Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know a couple of things that TWRA has done in my lifetime. 1. brought back the deer population and 2, the turkeys.

Most people don't know but the deer population was almost nil in Middle Tn and the state for that matter, in the 50's and 60's ( I think wasting disease or something like that killed them off) and when I started deer hunting in the 70's it was a thrill to just see one and you NEVER saw a turkey. Now we have ample of both, so those projects have worked very well. We have both roaming the streets now in almost every city.
We hunted them to extirpation in much of the south. There were only a handful of strongholds. They transported deer from the midwest to restock the state and upped enforcement of game laws. The deer in TN today are not the same bloodline that Boone hunted.

We hunted them to extirpation in much of the south. There were only a handful of strongholds. They transported deer from the midwest to restock the state and upped enforcement of game laws. The deer in TN today are not the same bloodline that Boone hunted.
I read once that it was the desperation of the Great Depression that caused them to nearly disappear in rural areas.

Right now Red Wolves are being planned to be reintroduced. I agree with the Mountain Lion aspect. Lotta reports of them but none confirmed as of now. I think they would be last to be introduced (if ever) because of the amount of tourists the visit East Tennessee and West NC
Red wolf reintroductions are failing because they can't keep the bloodline pure (coyotes). I would not be shocked to see red wolves be declared extinct in my lifetime.

Lions occasionally pop up in the western half of the state. Typically rouge males from the badlands per genetic analysis. They'll eventually reestablish in the east, but no agency is going to open that can of worms. As soon as someone gets hurt or lifestock killed they'll get sued, even if its wrong.

Bears are spreading at a rapid rate. They're now st starting to get established in areas of the midstate. I continue to hope the state will establish some in LBL like they did BSF but I'm not convinced they will. The black bear population today is higher than its been in the last century (or two) and only growing. Not an apex predator, but will take fawns and change some behavior patterns. Hunting where there's predators is an awesome feeling.

I live in Sumner County and not far from my house is one of the spots they released some of the deer at. My understanding is that those deer were from either Ky or Tx I've heard both.

Reactions: SoilVol
Red wolf reintroductions are failing because they can't keep the bloodline pure (coyotes). I would not be shocked to see red wolves be declared extinct in my lifetime.

Lions occasionally pop up in the western half of the state. Typically rouge males from the badlands per genetic analysis. They'll eventually reestablish in the east, but no agency is going to open that can of worms. As soon as someone gets hurt or lifestock killed they'll get sued, even if its wrong.

Bears are spreading at a rapid rate. They're now st starting to get established in areas of the midstate. I continue to hope the state will establish some in LBL like they did BSF but I'm not convinced they will. The black bear population today is higher than its been in the last century (or two) and only growing. Not an apex predator, but will take fawns and change some behavior patterns. Hunting where there's predators is an awesome feeling.

1652458952364.gif

To risk the wrath here... I've personally seen them in greater Chattanooga area. As have several acquaintances.
They are usually thought to be melanistic cougars or bobcats. They have been spotted here in Lincoln County on trail cams too, but haven't been "confirmed." I was just really wanting set up a chance to use this meme:
58935102.jpg

Well, she was responsible for hiring and signing paychecks for both, so… anyways…. way to take something innocuous and sully it. 🤨

GB🍊?
At the time everyone thought Fulmer could be a good AD so I don’t blame her for hiring him, but Fulmer was stubborn and he made his own bed with Pruitt with not pulling the trigger and firing him and it killed him. Donde made the right call in getting rid of both so bravo to her

Reactions: engineerVOL
To risk the wrath here... I've personally seen them in greater Chattanooga area. As have several acquaintances.
I don't want to offer wrath I will just mention... mountain lion (Puma concolor) has never exhibited melanism and their species name "concolor" means "one color" because throughout their range (tip of South America to Canada) they have the same coat color. The Panthera genus exhibits melanism. When people say "black panther," that generally refers to a melanistic African leopard in Africa or a melanistic jaguar in Central and South America.

Poor lighting can play tricks on your eyes, and it can also make things appear larger than they are, but black mountain lions do not exist and have never existed.

I don't think the Smokies have a large enough population of deer outside of Cades Cove to support very many wolves.
Bingo. The problem with the Smokies is that it's actually fairly poor habitat as contiguous old growth. The majority of game are concentrated on the edge of the park and high-use areas where there's openings and food. But since its a national park you can't do any habitat management. Could look to Cherokee or Pisgah National Forests, but every time they try to get a logging operations to create habitat it gets hit with a lawsuit but well-meaning buffoons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back