Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plus I’m just out of options. I don’t want to deliver packages for $15 an hour or work an entry level QA job for $14 an hour for the rest of my life. I got a worthless degree, made my bed, time to sleep in it.

That isn’t to say I’m not passionate about history, I am. I love it. I just don’t love the rigid curriculum I’ll be forced to teach by the state based on nothing more than indoctrination rather than facts. And that will be what ends my career in the only field I can manage a career in.

Law school. Do it.

I think Rick nueheisel said it best on his podcast today. In order to compete in today’s college football a university should hire a GM with 15-20 assistants to work on nothing but the best NIL deals for the student athletes. He said that’s the only way teams like Tennessee and Nebraska will ever close the gap between the elite teams.

Wayyyyy over saturated market. I know people who went to law school that are bartenders right now.

Sounds like they are just not very good at being attorneys. I know a few attorneys and they make a buttload of money. Gotta be good at whatever you do. Good attorneys just make a lot more money than good history teachers.

Sounds like they are just not very good at being attorneys. I know a few attorneys and they make a buttload of money. Gotta be good at whatever you do. Good attorneys just make a lot more money than good history teachers.
I’ve been directed towards law school my entire life. I’d want to be in constitutional law, but the thought of working and living in DC makes me feel gross.

Not sure if you got any good responses on this. I don’t have time to really keep up with the thread like I used to. But I will chime in with some opinions from an amateur since I’m procrastinating on some work and can kind of geek out on this stuff.

Yes, there has been speculation that the housing market will take a hit short term. There has been a federal moratorium on foreclosures in response to COVID, but that is set to expire soon. Some people believe that will lead to a short-term decline in housing prices as those foreclosed properties hit the market and increase the available inventory, and of course if things get really crazy with political upheaval, economy crashing, global warming running rampant, pandemic getting much worse, etc., all bets are off. But my amateur guess is that none of those things will result in a worst case scenario and any drop in prices will be short lived.

One of the biggest reasons I say this is that, in general, the rate of new housing construction is not keeping up with population growth and movement patterns, which is a big reason prices keep going up. We essentially have more and more people competing for fewer and fewer available homes (especially in the “hot” markets). One thing you can look at is how that is trending in your specific area. That should give you a better idea of what local prices are likely to do in the future (at least short to mid term).

The price of materials and labor has also increased significantly in recent months, and that trend does not seem to be slowing regardless of anything that may happen with foreclosures. Maybe material prices start to trend down if we ever get really clear of COVID, but I think higher labor costs are here to stay. My guess is that these factors continue to press prices higher for new construction or at least that we see a plateau rather than a decline.

Trying to time the market is nearly impossible though. It really could go either way just because there are so many factors at play. One plus of buying right now is that interest rates are still very low. I think a lot of first-time home buyers don’t realize how much low interest rates can save them over the life of a mortgage (I certainly didn’t). Interest rates are likely to increase in the next 2-5 years as the federal reserve is expected to go back to raising rates incrementally.

The risk of buying now and having prices drop later is that you end up owing more on the house than it’s worth and/or that you end up having to sell it at a loss. If you only expect to be in the house short term, that may be a risk that’s not worth taking. However, if you’re planning to be there long term, you will probably be able to ride out any bumps in the market and come out ahead.

The risk in waiting is that maybe the market troubles never come (or are minimal or short lived) so prices continue to rise while interest rates also increase. Then you end up paying more on both ends when you eventually do decide to buy.

My experience having bought a couple of homes now is that renters pay more for less. You can get a nicer home for a lower monthly rate if you buy. We bought our current house (my 2nd house buying experience) last winter after renting for a couple of years because of some extenuating circumstances. The house we now own is almost twice the size of the place we were renting (both in the same city). Our new place is in a nicer neighborhood with better schools and a much bigger yard. But here’s the kicker: it’s also cheaper each month than the place we were renting. Having a rainy day fund on hand is important for repairs, but even taking repairs into account, it has been cheaper for me to own than rent (though there has certainly been some luck involved in that as well). Aside from that, getting significant equity in a home is one of the biggest keys to creating financial security and generational wealth for those of us who don’t earn huge salaries.

Speaking only of my own personal experience, the only regret I have about buying a house is that I didn’t do it sooner. I was in my early 30s when I pulled the trigger. Thinking of all the rent I paid in my 20s just about makes me sick. The way I see it now is that every month of rent paid is a loss on future returns.

I lived in the first house I bought for several years, but when I moved out, I kept it as a rental property. I paid $75k for it in 2013. It’s now worth $190k. I pay $420 a month for the mortgage, insurance, and property tax and get $1,200 a month in rent. Between the renter and the owner, I think it’s pretty clear who’s coming out ahead.

I’ll also add that while it’s true that for most of us a house is the biggest investment we will ever make, it’s also a home. In buying our current house, which we plan to live in for a very long time, my attitude was that I wanted to find something we really liked and that was well within our means. We achieved that. We’re happy here, and we can comfortably afford the monthly payments. With that said, I really don’t worry about the market dropping because we’re in a good place (both physically and financially) for our family.

I guess, in conclusion, I would say that it’s much more important to get the timing right for you and your family than it is to time the market perfectly. And as professional investors will tell you, timing the market is a fool’s game. Over the long haul, time in the market (meaning the number of years you’re investing and building equity) is more important than timing the market.

Sorry for the ridiculously long response. No one will probably ever read it, but good luck in your search.
This is a thoughtful response - I’m in real estate and agree with all the points you made. I would add that buyers are putting a lot more cash down than previously. This is also an indicator that, while prices may dip a bit or level out, I don’t see a steep drop like we saw previously.

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
Prayers. Amazing that he dedicates his life to The LORD and God grants you all with a job not only right when you need it, but also helps deliver him from that temptation a bit. Our Father is amazing.
And he got a $2 raise, better insurance, and an hour less driving each day! Also gave him a dream where he said he was drinking and ran out so he went to get more. When he got there he fell down and couldn't move. He said people were walking and talking all around him, and he heard a voice asking if that is what he wanted. Said he woke up in a cold sweat. Yes, He is amazing with amazing grace.

Oh boy! I can’t wait to rock some Velus Jones merch!!!

I can see it now:

“Nice shirt dad!”

“Thanks son! Remember that wide receiver who averaged 19 yards a kick off and who ended his senior season with 20 receptions for 180 yards and 1 touchdown?”

“No. Not really.”

“Yeah, well, it’s from his clothing line!”

Hey, y'all...hope no one has killed anyone else since last Saturday! I've been on a roller coaster with my hubby. After Labor Day trying unsuccessfully to quit drinking, he used a vacation day for Tuesday then missed Wednesday, too. Wednesday night he prayed for salvation. Went to work Thursday. They fired him Friday because he sent a message instead of calling. He has done it before so they were just tired of the missing. So he had to drink Friday after a struggle. He called someone Monday and had an interview Tuesday and starts Monday. They are working so much OT he won't have time to drink. God has put the ball in his court. I would appreciate prayers for both of us. I am exhausted. I don't even like roller coasters. @nicksjuzunk could you give me the website again please? He may be ready to listen now.

Love you all! Can't even think about football right now though.
Sending Prayers

I relate to that. I’m the same with drinking, hardly ever drink due to the fact that my uncle (who I was closest to) died of cirrhosis of the liver. You’re right it does change your perspective.

I find it funny how I get some **** on here cause I’m open about smoking marijuana, but it’s confuses the hell out of me because at least I’m doing something that won’t kill me or give me lasting side effects. I’ve smoked for 15+ years and haven’t had a single issue with my lungs.

Also, I was kidding as well, I don’t smoke anything nicotine.
Society is so brainwashed when it comes to alcohol, it's so deeply ingrained and accepted. "Wine o clock"..."mommy juice" all that crap.

Literally the only drug where you have to have an excuse as to why you're not taking it around others that are taking it.

Favorite class I ever had at UT was constitutional law. I regret not going to law school.
Do you remember the professor's name at UT? Think I took that class too (or a different, but very similar one). I just remember it was after all the FISA stuff...lots of interesting material in that class.

Business law is very interesting too. That said, would never want to be an attorney. Those folks have some really awful health markers, along with mental health issues, depression, high rates of suicide, and substance abuse. Not worth it iyam.

Reactions: captainfalcon777
Hey, y'all...hope no one has killed anyone else since last Saturday! I've been on a roller coaster with my hubby. After Labor Day trying unsuccessfully to quit drinking, he used a vacation day for Tuesday then missed Wednesday, too. Wednesday night he prayed for salvation. Went to work Thursday. They fired him Friday because he sent a message instead of calling. He has done it before so they were just tired of the missing. So he had to drink Friday after a struggle. He called someone Monday and had an interview Tuesday and starts Monday. They are working so much OT he won't have time to drink. God has put the ball in his court. I would appreciate prayers for both of us. I am exhausted. I don't even like roller coasters. @nicksjuzunk could you give me the website again please? He may be ready to listen now.

Oda,

First, sorry to hear all of that, ugh.

Meant to post this weeks ago, but please shoot me an email when ya get a second.

DevoDevo182@gmail.com. Thanks!

(Wouldn't have to do this if @frank would just give us messaging 😪)

Last edited:

As long as there is breath, there is hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back