Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
No way he is still a 1st rounder after an ACL tear
Wasn't an ACL tear. Congenital Cervical fusion. It was a neck defect he was born with and had surgically repaired. Discovered after he suffered a stinger in practice. He's yet to be fully cleared. He has his final appointment to decide whether he will be cleared in June.

Read an article about UGA looking at getting some guys from the portal. Listed number one was Arik Gilbert. Apparently they've not given up hope on getting him back in the state. They also listed the CB from Clemson that's in the portal. Said he deserved a second chance. Hell, I'd be willing to give him a second chance here, too.

R5c63209df8e1129c7a41dc1020ada9c3

Read an article about UGA looking at getting some guys from the portal. Listed number one was Arik Gilbert. Apparently they've not given up hope on getting him back in the state. They also listed the CB from Clemson that's in the portal. Said he deserved a second chance. Hell, I'd be willing to give him a second chance here, too.
I could certainly see all of that happening for UGA. But the intra conference transfer rule is still up in the air. I am glad that so far the Vols haven't been affected that way because the only intra conference transfer we have taken is Ja. Payton and he is a grad transfer (so he is automatically eligible). Now Justin Powell for basketball could be affected. It will be interesting to see how that will be voted at the spring meetings.

The roster is going through a transition that needed to go as quickly as possible. The NCAA did us a accidental favor and made it easier with the transfer rule and adding the extra year of eligibility for COVID. We will look back at this in a few years and be very happy they did along with the immediate restructuring of the roster/system by Coach Heup. New broom sweeps clean. It is the only way to go when you are rebuilding from the bottom with a new system and new leadership. That's why I could care less T-Bron is not a Vol. He proved he never really was, just a mercenary looking out for himself. I'm chapped over him choosing to disrespect the real T and his teammates (even if some are too stupid to understand it) by going to their historical arch rival. But even that affliction is temporary. Henry will get whatever is coming to him and so will we.

Basketball and baseball have already done it and are now in the elite national discussion with Barnes and Voltello. Time for football to go there. That makes Heup a legit candidate as a future Vol legend of the game just like Barnes and Voltello in my book. Enjoy the ride, it's OK to be happy as a Vol fan again.

No way he is still a 1st rounder after an ACL tear

Obviously things can change over the next year from a production standpoint and cause his draft stock to fall, but an ACL tear is far from an indictment on being a first round pick - this year alone:

Caleb Farley was picked 22nd this year with an ACL tear and multiple back surgeries.

Landon Dickerson was picked 37th after two ACL surgeries and two ankle surgeries. (Yes, I know it's not the first round, but it's five picks into the second round and he plays a non-premium position, so very few centers are drafted that high)

Other notable (non-acl tear injuries):

Jaelen Phillips, who is like one concussion away from having to retire, was picked 18th.

Greg Newsome missed 20 games his first frosh and soph year due to various injuries before being drafted 26th after his junior season.

While not ACLs, there's plenty of other first round picks in this draft class that had season-ending injuries (fractured ankle/feet), heck some didn't even play last year due to opt-outs.

Point is, if you're talented enough, injury history does not prevent you from being a first round pick.

Obviously things can change over the next year from a production standpoint and cause his draft stock to fall, but an ACL tear is far from an indictment on being a first round pick - this year alone:

Caleb Farley was picked 22nd this year with an ACL tear and multiple back surgeries.

Landon Dickerson was picked 37th after two ACL surgeries and two ankle surgeries. (Yes, I know it's not the first round, but it's five picks into the second round and he plays a non-premium position, so very few centers are drafted that high)

Other notable (non-acl tear injuries):

Jaelen Phillips, who is like one concussion away from having to retire, was picked 18th.

Greg Newsome missed 20 games his first frosh and soph year due to various injuries before being drafted 26th after his junior season.

While not ACLs, there's plenty of other first round picks in this draft class that had season-ending injuries (fractured ankle/feet), heck some didn't even play last year due to opt-outs.

Point is, if you're talented enough, injury history does not prevent you from being a first round pick.

He didn’t have a torn ACL anyway. That’s bad info

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back