Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
15 TDs to 6 INTs vs 20 TDs vs 3 INTs

Unless QB2 has a bunch of fumbles I'd take QB 2. Seems more than capable to throw the ball (likely gets less opportunities because of how good of an athlete they are) and 5 more TDs with 3 less INTs could be the difference in winning a few games and losing them.

1 - Milton

2 - Jimmy Calloway

Our depth charts have had Byron Young on them since the beginning and he hasn't even dressed for a game yet.

(they don't mean anything and are basically useless)

For the record, I want Hooker to start. He may not have an ICBM arm, but I do think he has the ability to keep drives alive, which benefits our defense, and gives us a better chance to win on the whole.

Reactions: MoCo_Vol
He needs to dominate and give Florida something to worry about. No need to double team or keep a safety back if he can't hit the throws. They will sit on the short routes all day.
Totally agree. He is the only QB that could actually cause defenses to play stretched.

otherwise, we are a very easy team to play and defend. especially in the red zone.

Reactions: rekinhavoc
FOr sure.

I would have thought too that Milton with his size would have dominated the run game as a QB in HS.

This proves out a little that he is a soft runner.

Apparently, Jimmy Holiday's senior stats were

1020 passing, 64%, 9 TD to 4 Int's. 1400 rushing yards and 21 TD's. That's Lamar Jackson like lol

Thanks. Wasn't fishing for validation, just disgusted with fan overreactions. Best staff that's been here since Lord knows when. Fans need to suck it up and get behind them.
I’m right there with you. I think most are, but loud voices repeated over and over tend to be heard more than ours.

Mighty Milton
Hooker Who?
Anybody but Bailey

People have drawn lines and dug into absolutes. We have three QBs with different skillsets, all have things to work on and none are where we need them to be. They all have good days, okay days and bad days in practice, and they're all works in progress.

This narrative that Milton has dazzled in practice while Bailey is awful and Hooker is meh-- I haven't talked to anybody around the program or who watches practice who says that. Not sure why people are so invested in building one guy up, tearing another guy down and ignoring or discounting the capabilities of the third, when all three bring something to the table. The coaches are developing all of them, all are competing, nobody has a bad attitude and everybody wants to contribute and win. We may need all three of them, so I'm rooting for all of them-- and hope they all get better fast.
Thank you LA

The penalties that really hurt vs Pitt were the Banks personal foul that instead of a punt they score a TD. Mays personal foul after a Miltons big run kills potential TD instead we get a FG. Burrell DPI led to a TD instead of a stop. Wright helmet removal led to a backed up kickoff which normally you pay for but luckily we got a stop. False starts are annoying but this offense has no problem with popping big plays to overcome a five yard penalty. It’s the 15 yard penalties that kill
The false start was crippling inside the five after Milton's big run.

Agree, wonder if Heupel has considered the Spurrier approach of rotating QBs from play to play. With this bunch it might actually work ok.

He said a while back that they might get creative, possibly create packages that capitalize on certain skillsets. IDT he's been any more specific than that-- and wouldn't really expect him to be.

When I first got on here, I had the arrogant idea that I could offer some perspective. Not possible. Gradually getting on here less and less. Retiring from coaching football and wrestling and teaching math in HS this year after 37 years. Will go back to just enjoying watching College minus the drama as well.
The main issue IMO is the end result of many bad hires. They've all been bad for many different reasons, too much to go into there. The fanbase's problem is they see the issues, and therefore the solutions strictly through the lens of recent errors.

What we need is stability, a competent coach to build a program and culture. It's going to take at least 5 years to achieve this. We aren't going to compete for championships or even the conference in that time. But we have to stay the course.

In retrospect I think it best we didn't hire someone like Franklin. He'd see the issues here internally and be gone to USC leaving us in a predicament. I believe Heupel wants to be here, I believe he trusts his boss and in this business that goes a long way. I think he may very well have been the best hire in this situation given the variables.

Reactions: barrylee
Just curious, who are y’all taking at QB between these two options? (Based on HS senior year stats)

QB1 - 1317 passing yards, 50%, 10 TD’s to 6 Int’s. 262 rushing yards and 5 TD’s.

QB2 - 771 passing yards, 60%, 6 TD’s to 3 Int’s. 512 rushing yards and 12 TD’s. 226 receiving yards and 2 TD’s
If I am a college coach that doesn't want to get fired, I am choosing my starting QB without ANY attachment to stats from high school. That is stupid.

He said a while back that they might get creative, possibly create packages that capitalize on certain skillsets. IDT he's been any more specific than that-- and wouldn't really expect him to be.
I was told I couldn’t tell one of our packages…. We will see if it comes out against Florida.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back