon I've ever had.
It is a good drink, but for the price there are others I am shooting for. The biggest issue is you used to be able to get it for about 55$, but now everybody wants to charge over 80$ around here at least.
Smooth is always one of those things that people use to describe bourbon I have never understood, not knocking you just my personal preference. I drink bourbon for the different flavors they bring, and I don't really mind a little burn on my firewater. I tend to gravitate towards cask strength or bottled in bond types. Really like the Old Forester 1920.

only Rye ive ever had was at distillery in downtown Kport. owner is a former Fireman. so felt obliged, wasnt bad. just not a whiskey person. more Vodka, surprisingly. Ketel or even Svedka are decent.

Used to know some Bulgarians, who got me into sipping a good Vodka. This will play well with the Commie crowd.

@Weezer strikes me as a Moscow Mule guy.
Ketel One is legit, but the little robots they used in the Svedka adverts always freaked me out. I used to run a beverage store so I've sampled a bit of everything. Tito's used to be my go-to vodka recommendation, but there are a lot of good ones out there now. We used to have a bunch of Russians come in and they almost as a whole drank red wine and Stolichnaya.

Reactions: mrMet
It is a good drink, but for the price there are others I am shooting for. The biggest issue is you used to be able to get it for about 55$, but now everybody wants to charge over 80$ around here at least.
Smooth is always one of those things that people use to describe bourbon I have never understood, not knocking you just my personal preference. I drink bourbon for the different flavors they bring, and I don't really mind a little burn on my firewater. I tend to gravitate towards cask strength or bottled in bond types. Really like the Old Forester 1920.
Had a couple of good shots of some Pappy Van Winkles Sat. that was very good. For some reason I can't remember which one it was though lol.

Reactions: Smokeytom
Just bought my boss something called Angel's Envy Rye as a retirement gift. Hope he likes it, wasn't cheap.

I'm more of a Miles Davis Bitches Brew or Sexual Chocolate beer type guy. Maybe a Vadim Bora Imperial Stout.
As embarrassing as it was to order in front of my wife and mother-in-law, I had Sexual Chocolate for the first time in North Myrtle. Was very good, and completely opaque. Crazy. Will have that one again!

Reactions: Jackcrevol
I think Tennessee will stop the straight up running game but will struggle mightily with the QB out-of-the-pocket running game
I'm hoping that having a slightly smaller/more agile OLB group can help with contain some. Byron Young and Morvin Joseph kinda fit the new build of QB contain DE/OLB. Not going to bull rush o-linemen like Baron does, but don't weigh 260 either so they can catch up to a QB rolling out of the pocket. Either that or we have McCullogh/Slaughter spying the QB.

As a longtime Vol fan and student of our history, a couple of points inform my outlook on the game for Saturday:

1. The Gators always beat the Vols. When we are good, they are better, and when they are bad, we are worse. It wasn't always this way, and it may not always be this way, but that's the way it has been since Urban Meyer arrived.
  2. College football is a game of emotions and rivalries, and there is no way that Florida is going to be as pumped up to play us as they were against Bama. It is simply too hard to do in consecutive weeks. Think of how we played them off their feet in 2015 only to come up short in tragic fashion, and then came out dead against a lesser Arkansas team the next week.
  3. Never read too much into the "moral victory" or "heroic loss." Every season some team rises up and plays great against a heavy favorite, and people think that the team who lost is at the same level as the team that barely won. It's rarely true. See, e.g., our games against Bama in 2009 and 2015.
  4. As a consequence of point 1, neither the team nor the Florida fans nor the team will take us seriously, and the crowd will have a hard time getting up for this game. Dan Mullen is already trying to fight this effect: To Pack Swamp again, UF's Mullen ready to resort to song and dance The freshman class at UF was likely born in the last year we beat them in Gainesville, and has only seem them lose to us once in their memory. Sadly, there is no regular opponent we can say that about for our freshman class, but the basic analogy is to the way we considered Kentucky or Vandy back in the 90's or 00's. This is sad for the state of our program, but works in our favor this game. I just really wish this was a noon start instead of a night game.
  5. The Veer and Shoot Briles offense that we run has had some success against Todd Grantham's defense, see the Ole Miss - UF game from last year.
  6. The Florida offense is a very one-dimensional run-based offense, and we have been very strong against the run so far this season, although we haven't really faced a running QB threat like UF has. Pickett at Pitt was great at escaping pressure and throwing after he bought time, but I'm not sure Jones and Richardson will be so good at doing that. The question is whether we can contain them from making first downs with their legs. I suspect Mullen will work the middle of the field in a quick, short passing game the way that he did against Bama, we just have to get stops in the red zone.
  7. All of these factors point to a Florida team that comes out flat, we get a couple of quick scores in the first quarter, and it's game on. I think we are in this game going into the fourth quarter.
  8. See point 1. None of the other points matters on the final outcome. We're going to lose. But it will be one of those losses where do it in heartbreaking, woulda, coulda, shoulda fashion. So there's that.

Good post. Agree completely. Just hope for melt downs by the Mullenites with turnovers for our guys to achieve their best result.

We need a solid performance to build on to be able to win some games the rest of the season. Just like UF got against Bama. They now have confidence they can win out and face them again in the SECCG. Which means they are likely to be coasting a bit against us and who could blame them?

As embarrassing as it was to order in front of my wife and mother-in-law, I had Sexual Chocolate for the first time in North Myrtle. Was very good, and completely opaque. Crazy. Will have that one again!
the line for ltd release at Foothills wraps the bldg. I called for a keg once, or even a sixer. Guy laughed, said restaurants hold kegs a year in advance. Sorta Cold Mountain ish. Which btw ive never seen anything like that. CM release party's fill up two grocery stores parking lots, people are bussed in. Highland completely sold out.

One evening shortly after, went into Convenience store and saw bottles of CM just sitting there for sale.That's Asheville.

Anyway, Mellow Mushroom here in JC has SC release party's. They held back the 2019 keg for 2020, and so forth. Tastes of tannins, got a tobaccish, prune, and fruit with caramel and brown sugar with about 10-12%. Bought a 32 oz for my bday, $25-

btw if you're ever in Asheville. gotta check out the Wedge in River Arts. If you love beer & art. It's best beer ive ever had, at least most consistent. Measured by knowledge of staff, ambience of taproom, history, selection and creativity of beers, freshness etc.

In a restored textile mill, with iron wrought gating. Taproom rotates several beers, but showcases Vadim Bora Russian Imperial Stout, Iron Rail IPA, Golem (High Grav), Citrus IPA. You can have dinner or mill about the various shoppes located around.

We'll be there Sat afternoon celebrating number 10.

Beer — Wedge Brewing Co.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrmax86
Don’t blame him..kid deserves a shot.we could literally be sitting on gold and would never know it.
Puhhhhlease......based on what? Really curious what ACTUAL DETAILS you have about his ability to help contribute to this football team winning games? And those details must extend beyond "well look at the dude he is big and looks like Derrick Henry"

Reactions: volbeast33
SIAP, whether you agree or not, it's interesting to read, IMO

Aaron Murray explains why Hendon Hooker should start over Joe Milton III

I had a whole essay typed, but accidentally closed my tab, so here's a shorter version of what I had typed:

I don't think you can compare Joe Milton III to Justin Fields here...Joe has 3 years of Power 5 football experience under his belt already (with 3 more to go). Fields coming into college as a Freshman and having the "Rocket Arm" and only one pitch, makes more sense.

For Joe, he has prior experience and training throwing multiple pitches during his time at Michigan. He's got a lot of information bouncing around in his head. How does Heupel's training for Joe compare to what he got from his off-season training before? My guess is Heupel sees that Joe knows what to do, and that he's almost there, as far as fitting in this system, and taking Josh's training over what he learned before. I think that's why Joe is still starting (for the info that we currently have). If Milton was a lost cause, Hooker will play the rest of the season. We'll have to see. But, I trust Heupel knows what he's doing. And if he doesn't? Well, I still trust his evaluation more than the fans'...

Wow...Beckwith did like nothing in HS. All that size and natural athletic ability but doesn't like contact, not gonna cut it playing big time football then.

Reactions: SoilVol
Wow...Beckwith did like nothing in HS. All that size and natural athletic ability but doesn't like contact, not gonna cut it playing big time football then.

It is pretty amazing the amount of fantasy fans have created with him. He doesn't have great high school production to point to and he can't even get on the field for special teams but we got fans that think he is a stud if we would just give him a chance.

It is pretty amazing the amount of fantasy fans have created with him. He doesn't have great high school production to point to and he can't even get on the field for special teams but we got fans that think he is a stud if we would just give him a chance.
Backups are always the most popular players.

Seems Pruitt & previous staff really had high thoughts of their abilities to just develop guys that looked the part. May be why we saw the team fall off. I think Heupel and staff are more interested in finding football players, and if they are great specimens then all the better.

Reactions: cHiZzLeVOL

Incredibly, and tragically, spot on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back