Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
They wouldn't have to defend thousands upon thousands of lawsuits. These would all be put into one single class-action suit that the NCAA would have to defend one time per rule.
Your the lawyer but to my knowledge "class actions" are when plaintiffs choose to join together. You're saying defendants can FORCE plaintiffs to sue together? In the same jurisdiction?

Reactions: LittleVol
Another bleh. Everyone is failing us 😅

Bad for UT.

Guess it's gonna be all chalk and the hardest road possible smh.

You’re looking at it all wrong.

From our boys’ perspective:
255.gif

Oh it totally would, and I think it would look ridiculous too. I can't say for certain but I think the NCAA is much more concerned about "money as an inducement" than a kid exercising his rights of publicity (traditional marketing/sponsorship). So to me, I'd think an age restriction would be the most likely route the NCAA would go rather than a cap on amateur-eligible earnings. I also think the age restriction would be more legally defensible.
The NCAA is concerned about control, money, and the status quo. NIL is allowing programs like UT challenge programs like Bama for the nation's best players. Texas A&M did it last year. Instead of a handful of teams with a real shot at the BCS... NIL gives 20-30 an equal shot to rise up and challenge.

The #1 seed drought is astounding. Not only has a #1 seed only won it all once in 23 years, but they've only made the CWS 8 times (35% of the time). They've made the final series only TWICE.

That is nuts.
If we don't win it all, I am totally blaming this post.

Reactions: gordonr24
So my boss and his wife bought my newborn daughter a bunch of gifts. One whole gift bag was nothing but Virginia Tech Hokies stuff because, well I work for them and he's a troll lol.

One of the gifts was a Hokies children's book about the Hokie bird going to all the other ACC mascots trying to find out what animal he is then learning he's a turkey.

So anyway I'm flipping through and get to the author's page and it's written by none other than J Baron and Woody Baron. The father and brother of Tyler Baron. I met Woody a few times in high school when he was at Brentwood Academy where he also was a very successful wrestler. They both played at Virginia Tech. Woody graduated in 2016.
Is this the same guy you doxed in an email and sent to him by mistake?

Reactions: hooter vol
This might sound strange, but it just dawned on me that not everyone is a lifelong Vols fan. I kinda assumed that, as a kid, you liked them or you grew up with UT fans. I just saw someone mention they became a fan in Sept. 2019.

I grew up just across the river from Neyland. My grandma lived off Martin Mill pk, next to Fleniken elementary. Every football Saturday, we'd climb the hill behind Fleniken and watch for the fireworks after a score.

The old man, who lived on top of the hill, would always have John Ward playing. We'd build dirt jumps in the woods next to his house and ride the trails while the broadcast aired. Whenever we scored, we'd know it. The radio excitment, then hearing "Go Vols" being yelled inside & outside houses having game day bbq's up and down the street, and seeing or hearing the fireworks exploding. . . I was hooked early, as far back as I can remember.

When/why did you become a Vols fan?

The case for NIL restriction seems even weaker than the case for capping education related benefits... A case that was shutdown 9-0.

I don't see any scenario where the NCAA goes that route. It's just going to be a swift defeat in court. All roads lead to the argument "Boosters and Collectives = pay to play".

And I'm definitely a lawyer so you can take this to the bank.

We took ours to get neutered today, and they found a heart murmur during his pre-op physical so he got out of it… for now. Told the vet I would probably develop a heart murmur too if I went in there, too.

Proceeded to tell this lady at church about it, she said you could use my vet, he makes house calls. I said “what like he does the procedure in his van?” She said “no, he does it right there inside the house” 🤨 I said, “do what?” She said “well yea we just laid some plastic down on the dinner table, my daughter had to get a ziploc bag for the testicles” 🫣🫠

True story, and now I’m looking for a new church home.
You can't make this stuff up

For like the 10th time, NO. SCOTUS. HAS. NOT. My entire point all along has been to clear up this exact thought. The NCAA has never been challenged in court re: NIL regulations. Not one single time. Which is why they still have a full arsenal to regulate. They have lost twice solely based on a cap of educational benefits. I don't know why this is so hard to grasp. I feel like I am talking to a child.

Well the NCAA sounds like it is trying to regulate SPYRE and collectives acting as a booster proxy for the school. They announced it in May. What comes of it? I am not sure, it seems on very shaky legal grounds. But the NCAA sent guidance to member schools that collectives are boosters, and boosters cannot have contact with prospective S-As.

But more to the point I think you are trying to make. I have been very clear on this point multiple times. You are correct that the NCAA can't regulate a private contract between two private entities. They cannot say "SPYRE may offer only X." I never claimed they could. But that still does not mean that the NCAA cannot regulate the athletes attempting to play college sports. And that is exactly where the regulations will be aimed. The rule will be something along the lines of a cap on the player: "Athlete may not make over X in a year to maintain amateur eligibility" or "Players are ineligible to receive inducements for NIL until they have completed X amount of class in a satisfactory manner."
Yes.they.have! They used to be able to “regulate” the COMPENSATION a student athlete could receive and remain eligible. And they ruled with an iron fist and wouldn’t even allow athletes to participate in CHARITY events (Steve Alford calendar). Screwed the pooch and remained unbending until they were rendered POWERLESS in that department. They can’t regulate if a player can make $.50 or $50 million. Now academic eligibility is open game but it can’t be tied in with what they receive OUTSIDE THE UNIVERSITY. If they try? Papa Supreme Court will smack em around again. 😎

This might sound strange, but it just dawned on me that not everyone is a lifelong Vols fan. I kinda assumed that, as a kid, you liked them or you grew up with UT fans. I just saw someone mention they became a fan in Sept. 2019.

I grew up just across the river from Neyland. My grandma lived off Martin Mill pk, next to Fleniken elementary. Every football Saturday, we'd climb the hill behind Fleniken and watch for the fireworks after a score.

The old man, who lived on top of the hill, would always have John Ward playing. We'd build dirt jumps in the woods next to his house and ride the trails while the broadcast aired. Whenever we scored, we'd know it. The radio excitment, then hearing "Go Vols" being yelled inside & outside houses having game day bbq's up and down the street, and seeing or hearing the fireworks exploding. . . I was hooked early, as far back as I can remember.

When/why did you become a Vols fan?

I love this. Those are some cool memories.

Born in ‘76, so I’d say early 80s for me. Grew up in rural middle TN. I was first generation college attendee/grad (and didn’t go to UT) so there was no alum connection. The Vols were just our team.

We were Tennesseans. Therefore, we were Vols.

I'm thinking more like... The Shire.

Prolly cuy. Yes, the Incas ate guinea pig.

There is an awesome painting of The Last Supper in the Lima cathedral, adapted to local taste for purposes of proselytizing, where Jesus is sharing cuy and wine with his disciples. I have a photo somewhere. A classic.

Edit: I'm not saying there's anything wrong with. It's a beautiful painting in a beautiful cathedral. And Lima has the best seafood in the world. Ceviche heaven.

Last edited:
I mean, yeah I'm not pulling for England in int'l play lol so "yhtsi" per the loss. But the booing is just sad from Hungary, but much is explained below. It was a bunch of children.

Not that Hungary, like most soccer countries that show such hate, are countries with great human rights records. Russia, iran, now Hungary, on top of Mexico's hateful garbage they spew.

Are there even a significant number of black people in Hungary? Guessing not and it shows. But passing it down to children? Yuck.

View attachment 461715
View attachment 461716
View attachment 461717
I'd love to reply to this...but I can't...🤬

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back