Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Relegation like the premier league? Dooley, Butch, and Pruitt would have had us relegated to the SoCon by now...

Everyone is tired of seeing the same 4 teams in the playoffs. Adding to the SEC isn't helping. It just means that OSU and Clemson continue to have an easy schedule while the SEC kills each other to get in.

Here's how you create parity:

Take the top 12 ranked preseason teams, and put them in their own conference. They play each other. The winner of that conference goes to the playoffs. Everyone else simply plays in their own conference. The winner of those conferences also go to the playoffs. It's fair and it creates parity. Even in that top conference teams would rotate in and out.

I'd much rather see something like that than something as stupid as expansion of the SEC. The SEC is basically the NFL at that point and the other conferences are high school leagues

Reactions: RiotVol
Some of my best memories were 88-92.

All those guys were absolute class. Calvin is one of nicest guys on Earth, and doesnt have to be. Same for Greg, Marty, Alvin, Trazell, Jerry, and Keith. Never saw those guys turn down an autograph.

Hate to say get off my lawn here and people can argue all day. There is def a difference between that generation and now.

It's such a part of my childhood and brings back such incredible memories. Going to NCAA to see them nearly best GA Tech. To this day I still take my little girls! So much fun.
When I was at APSU then, my GF was from Greeneville. We went over to JC to see them play a couple times that season. Ahhhhhhh the Mini Dome! Damn that was a great team.

Sure thing pal. TN, currently struggling to beat SC and Mizzou, would have no problem playing that schedule every year. You're nuts if you want that. The winner of the SEC would be the best, and it would continue to be bama/Ga/LSU/Fl who the SEC will protect while screwing us.
It's bad for us. There is no doubt about it. But we will make a lot of money to get stuck in the middle.

It would also create a lot of good SEC matchups outside of the Tennessee game each week.

Another thing to think about would be recruiting. Sure, a kid can make it to the NFL from any team in any conference, but if Texas and OU join the SEC, it just further tells kids if you want to play for championships in college, this is where you come.

Reactions: Dudley Smith
It's bad for us. There is no doubt about it. But we will make a lot of money to get stuck in the middle.

It would also create a lot of good SEC matchups outside of the Tennessee game each week.
I'm not making any money off of it. I want to win. Being a middle of the pack SEC team forever does nothing for me.

Sure thing pal. TN, currently struggling to beat SC and Mizzou, would have no problem playing that schedule every year. You're nuts if you want that. The winner of the SEC would be the best, and it would continue to be bama/Ga/LSU/Fl who the SEC will protect while screwing us.
We have screwed ourselves way more than the SEC has screwed us...

Oh yeah @Bassmaster_Vol so turned out it was the transmission and I got Nissan to pay for 50% of the replacement even though it was already out of warranty so lucked out there. Only 2k instead of 4k to fix 😂
Then you've got 2k to throw in with me for Branson and Nolen!

Having a hard time keeping Southeastern if it's not going to be. Having a real hard time with Clemson and OSU getting a free pass.

Here's to hoping FSU, Miami, and Michigan can put dents into their armour.

tenor.gif

Reactions: cHiZzLeVOL
Personally...I think for football at least there should be a 12 team cap for conferences.

Big 12 = 12 teams
Big 10 = 10 or 12 teams
Pac 12 = 12 teams
ACC = 12 teams
SEC = 12 teams

If you're shuffling around you can put some legit powerhouse teams in those 5 spots. They play 9 conference games instead of 8 and you have the championship game. Sure some years one conference will be down more than others, but short of limiting yourself to 32 total teams (like the NFL) you really can't force "equal ground" in college sports.

I know the SEC is the money cow conference, we unlike the other Power 5 schools are competitive in every major sport (Football/Baseball/Basketball) at the national title level on a yearly basis. But if you shuffle the Power 5 to basically insert 4 or so "potential" playoff teams (in football at least) into each conference it would help distribute the money coming in on it's own.

Fanbases don't just stop following their teams because of their conference. So even if you just looked at it purely from money pull you can reshuffle and each conference would be able to prop up themselves financially a bit easier because of it.

But where we're really heading is the Power 5 becoming the Power 3 and someone (Pac 12 or Big 12) ends up getting left out as their "big boys" leave for greener pastures.

Reactions: Devo182
Oh yeah @Bassmaster_Vol so turned out it was the transmission and I got Nissan to pay for 50% of the replacement even though it was already out of warranty so lucked out there. Only 2k instead of 4k to fix 😂
My parents' Nissan transmission is dying at 85k miles, 5k miles past warranty. That company has to be the worst at making transmissions in history. How'd you get them to go in half with you?

Wouldn’t be surprised if the QB battle goes into week 1 vs Bowling Green.
Posting this 36 pages later, but What CJH said at SEC Media Days was that the team has to know "that's our guy" with respect to the QB position. My thought is it's decided in the middle of camp (what an idea!) and they roll with it from there.

It goes in cycles. We’ve had everything but the right coach. If Heupel is the one we’ll be just fine no matter the schedule. If he’s not the one the schedule is irrelevant.

Just do it already.

P5 schools, plus a few others, form thier own "division"
Let the TV companies bid for rights and split the money.

If you suck, you drop down to G5 and have to play your way back in. Top G5 move up!

Reactions: Rishvol
When I was at APSU then, my GF was from Greeneville. We went over to JC to see them play a couple times that season. Ahhhhhhh the Mini Dome! Damn that was a great team.
ETSU & App State, as well as UTC had some incredible games through the years. It wasnt until Stanton left that Brian Noland started making needed upgrades to facilities, including an agreement to renovate Freedom Hall - the offsite Public Forum, which, is decked out in Buc's regalia. It's truly perfect place to watch basketball.

Women's softball fields, football stadium, new dormitories, soccer, baseball. Still Omnipresent is the tin can. App State generates revenue through concerts, and events. App State is now a Division 1 school. It's inexcusable to not have a decent on Campus basketball facility. If the excuse is money, then why build an effing Performing Arts center that no one will ever see because your policy of no concerts wont allow it? 🤦🏼‍♂️

I'm not making any money off of it. I want to win. Being a middle of the pack SEC team forever does nothing for me.
I am with you 100%. But the increase in revenue is a big deal and every SEC AD outside of Texas A&M will sign up for this. The train is already down the track.

It kills Tennessee football, at least in a traditional sense. We used to be the second-best program in the conference. Now we're 8th-10th. We might compete once every 5 years if everything goes right, but we're basically going to have to get used to being Ole Miss. Great traditions, big fanbase, but not really playing for anything on Saturdays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back