Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t really care because it’s mostly subjective. But we have a better resume than several teams higher than a 7 seed.
UT has impressive wins over Arkansas and Kansas (both home games), but they have some really ugly losses as well. I think a 7 seed is about right (a 6-seed on the high side).

Reactions: Smokey19rt
Still disagree. BK averaged a double double his entire Vol career. We can agree to disagree on this.
King was without a doubt a special basketball player. I remember his time at UT very well and the special treatment that was given to him because if his talent. He was caught, red handed, "taking" video equipment from the office and was never punished. Coach had team rules and King rules :):). If someone would have held him accountable, he may have viewed women differently and had a more productive career in the NBA.

Reactions: TennacJed
NBA might be the most irrelevant pro sport out there right now

The NHL says hold my beer. NBA consistently ranks only behind NFL in viewership. I personally don’t like the style the NBA plays now, but it’s still the most popular professional basketball league on the planet.

King was without a doubt a special basketball player. I remember his time at UT very well and the special treatment that was given to him because if his talent. He was caught, red handed, "taking" video equipment from the office and was never punished. Coach had team rules and King rules :):). If someone would have held him accountable, he may have viewed women differently and had a more productive career in the NBA.
Not sure what you are talking about with how he viewed women, but I can say that you are totally full of crap about his NBA career. He averaged 22. 5 points, 6 rebounds and 3 assists per game. That is pretty freaking productive.

UT has impressive wins over Arkansas and Kansas (both home games), but they have some really ugly losses as well. I think a 7 seed is about right (a 6-seed on the high side).

UT has 5 Q1 losses and 2 Q2 losses. Those aren’t bad losses according to the committee. Also, we have wins over 12, 14, 16, and 29 in the NET.

In comparison, Texas Tech is combined 5-9 in Q1 and Q2 while UT is 7-7. Colorado and Creighton both have Q3 losses, which aren’t good for the resume. OU is higher on Katz's board and is 6-8 in Q1/Q2 and 33 in the NET. You have to look deep into the numbers if you really want to start seeding teams, and I am not sure some of these guys spend the time.

Last edited:
Talk about being paid..... king got all kinds of perks while he was here..... what did he do to women...... his career was good but not as great as it could have been bc of knee problems.... not sure how being held accountable would fix that

Reactions: Smokey19rt
And not to mention that the same people who hate kneeling are totally silent when far more disrespectful things go on during the anthem (I.e. ordering food/drinks, going to the bathroom, walking up the aisle while talking to their friends, on their phones, etc.). Kind of weird.

If someone takes issue with kneeling for the National Anthem, I would be willing to bet the vast majority of the time they would take issue with those things as well. Unless you have specific evidence that shows otherwise, you argument has a hole big enough to drive a truck through in it.

iu

New Age approach to football

I heard Heupel say something about using the new age approach to football in his introductory press conference and I think I heard Golesh use the same or similar remarks. So the first thing that comes to my mind is hippies. Right? I mean what the hell is new age football? The very words made me cringe. smh.

Having no idea what that even means I figured I’d better look into it and see how weird it really was. I mean it’s who we are now, like it or not. I’d rather not be completely ignorant about it. I was imagining crystals or something. How would that work? Is Astrology involved? I needed to find out.

So this is what I’ve found so far. Pete Carroll. It’s his fault. At Seattle they don’t chew out players for making mistakes. In fact, cussing isn’t even allowed on the field. Are you serious? What happens if our players aren’t as big as Alabama’s players? We can’t shame our guys? What if they piss off a coach? Is he not allowed to threaten to cut them from the team?

That’s it. No more Mr. Badass coach. As best I can tell, that’s all it is.

Positive instruction and guidance, being empathetic I guess you might say when a kid doesn’t live up to the standard. Encouragement to continue working. Now both he and the coaches know that the best 11 guys are going to be the ones on the field but he isn’t going to be punished or treated sort of with negative reinforcement if he’s not in the 11 or gets replaced in the 11. It’s going to be pointed out what he needs to work on so he can get back into that 11 man unit.

Lest you get the wrong idea, it’s not a license to reject discipline. Accountability is maintained. It’s more about creating a positive environment and a sort of shared trust and commitment to the team’s goals between the coaches and the players. It’s not the coaches team and it’s not the player’s team. They all share “ownership” in the team and its success or lack thereof.

That’s my interpretation based on what I can find. Obviously, Heupel still has the responsibilities of a head coach and the other coaches have their responsibilities. The new age approach is how the coaches go about interacting with the players and presumably the way the players go about interacting with each other. I’m doing my best to explain this in a way that doesn’t freak you guys out. Let’s just say that after doing a bit of research I’ve come to the tentative conclusion that our coaches are probably NOT hippies. jmo.

Like I said, Pete Carroll’s Seattle Seahawks is the model for this New Age approach to football and it’s gaining increasing interest across the country, especially in NFL ranks.

In researching this I discovered that our local writers didn’t even bother trying to figure out what Josh was talking about. It appears that they assume it’s fast tempo offense and aggressive defense, like no one has ever done that before. smh. I’m pretty sure they don’t know what they’re talking about but they’re pretending like they do. They pretend a lot I think. jmo.

Interesting. I had assumed this referred to their analytics approach. It seems much more suited to the pro game, where players are more mature and professional and the coaches seem more like baseball managers. I’d like to see some examples of where it has worked in the college game. If that’s the way Carroll handled things at USC I might be on board.

In the deep dark hills of Eastern Kentucky
That's the place where I trace my bloodline
And its there I read on a hillside gravestone
You will never leave Harlan alive

Lol, I was just playing this several times yesterday for the first time in a few years.

And not to mention that the same people who hate kneeling are totally silent when far more disrespectful things go on during the anthem (I.e. ordering food/drinks, going to the bathroom, walking up the aisle while talking to their friends, on their phones, etc.). Kind of weird.
Yeah they do.... it’s just not discussed on social media.

Make sure you hit Sedona in AZ. Also, very close to Sedona is Montezuma's Castle National Monument. I would recommend that also.
Of course...I have some really good pics of the Sedona area, Montezumas Castle and Well, and Apache Trail and GCNP from a trip I took in Dec 17, but they are on an old memory card, and I took them with my S8 that I had then. It took some really good pics, but not as good as this S10.

Reactions: hooter vol
Not sure what you are talking about with how he viewed women, but I can say that you are totally full of crap about his NBA career. He averaged 22. 5 points, 6 rebounds and 3 assists per game. That is pretty freaking productive.
He also won the NBA scoring title, while Jordan was playing, after 2 major knee surgeries

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back