Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's great bud, but at the end of the day it comes down to "pics or didn't happen" because it'd literally be the very first one ever, or another example of mistaken identity. That's literally the only way to prove that the species exists in these locations.

Sorry, I'm being "condescending" about something that I have to repeat 100 times a day as a subject-matter expert with people who claim the exact same thing you have but have yet to provide verified proof. It's not particularly directed at you. All I can say is, without proof - the claim cannot be scientifically supported from an observational or biological standpoint.

Also, park personnel and even TWRA agents are not herpetology experts. They're very very often wrong about snakes and subject to the same myths and misinformation as the general public.

Point to where I called you a "dummy" or "ignorant redneck." Because I didn't. I was not that hard on you, but you sure did build it up.
I'm not your bud, pal.

You're not from Tennessee are you? If you had grown up here, you would have heard stories of them. Of course, that's not pictures, but you would have most likely come across one had you grown up here.

Of course my book learnin' surely ain't as good as yours, so there's no way I coulda seent one.

I'm not here to convince you, I really don't care if you believe it or not. Just because it's not in one of your books or any record of a documented population doesn't mean there aren't any here. Just because you don't believe it or have yet to see It first hand also doesn't mean there have never been any here.

It would be easier if you just came out and said, directly, what you're trying to passively say, which is, "I'm smarter than you and you're a liar."

1652142716404.gif

I'm not your bud, pal.

You're not from Tennessee are you? If you had grown up here, you would have heard stories of them. Of course, that's not pictures, but you would have most likely come across one had you grown up here.

Of course my book learnin' surely ain't as good as yours, so there's no way I coulda seent one.

I'm not here to convince you, I really don't care if you believe it or not. Just because it's not in one of your books or any record of a documented population doesn't mean there aren't any here. Just because you don't believe it or have yet to see It first hand also doesn't mean there have never been any here.

It would be easier if you just came out and said, directly, what you're trying to passively say, which is, "I'm smarter than you and you're a liar."

He's not your pal, friend!

Have seen them in middle and East Tennessee, but they are not native to the area.

Cottonmouth | State of Tennessee, Wildlife Resources Agency.
When my wife was in the Army we was stationed at Ft Stewart and one summer while she was deployed we was going through a 3 week rain drought and we started having problems with cottonmouths around the neighborhoods. Right across the street was a man made lake or pond and people started finding these snakes in their garages, houses , yards. One of my neighbors, her husband was deployed and she woke up and one was curled up on her husbands pillow and she came running out of her home screaming and banging on my door. It was crazy how bad it was. The base had to call some agency out of Savannah to come and get the snake out of her bed. I only seen 2 in my garage but they did not live to grow up. This is my cottonmouth story for the year.

I’ve got an update. So, they cancelled our surgery for tomorrow because they don’t have enough beds to keep her overnight the next few nights. So it is moved to next Tuesday. I appreciate all the love and prayers and would love for them to continue until her surgery next week and will post updates when I can. Much love to all!
Continued prayers. God has this

Pruitt was literally the last SEC coach to get a clue that this kid was bad news. So glad we no longer have that Moran.

In no uncertain terms has pruitt ever warranted the moniker of Moran.

Idiot yes
Moron yes
Bammer scum yes
Low life cheating asswipe of course.

Never, ever sully the Moran by using it to describe him again or I will report you for the horrible transgression.

😳

I'm not your bud, pal.

Lol, predictable response. It always gets to this weird point where the person who is offended they aren't being believed without proof questions your origin? That step never makes sense to me.

Yes, I'm from middle TN just west of Nashville just barely within cottonmouth range. I spent my formative years recreating in West and Middle TN, and occasionally in East - and my father was from Memphis then got a wildlife biology and fisheries ecology degree from UTK. I spent 4 years in Knoxville at the University of Tennessee earning my degree, where I spent every week on the water fishing from Nickajack to Norris or hiking in the mountains or plateau. Then I moved to Mississippi where I did two years earning my master's, doing fieldwork in the delta and spending my free time hunting and fishing on central and east MS public lands and waters. Now I live in Virginia, where I live just outside cottonmouth range. Again, where I spend any free time I have in the outdoors, because outdoor persuits is literally my life. I may have mentioned this before, but I was just published in the summer issue of a North American outdoors magazine.

Incredibly, I've easily seen cottonmouths within their documented range and never outside their documented range. Just like everyone else who's a herpetology expert.

Yes, I grew up here. Tennessee is my home, and I've flown the tristar and power T proudly wherever I've gone. Yes, I heard all the stories, myths, and rumors. Rumors, myths, and stories aren't evidence, and as I've already addressed the species we are talking about is the most misidentified species of snake on the planet. I've watched people I respect as outdoorsmen point to plain-bellied watersnakes and call them cottonmouths. I've watched people call queen snakes cottonmouths on Melton Hill, and common watersnakes cottonmouths on Douglas.

I've not once called you a liar. I don't think you're making it up. You 100% believe you saw a cottonmouth. I said you were in the least misinformed and would need to provide proof before being believed. That's how it works. I explained why it was so unlikely, statistically improbable if you will, that you saw what you thought you saw. Is there a chance? Yes. But you have to prove that to back it up. You simply cannot be believed by word alone because that's not how science works.

I don't claim to be smarter than you. But I do know, without a shadow of a doubt, that I am an expert in a handful of things because this is what I spend my life doing every day. I know more about this single subject than probably (because there might be another herpetologist somewhere in here) everyone on this board.

I would not be so foolish or arrogant as to think I knew more than you at the career you have. Because you're an expert in that work and I'm not.

The NCAA screwed up by not creating a system that satisfied the athletes before it reached the SCOTUS. Now that SCOTUS has ruled, there's not much the NCAA can do. They can't just call Spyre "boosters" because they want to. If Spyre is actually acting as a facilitator for NIL deals and events, the NCAA cannot call them "boosters". If they attempt to, I expect a lawsuit from Spyre. If they attempt to punish the university, I expect a lawsuit from the university. There is no violation of rules to be punished over. So for those that don't think Tennessee would do anything, let that sink in. THERE IS NO VIOLATION OF RULES TO BE PUNISHED OVER. Spyre is NOT a booster, and the NCAA cannot step in and declare they are and punish the university. SCOTUS opened Pandora's Box.

So people need to stop hyperventilating, worrying something bad is going to happen. The worst thing that could happen, and I hope it does not, and do not expect it to, is for one of the parties in the Nico agreement to get cold feet and nullify the agreement. Personally, I kind of think that's what the NCAA and some of these coaches and ADs speaking out are hoping for. They're rattling sabers, hoping to scare people. Hopefully all sides realize that.

If the NCAA folds I don't think sports end. Some smaller schools may close athletic departments, but I think the major conferences will just step up and run their show and decide rules on recruiting and punishment and such, then each sport will have it's own governing body for general on-field rules agreement (kinda like high school sports where the state is the big guy in charge) and organizing postseason competition.

So the NCAA may morph into the NCBA (basketball) because that's the one thing they were really good at. Football would be some alphabet agency that has zero teeth but hears rules suggestions every offseason and coordinates a playoff.
Absolutely won’t fail, matter of fact, may thrive

Reactions: SoilVol
Lol, predictable response. It always gets to this weird point where the person who is offended they aren't being believed without proof questions your origin? That step never makes sense to me.

Yes, I'm from middle TN just west of Nashville just barely within cottonmouth range. I spent my formative years recreating in West and Middle TN, and occasionally in East - and my father was from Memphis then got a wildlife biology and fisheries ecology degree from UTK. I spent 4 years in Knoxville at the University of Tennessee earning my degree, where I spent every week on the water fishing from Nickajack to Norris or hiking in the mountains or plateau. Then I moved to Mississippi where I did two years earning my master's, doing fieldwork in the delta and spending my free time hunting and fishing on central and east MS public lands and waters. Now I live in Virginia, where I live just outside cottonmouth range. Again, where I spend any free time I have in the outdoors, because outdoor persuits is literally my life. I may have mentioned this before, but I was just published in the summer issue of a North American outdoors magazine.

Incredibly, I've easily seen cottonmouths within their documented range and never outside their documented range. Just like everyone else who's a herpetology expert.

Yes, I grew up here. Tennessee is my home, and I've flown the tristar and power T proudly wherever I've gone. Yes, I heard all the stories, myths, and rumors. Rumors, myths, and stories aren't evidence, and as I've already addressed the species we are talking about is the most misidentified species of snake on the planet. I've watched people I respect as outdoorsmen point to plain-bellied watersnakes and call them cottonmouths. I've watched people call queen snakes cottonmouths on Melton Hill, and common watersnakes cottonmouths on Douglas.

I've not once called you a liar. I don't think you're making it up. You 100% believe you saw a cottonmouth. I said you were in the least misinformed and would need to provide proof before being believed. That's how it works. I explained why it was so unlikely, statistically improbable if you will, that you saw what you thought you saw. Is there a chance? Yes. But you have to prove that to back it up. You simply cannot be believed by word alone because that's not how science works.

I don't claim to be smarter than you. But I do know, without a shadow of a doubt, that I am an expert in a handful of things because this is what I spend my life doing every day. I know more about this single subject than probably (because there might be another herpetologist somewhere in here) everyone on this board.

I would not be so foolish or arrogant as to think I knew more than you at the career you have. Because you're an expert in that work and I'm not.
Nerd fight!!

If the NCAA folds I don't think sports end. Some smaller schools may close athletic departments, but I think the major conferences will just step up and run their show and decide rules on recruiting and punishment and such, then each sport will have it's own governing body for general on-field rules agreement (kinda like high school sports where the state is the big guy in charge) and organizing postseason competition.

So the NCAA may morph into the NCBA (basketball) because that's the one thing they were really good at. Football would be some alphabet agency that has zero teeth but hears rules suggestions every offseason and coordinates a playoff.

I could be wrong, we'll obviously find out over time. But there's really no existing model for what's happening in college sports right now. No draft, no contracts with the team, no employees, free agency, athletes paid by third parties, recruits paid by third parties, transfers paid by third parties, heavy turnover every season in sports that require cooperative teamwork, and little agreement about how to regulate any of it. And to top all of that off, the new athletes are immature, coming straight out of high school with an overly large ego in many cases. IMO only, this is likely to fail in multiple spectacular ways.

Reactions: SoilVol
@Enki_Amenra I really don't want to do this all night. But you're putting a lot of words in my mouth and painting me as someone I'm not, doing things I'm not. Even going so far as to question whether or not I'm a Tennessean (which is pretty bold because we are on a Vols forum where 99% of us are or have been Tennesseans).

As I scientist, I cannot believe your word alone and its very unlikely what you claimed is true. I say that as a subject-matter expert. I am not calling you a liar.

I don't think you're a dumb redneck, and I never said that. I'm a proud hillbilly/redneck myself that became a scientist. I don't think I'm smarter than everyone else. I know what I know and what I'm an expert in.

I probably won't say more unless this just continues with unnecessary vitriol.

I’ve got an update. So, they cancelled our surgery for tomorrow because they don’t have enough beds to keep her overnight the next few nights. So it is moved to next Tuesday. I appreciate all the love and prayers and would love for them to continue until her surgery next week and will post updates when I can. Much love to all!

Praying for you and the family @Wickman

I could be wrong, we'll obviously find out over time. But there's really no existing model for what's happening in college sports right now. No draft, no contracts with the team, no employees, free agency, athletes paid by third parties, recruits paid by third parties, transfers paid by third parties, heavy turnover every season in sports that require cooperative teamwork, and little agreement about how to regulate any of it. And to top all of that off, the new athletes are immature, coming straight out of high school with an overly large ego in many cases. IMO only, this is likely to fail in multiple spectacular ways.
I could see it being similar to European soccer where the universities exist as the clubs and an education is part of their package. Though it would be interesting to see if that turns into the universities being able to trade players...

Reactions: captainfalcon777
Absolutely won’t fail, matter of fact, may thrive
I am over it all. At this point I just want a even playing field with the Chosen 4-5 programs who have paid whatever they wanted and did whatever tbey wanted while everybody else that tries gets punished...not to mention the rigged favorable officiating.

Either make it fair, or burn it all to the f'n ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back