Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think she's still the GOAT. Just disappointed she did not fight through it. There might be other stuff going on, who knows? I think the coaches had no idea and were floored by it.

I feel about like you and I personally don't think I would have made the decision she did but I've also never been a world class athlete under that amount of pressure. No issue with people questioning but putting her down bothers me.

And if that is the reason? Does that negate her career and greatness?

I'm disappointed she didn't kick ass but I have nothing but respect and compassion for her. But I forgot today's young people are the only generation who have ever made a decision to quit....man, that Roberto Duran guy must have been an epic vagine considering everyone pre-millenial other than him never quit anything, ever.
And he has been made fun of for 30+ years because he quit

I think she's still the GOAT. Just disappointed she did not fight through it. There might be other stuff going on, who knows? I think the coaches had no idea and were floored by it.
Most definitely more things going on. She's literally the only person left on the team that was abused. But yet...ShEs sO WeAk.

I thought people on here had daughters. The total lack of empathy for such an individual's situation is appalling.

10 in one year would probably set you back to a point that would be tough to recover from over a short period. Obviously, I'm not the poster you quoted, so I can't say for sure, but my guess he was embellishing just a bit. I'm not sure how you could deny that 10 in one year wouldn't be a pretty crushing blow.

As stated, it goes against the 85, so not as drastic as it sounds.

Most definitely more things going on. She's literally the only person left on the team that was abused. But yet...ShEs sO WeAk.

I thought people on here had daughters. The total lack of empathy for such an individual's situation is appalling.
If you are struggling so bad with something you don’t wear something like this and then flake on the biggest stage and not expect some flak. You are basically begging for all the attention.D7014827-6BD6-40BD-A8BB-65A437E65FFF.jpeg

Assume the Vols are 14-0. They've identified the clear starting QB in Brian Maurer, who has kicked azz all season. I'm sure it would be OK for Brian to decide to sit out that national championship game because he is not in a good head space from something that happened in his life a number of years ago and which he had already overcome to win many big games afterwards.

Bunch of betas in here. She quit on her team. The mental issues did not just happen this week. Bow out before the Olympic trials. Give somebody else the opportunity to help the team's chances to win the ultimate.

10 in one year would probably set you back to a point that would be tough to recover from over a short period. Obviously, I'm not the poster you quoted, so I can't say for sure, but my guess he was embellishing just a bit. I'm not sure how you could deny that 10 in one year wouldn't be a pretty crushing blow.

2021 is the year for a (10) scholarship reduction and we'll be fine

It does negate her career and greatness. If you want to call yourself the goat and even embroider it on your uniform then you have to be able to handle the pressure.

Pretty sure she has handled a ridiculous amount of pressure every time she has gone out and competed.....up there alone, with all eyes on her. I'm no expert on gymnastics but people who are knowledgeable have said said she is the GOAT prior to this Olympics.

And she freaking got abused during her career...a career that mostlytook place as a teenager! It's a little different circumstance than playing a professional team sport as an adult. How can anyone doubt her mental/emotional toughness!?

Whatever, I just choose to appreciate her greatness and not focus on her final Olympics being disappointing. The majority of great athlete's careers don't end on a high note.

Regarding the 85 limit, the seniors that came back for their 2nd senior year don’t count against it. So we could actually be at 75 plus however many of those seniors. I think Locklear, V Jones, George, Pope, Butler, Bumpus, J Payton, Tremblay, Theo Jackson, and Blakely off the top of my head. So we could take the penalty and still have enough bodies.

Last edited:
Reactions: HalfullVol
Pretty sure she has handled a ridiculous amount of pressure every time she has gone out and competed.....up there alone, with all eyes on her. I'm no expert on gymnastics but people who are knowledgeable have said said she is the GOAT prior to this Olympics.

And she freaking got abused during her career...a career that mostlytook place as a teenager! It's a little different circumstance than playing a professional team sport as an adult. How can anyone doubt her mental/emotional toughness!?

Whatever, I just choose to appreciate her greatness and not focus on her final Olympics being disappointing. The majority of great athlete's careers don't end on a high note.
She probably still is the best to ever to do it. But you have to admit what she did today won’t leave a good taste in her mouth and everyone will remember her walking out on her team.

Big kudos to the other three girls though. They are the ones that had to be mentally strong to hold it together when their leader walked out on them.

She probably still is the best to ever to do it. But you have to admit what she did today won’t leave a good taste in her mouth and everyone will remember her walking out on her team.

Big kudos to the other three girls though. They are the ones that had to be mentally strong to hold it together when their leader walked out on them.
Yep those 3 girls making silver should be the story not Biles

I think the hate for Simone on here tonight is pathetic. She is a lovely young lady who has represented the USA fantastically, put herself in the conversation for the greatest ever, has a move named after her that nobody else has ever been able to do and has done it all while being a victim of abuse.

Nobody knows what caused her to quit the team competition but judging her on her worst moment isn't fair. Mary Lou Retton couldn't come close to doing what she does and people are saying "she's no Mary Lou". Wow. Show some compassion for an all time great athlete who probably just went through one of the toughest moments of her life.

I don't see any hate for her.

She was set up by the media and set herself up as the greatest gymnast of all time. She talked it up and so did everyone else.

When she quit I will bet that two things happened: Number 1, she cost herself millions of dollars. If I were a corporate sponsor there is no way I want her on my box of Wheaties. Number 2, she will never, ever get over the embarrassment of what this does to her career and reputation. I don't wish anything bad for her, but when you spend your whole life leading everyone to think this is your moment and then you say, "oh, never mind" people are going to look at you as either a quitter or a drama queen, just like Naomi Osaka.

Then just say you are different and we will agree to disagree on this

Of course I'm different as we all are. Main thing that apparently is different is I don't get my kicks by tearing people down....especially world class athletes who are performing at a level I never could.

Just because I've continued plays sports with a broken humerus, spitting teeth and blood and and a cracked radius that requires surgery doesn't mean that it compares to what professionals handle in pressure. Just means that my pain receptors don't always know when something is broken and pain threshold is high enough to keep going when I probably shouldn't.

I've also never had to compete in a sport in which I was molested by a coach and the whole world knows about it and is watching. If owning being the goat helped Simone get past trauma then good for her

I agree with your first point but I think it's mostly between her and her teammates. Fans will feel how they feel....just some of the comments struck a nerve for reasons I won't say because they aren't fair assumptions to make about certain posters.

Probably best I call it a night. I have had a lot of women in my life who have been been abused and I also have a young daughter so I tend to get a little aggressive over criticism for young women

Sorry @Catbone @gainesvol82 may not be a good wingman right now

Funny. I could just let @Catbone borrow my wedding ring and call an Uber to take him to Gainesville. He'd get laid by a bunch of hot coeds that get turned on by a guy who is taken while I sit on the couch and finish watching Hell's Kitcen with my daughter and rage posting on VN about people criticizing Simone 😁

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back