Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a hot take. Has been one of the best players all spring. Also built like a soviet war tank.

He looked good. I think he'll eat this year on offense. We ran the play that Florida has always killed us. The one where they fake the spread run to the left, have the TE drag below the LOS to the right, and have the QB roll right for that dump off/run

Seems even worse than that
Gosh, imagine going back to 2008, when the calls for firing Fulmer were at their most feverish, and showing them these numbers. Imagine knowing in 2008 what Tennessee football was about to be reduced to. We had no idea.

But as I always like to say: cheer up, for the worst is yet to come.

Got it. That could be slightly misleading.

Bailey was our best QB last year by leaps and bounds, so it makes sense his yards per attempt number is higher than the other QBs. He was flat out better.

I'm not sure it assuages all the questions about how he fits in Heupel's system.
y/a of 17 is crazy. No way anyone can maintain that in any system. Mac Jones led the NCAA last year at 11.2, which is still pretty phenomenal. Deshaun Watson led the NFL at 8.9.

Seems even worse than that

Agree

I don’t think any of the other traditional SEC powers have had a stretch that bad in at least the last 50+ years

Bama was bad in the late 90s and early 00s, but still played for SEC titles and had 10 win seasons every few years - looked more like modern day Florida than UT...

We’ve been completely irrelevant since Fulmer left...

A couple of things, and you can take me at my word or dismiss me as making it all up, which would be weird.

Bailey and his family were very upset that Pruitt was fired. As his dad said when the rumors were running rampant, "we signed with Tennessee because of Jeremy Pruitt." They were assured by Fulmer that Pruitt was going to be fine multiple times - we know how that story ended. They were going to enter the portal at that time, but figured he should stay in school and complete the Spring semester before making a decision. I think that was smart, and what guys like Crouch and Henry should have done.

As @Bassmaster_Vol posted above, Bailey has not been totally consistent this spring. There were times he was running with the 3rd string behind Hooker and Maurer. He showed out in the Spring game, absolutely, but I don't think it was totally representative of how he performed throughout Spring ball or where he stands in the pecking order. The VQ guys have been adamant that if the season started today, Hooker would be the starter. You can tell me they're wrong on this, but I don't think they are.

There's a reason why Heupel was so desperate to bring Milton in - someone far from a polished product or a sure thing. Simply put, he doesn't like what he has at the position. And I believe he is preparing for one or two of them to leave on their own.
Respectfully disagree about most of it, except the first paragraph. I do agree they were upset. No QB has been consistent and the VQ guys see very limited reps. Not sure if I would call Heupel "desperate" but he definitely wanted to bring someone in. I do believe one or more will leave, just far from convinced that one of them is Bailey.

Why Bailey?
Tbf it's been a common thread of a rumor since Pruitt left. Tifwiwwagos but a 247 poster, which a couple posters have vouched for, says he's pulled back to maybe not transferring. 50/50 he last said.

I don't usually pay much attention to such rumors, but when it is on every site and continually popping up, it feels like those rumors usually have something to them...like Pruitt's indiscretions spreading back in December...Toots rumors, Phil rumors, and so on. Probably not a mere coincidence or empty rumor at this point, if I had to guess. Hopefully he sticks it out, though.

Agree

I don’t think any of the other traditional SEC powers have had a stretch that bad in at least the last 50+ years

Bama was bad in the late 90s and early 00s, but still played for SEC titles and had 10 win seasons every few years - looked more like modern day Florida than UT...

We’ve been completely irrelevant since Fulmer left...
We were top 10 for like 2 or 3 weeks. And once upon a time in 2016 had the East "locked up"...and were a mere FG from Atlanta in 2015.

I'd say mostly irrelevant, but 2 of the last 13 years we at least had a voice and should have made a wave...albeit we didn't in the end.

We'll be fully making waves under Hype in 3 years. We won't be letting up after that. Not 100% he's Neo, but he's dang sure at least Trinity.

If he wins the job, then the future is here now. Honestly the best possible outcome if he walks in and just crushes the competition. Minimum 3 years of elite play, if such an unlikely thing were to occur.
That is true.

Especially considering how good the QB's looked in the spring game (relatively speaking)

I fully anticipate getting some good transfers in the portal and having a decent year by all accounts - nothing alarmingly good, but progress and fun to watch.

Then in year 2, I fully anticipate the QB position to be solid and this team exceeding expectations only to be on a bowl ban.

It's the way it is meant to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back